Menu

'Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight' - or, can you recommend some books for me?

Noreen Claire

Has anyone read the book "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World"?

I'm looking for books on how to deal with my own (undiagnosed but painfully obvious) sensory processing issues, that just seem to be getting worse as I get older (though maybe it's the six extremely noisy-dirty-smelly-and/or-loud men that I live with now). I am not the mother to my children and wife to my husband that I want to be, and I think that it is past time deal with my anxiety and sensory issues. I would like to do some reading before I go looking for outside help. If you have any helpful books that you can recommend, I would be grateful. Thanks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Terabith said:

The Out of Sync Child Grows Up talks about sensory issues in adults and how they deal with them.  We got it for my 16 year old, but both my husband and I have found it helpful for ourselves.  

Thank you! I have put all of the related books on my list, as I have at least one child with related issues.

• Like 1

Well the book will *validate* what you feel but the answers are kind of generic, stuff you might have already thought to do. I agree the Out of Sync Chid is another book in that vein. But you may already be doing those things. My dd is like you, EXTREMELY over responsive for sensory, and while she needed words and validation, she also had figured out what helped and what made it worse. She just needed budget and freedom.

I think you also could consider getting OT yourself. Even just a few sessions, like one a month or once a week for a while with the right person might help you unpack a lot. If you go to Kelly Mahler's FB page for Interoception, you might be able to connect with an OT in your area doing interoception work. It's counterintuitive that working on self-awareness would help, but people say it does. And for me, and a grossly under-responsive person, it was life-altering. 

Other options?

-Do Kelly Mahler's online course on interoception. https://www.kelly-mahler.com/what-is-interoception/  It costs money to do the course, but it may pull together a lot of pieces for you. You could then get her adult workbook for yourself. 

-Yes, my dd found that SSRI/SNRI *do* help the sensory. I don't know why, just saying they do. So when you are considering treatment for your anxiety/depression, the meds *may* also help the sensory overload of hyper-responsiveness, yes. 

-You could research GABA. I've seen some discussion trying to correlate sensory hyperresponsiveness and GABA levels. I don't know if there's anything to it. No one really knows why it's happening, but it's was a possible explanation I saw. 

Beyond that, do anything you think you need. My dd has to go to great lengths to live in her body. I think sometimes we put all our money and time into caring for our kids and aren't taking care of ourselves. In this case, taking care of yourself IS helping your kids, both by making you a better mother and helping you recognize their sensory issues and helping them problem solve.

As far as not being the mom you want to be, well honestly I didn't unpack that till I ran genetics, saw what was going on chemically, and dealt with it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Has anyone read the book "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World"?

I'm looking for books on how to deal with my own (undiagnosed but painfully obvious) sensory processing issues, that just seem to be getting worse as I get older (though maybe it's the six extremely noisy-dirty-smelly-and/or-loud men that I live with now). I am not the mother to my children and wife to my husband that I want to be, and I think that it is past time deal with my anxiety and sensory issues. I would like to do some reading before I go looking for outside help. If you have any helpful books that you can recommend, I would be grateful. Thanks.

No, I don't have any ideas but this seems like the book for me.  I've struggled with these issues (without realizing that was what it was for years and years) but it has been made worse by living 24/7 with loud people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have pretty debilitating sensory sensitivities (and a diagnosis to go along with that). I’ve read many books on the topic (albeit, not the one you asked about). Most of the books I’ve read in that vein are usually most helpful for parents or caregivers who *don’t* understand what it’s like. That’s not you.

The book that has actually helped me the most is “The Mindful Way Workbook”, which is an accessible home study course in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

A nice set of noise-cancelling headphones, custom ear plugs (you can wear both at the same time 😉), a weighted blanket, and skin brushing all help me adapt as well. 

Good luck. I can relate that it sucks... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OKBud said:

Some of you may also be interested in reading Quiet. It can be helpful  in explaining to people why you need space, both figurative and literal, to retreat quietly, if not alone. 

Thanks, I'm going to look into that book. I left teaching back in the mid-90's and recently returned to ps. I've been shocked at how methodologies have been turned upside down and created environments that are extremely unfriendly to individuals who need quiet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

Thanks, I'm going to look into that book. I left teaching back in the mid-90's and recently returned to ps. I've been shocked at how methodologies have been turned upside down and created environments that are extremely unfriendly to individuals who need quiet. 

You know, I've thought before about how I used to tolerate things better. I'd previously concluded I've gotten worse at dealing with things (loud noise, stimulation of various kinds) as I've gotten older. But maybe it's that the environment has changed. Or a combo of both.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cosmic Ripple said:

A nice set of noise-cancelling headphones, custom ear plugs (you can wear both at the same time 😉), a weighted blanket, and skin brushing all help me adapt as well. 

You had me up until 'skin brushing' and then I got the heebie-jeebies! Gah! No one touch me! 😬 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jentrovert said:

You know, I've thought before about how I used to tolerate things better. I'd previously concluded I've gotten worse at dealing with things (loud noise, stimulation of various kinds) as I've gotten older. But maybe it's that the environment has changed. Or a combo of both.

Sometimes I also think it's because as an adult there are things that I can and do control most of the time, and when I can't it's much  more noticeable now. I've used unscented laundry products for years but during the school year one day I had to wear a t-shirt someone else had laundered with scented laundry detergent.  When I was young I would have noticed it and perhaps been annoyed. But I spent the whole day wanting to escape that shirt!

• Like 1