Menu

Fortnite

LauraBeth475

It’s violent, but cartoonish.

Pros: Free. Games are super short so there’s no need to play forever and easy to limit - play three rounds or whatever. Good for talking to friends.

Cons: Obviously a lot of kids find it addictive. The violence is still present even if it’s not gory. It’s free but some kids really like to spend money on things anyway.

It was a passing fad in our house ages ago.

• Like 1

Mine did in middle school.  Glad they are done with it LoL.  

If you do let them, I would establish very clear time limits per day and STICK TO IT!  It is a big time suck.  But...given the circumstances, I would probably let them.  As long as things you want to do, school work, exercise, chores are done before they play.

Mine got tired of it because they made a lot of changes that made it easy for the newbies to win without a lot of thought/skill and was not as challenging for those that were good at the game. My guys like a challenge.

ETA: We didn’t spend one cent on that game.  That was a rule.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Probably not, but DH would tell you PubG is better 🙂

Haha, I agree.  I call Fortnite "Minecraft Battlegrounds".  PUBG ain't for middle schoolers, though.

My older two play sometimes, usually when there's a new update or their friends or cousins are playing (I think DH has it set to where they can't ever hear/talk to non-friends over the headset).  They hopped on for a bit tonight before switching over to Plants vs. Zombies and Splatoon.

Meanwhile, I'm currently sitting here, leveling up my warlock on World of Warcraft.  Talk about a time suck, lol.

• Like 2

Just now, Terabith said:

Honestly, it's quarantine.  Everyone is bored and lonely.  We're not a Fortnite family, but we play MMOGs and use a lot of Discord.  Especially for middle schoolers, I'd be okay with it, especially now.  

This is my basic take. I mean, relax all the things, especially if they have social connections involved.

• Like 1

We're playing a lot more games than usual around here (and I'm personally a bit prone to a Civilization addiction) but I would rather avoid violence, chatting with strangers, or any kind of real time element where people suddenly don't want to go to bed because they have a battle or mission that has to happen now, ykwim?

Nope. We're not letting this genie out of the bottle, even for quarantine.  I'm not keen to let kiddo chat with randos on the internet yet. 

My 11 year old is still happy to play Minecraft, but he plays in creative mode by himself. Sometimes he'll video chat on the phone with a friend while they play Minecraft at the same time.