Menu

Why does my dentist seem desperate?

mom2scouts

I thought that our governor put a hold on all non-essential medical care in our state. Why is my dentist stalking me? Yes, it is time for my kids to get their regular checkup and cleaning, but other than one of them having a couple of cavities years ago, they have healthy teeth. It's not high on my list of things to do right now. Yesterday I got a postcard in the mail reminding me. Later in the day I got a phone message reminding me. Today I got not one, but two text messages reminding me. I guess they could be automatic reminders, but I wonder if the office is so slow that they're trying to keep working and convince people to come in.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

They're automatic messages.

Maybe, but I've never had all these reminders before and I'm really bad about making appointments before they're past due. Usually I get just one reminder. I guess we're getting so many because we're way overdue now?

Edited by mom2scouts

Presumably those are all auto-generated but in contrast, my kids' dentist's office just personally called me today to cancel and offer a reschedule for after April 1. I declined because I think they are being too optimistic with that date! I set a reminder in my calendar for September.

I have a dentist friend that is feeling desperate. She owns a practice with two offices and almost 20 employees. She had put in intense safety procedures and planned to stay open but then she had to shut down. (I don't know if this was a state mandate or a strong suggestion or what). 

She has her own family plus all those of her employees relying on the business bringing in money. I would say she feels desperate :(

• Sad 4

18 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have a dentist friend that is feeling desperate. She owns a practice with two offices and almost 20 employees. She had put in intense safety procedures and planned to stay open but then she had to shut down. (I don't know if this was a state mandate or a strong suggestion or what). 

She has her own family plus all those of her employees relying on the business bringing in money. I would say she feels desperate 😞

My college roommate is a dentist and had to shut down and she feels terrible.  

Since I posted this I got another reminder. This one was an email. It probably is just automated reminders using all the forms of contact they have. I think I'll just make a note on my calendar a few months from now to consider scheduling an appointment. 

This is a big practice that employs multiple dentists, hygienists, and office staff. I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting desperate!

I would think automatic reminders?  But either way, I'd not go in now for anything but urgent appointments.  I had an appointment to have a cavity filled last Monday.  I called that morning to see if I should cancel due to everything going on.  They told me to go ahead and come in.  I did (this was just a tad before everything really exploded with the CV so it seemed okay...), but when I got there, they apparently had JUST made the decision to not have any non-urgent appointments.  Actually, the dental association in our state encouraged this.  (Apparently dental work can be a big trigger for respiratory infections if there are germs present.)  So, we cancelled it right there on the spot.   They will no longer do any appointments unless it's super urgent.  That makes sense to me.  (Also, I really didn't feel like having a filling that morning, so that was fine with me!)

I also had an annual blood test cancelled (for nothing urgent), and a (preventative) cancer screening cancelled.