Menu

We bought a sailboat!

MeaganS

It's a little daysailer. It's a 15'4" boat called an Advance Demon. It was built in 1971 and they don't make them anymore. We got it for a steal (cheaper than most canoes on our Craigslist) but it is in pretty good shape and the previous owners took care of it. We only need to replace some if the lines and maybe polish the hull. Dh has been wanting to sail again since he got the merit badge in scouts when he was a teenager. So we're going to figure it out. We'll be sailing almost exclusively on lakes. 

Are there any other daysailing families out there? We want it to be a family affair and plan on teaching the girls now and as they get older. Any advice?

• Like 13

1 minute ago, rebcoola said:

Totally jealous. Dh and I lived on a sailboat when we were first married.  We would love to get back into but since it's all rivers here sailing is a little different and not popular.  Is it a wood boat or fiberglass? 

Fiberglass. The gel coat is pretty oxidized, so the hull looks dull, but our first order of business is to polish it and make it shiny again. Otherwise, no dings in the fiberglass and all the hardware and wire rigging are in good shape as far as we can tell. We plan to set it up in the driveway this week and make a list of what needs to be done by the time the weather warms up enough for me to willingly fall in a lake. We also need to replace some wood on the top of the metal rudder, but dh has a wood shop so that should be simple. They're just screwed on. 

It was pretty cool because even though it is almost 50 years old, it's only had 2 owners and the people we bought it from had all the original paperwork and brochures. They loved it and all their kids grew up using it, but they are in their 70s now and just can't use it anymore. 

20200211_130512.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It looks like fun!  My kids always seem to enjoy sailing more when there are other boats and preferably other kids around as well.  I would look into races, regattas, sailing camps, jr sailing, and yacht clubs. Join the local boating pages and social groups on facebook or meet-up.  

What fun!

I had a similar little daysailer (a Coronado 15) in my 20s and loved it.

Small sailboats like this make for very "active" sails, which I loved, although not so popular with those who thought it was going to be about lying about topside and getting a tan. He he.

My Coronado 15 fell into a well established racing class, and--if this sailboat does--racing is a good way to sharpen ones skills.

No matter what, great fun. On small boats like this one really learns to "sail."

I wish I had access to a daysailer like this today.

Congratulations!

Bill