Menu

What can I do at this point? (Flu related)

alisoncooks

My dad visited my brother on Saturday and then spent Monday-Weds at my house. Well, sometime (maybe Tues) we find out my brother and his 4 littles (2, 2, 4 and 6) are down with the flu. Brother had cold-like symptoms on Saturday but didn't realize the had the flu.

Dad was fine at my house but called just now (Friday) to say he'd tested positive for the flu. 😷

So...at this point what can be done? We've been living for 2 days with no special cleaning precautions. Should I still Lysol the heck out of the house? Take more elderberry? (Does that even help?)

Oldest DD has the sniffles today. Could that be the onset?  We've not had the flu in a decade -- I'm panicking, lol. 

• Sad 1

The thing about the flu, in my experience, is that it's a total crapshoot. My DD and I both caught it one year, and we were both vaccinated. The next year, my ex-husband caught it. He was the only one vaccinated at that point, and no one else in the house caught it. I think it's mostly a matter of doing the things you know you should do: Get sleep, wash your hands, etc. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’d go ahead and get a Walmart pick up order of ginger ale, mucinex, face masks, chicken noodle soup, Kleenex, etc so you’re not running out to get those things or at least being tempted to when/if you come down with it.   If you do feel it coming,  get to the dr then so you can get tamiflu quickly.   

This ^^^

• Like 1

I'd prep.  But I'd also push sleep, elderberry, fluid, no sugar, regular exercise, hand washing.  I've had kids who got it and no one else got it, so it is possible to be exposed and not get it for sure.    

When we've had flu, it has never started with sniffles or lower grade symptoms.  It's always been full force mack truck from the get go when we've tested positive.  

• Like 2

Me and my boys recently got over the flu.  DS1 got it on a Friday and DS 2 the following Sunday.  DS1 tested negative for flu and I didn't test DS2.  The next couple of days, I felt like I had something (but not super bad).  That Thursday, I tested positive for flu (and I'm really sure my boys had a mild case of it - I think I had DS1 tested too soon to show up).  Anyway, I was with my dad for about 6 hours that Tuesday, including eating lunch with him.  Looking back, I'm sure I had a mild flu at that point when I was with him.  He didn't get it thank goodness :-)!!!

From my research, people are contagious from 1 day before to 5-7 days after showing symptoms.  If a person comes in close contact with someone with the flu, their symptoms should up between 1 and 4 days after exposure.

Flu lasts about 48 hours on hard surfaces so it is probably too late to worry about that now.  If it makes you feel better, you could wipe down door handles, light switches, phones, remotes, gaming controllers, computer keyboards, kitchen cabinet handles and appliance handles.  Definitely what everyone else is saying regarding rest, good eating, lots of fluids, elderberry.  We already had masks on hand so the 3 of wore them and my DH did not get it.

Since it is the weekend, hopefully ya'll can rest and relax at home.  I would stock up on groceries just in case.  Any kind of shopping was the last thing I wanted to do when I had the flu.

All of us had our flu shot this year.

I really hope you don't get it!!!  

Agree with preparing supplies (via pick up or deliver so as not to expose others), Vit C, elderberry...   good sleep, good nutrition, no sugar, exercise...as I read above

i would add a few things that I didn’t notice already : vitamin D, vitamin A,   (Also multivitamins) 

possibly zinc

possibly echinacea,  or other such immune boosting herbs (assuming no health reason not to)

foods: garlic, onion, oregano, (spices in general often have antimicrobial properties), Ginger, cinnamon...

chicken soup (good place for some of the spices to go) 

berries,

greens leafy vegetables, orange vegetables 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

So far so good. Oldest still is very sniffly/stuffy but no fevers or anything.

----------------

Are we safe to go to church tomorrow?  Are we out of the red or could we still be sketchy?

He left on Wednesday?  If it were me, I wouldn’t go tomorrow, but I am one to usually err on the side of caution.  And, becuase that would be day 4 from the date of possible exposure from your dad.

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

So far so good. Oldest still is very sniffly/stuffy but no fevers or anything.

----------------

Are we safe to go to church tomorrow?  Are we out of the red or could we still be sketchy?

To me this is up to you and depends on your kids.  If i had a really stuffy kid who wasn't good with kleenex use, I might stay home.  But if your kids are mature enough to use good hygiene and personal space, I may not stay home depending on your church set up.  

Crossing fingers things are still looking good in 2-3 days!  You may be in the clear!  🙂