Menu

What's your favorite part of Thanksgiving?

What's your favorite part of Thanksgiving?  

1. 1. What's your favorite part of Thanksgiving?

• cooking
    • cleaning
    • eating
    • visiting - being with family and friends (refereeing?)
    • celebrating (drinking?)
    • volunteering
    • shopping
    • watching TV - the parade, football, etc.
    • sleeping (dreaming of escape?)
    • nothing - other

I voted CLEANING. Cuz, what would Thanksgiving be without the stress of madly running around making sure a regularly clean house is cleaner than it ever is the rest of the year so you can please visitors who will be too tired from their own holiday madness to care.:blink: Yup. The cleaning is my favorite part.:tongue_smilie:

Have I mentioned that I like to be a poll skewer!!:lol:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

ETA: Hmmm. Maybe it's the cooking?? Could be the :willy_nilly:of hurrying to find the perfect meal/recipe/ingredients to pull together the perfect meal, that gets devoured in a fraction of the time it took to pull together.:001_huh:

:lol::lol:

Edited by plain jane

12:37 PM Please wait a moment for me to get the poll choices up.

Last edited by Apiphobic; 12:50 PM Thank you for waiting. Carry on!

12:39 PM Stufffing.

No, I mean my family and health, being healthy right now and enjoying it w/my family.

Oh yeah, and having electricity, where would we be w/o it. We had a blackout yesterday.

Ha! I guess my next question would be, "Do you only read the title of the post before replying or do you read the message inside, too?" :laugh:

Edited by Apiphobic

I chose "other". I almost chose visiting, but as much as I usually enjoy that part, it can also be the most stressful thing--particularly with certain relatives and because I'm an introvert. What I like best is the overall sense of family and tradition that holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas bring.

My family was pretty poor growing up. My parents were divorced and my mom did her best to make ends meet with no steady child support from my dad through waitressing jobs. With just three of us for holiday dinners and so little money, time, and energy, Mom tried to think of other ways to have special holiday dinners besides cooking a big turkey or ham dinner. She tried to make it a tradition to do things as non-traditionally as possible. Each holiday we would pick Mexican or Chinese or seafood food--always done cheap and often frozen foods--for our special dinner. Often Mom would be depressed because she couldn't do the holidays the way she would have liked to and that's when the un-traditions would become even more important to her. It might have been fun if I hadn't been able to see through it. I always tried to make her believe I was having fun with it anyway, but I longed for at least the semblance of stability that holiday traditions would have brought and I tried to pull some of the old traditions I remembered or had heard about off on my own.

My mom's family is very large but not close. My dad was an only child without much extended family and he lived far away from us. We never had large family gatherings.

Dh's family on his dad's side is both large and fairly close-knit. They don't have a lot of traditions, but those they do have they follow faithfully. I love being part of gatherings with this side of the family. Even if I am hosting or just busy helping, I love being part of it. I can enjoy working in the kitchen and just being surrounded by the feeling of all that family and tradition whether or not I'm directly involved in all of the visiting and conversation. After Thanksgiving dinner, dh's grandma starts getting the taffy ready to pull. In past years, I helped wherever needed with that, but now I relish my new role taking photos and recording family history being made. These are the kind of holidays I always dreamed of having. They aren't fancy or perfect, but they are all about family, tradition, continuity. It's a very comforting and reassuring thing.

I voted "visiting with family and friends," because I enjoy the part AFTER dinner where we play games and chat with friends.

But what I enjoy the MOST is the relief of "Whew, got through that." Meaning that the turkey turned out well (not still frozen inside!), the mashed pototoes got made, the stuffing was not forgotten. You know, the feeling that "we made it!" Next year I think we'll do a potluck to try and ratchet down the stress level a bit.

My son was very sick on Wednesday, but ralled in time to eat on Thanksgiving. With no scary after-effects!

Julie

Some people actually voted cleaning?? :001_huh:

My favorite part is seeing all the kids together and showing off the kids to everyone :tongue_smilie:

I also enjoy playing football, but this year I didn't get to :glare:

I love the cooking, the planning, blending the new and the "expected"...

And, this year, I was quite tickled to realize I spent two whole days of my life procuring and preparing nothing but orange food. Orange. All of it. Very strange.:001_huh:

Alright, I have to ask. What was on your menu?!?!?! I make green bean casserole. I can't imagine you made green bean casserole:smilielol5: