Menu

What kind of bread are you serving tomorrow? Can you believe the crazy people in my

Here's the one I used for white yeast rolls. The dough was silky smooth, and it had good reviews at the website. I haven't tasted them yet...waiting until tomorrow at dinner. I got the recipe from one of the recipe websites (maybe recipezaar?). It says it was from a Better Homes & Gardens 1953 cookbook. I changed the directions a bit to clarify some vague areas.

Dinner Rolls

Makes 16 rolls (it made 15 for me)

Ingredients

1 (1/4 oz.) pkg dry yeast (not rapid/quick rise)

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup milk, scalded (I did it in the microwave--not in too small of a bowl, or it'll overflow when it boils)

1/4 cup shortening

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1 beaten egg

3 cups flour

Directions

1. Soften dry yeast in warm water (110 F)

2. Combine the scalded milk, shortening, sugar and salt

3. Cool to lukewarm (I used my candy thermometer to make sure it got down to 110 F)

4. Add yeast, mix well

5. Blend in egg

6. Add flour and mix until dough is well blended (I used my Kitchenaid with dough hook)

7. Place in greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise. (I spray plastic wrap with non-stick spray and cover with that)

8. Let rise until double (probably 30 min. or more)

9. Punch dough down. Tear off golf ball-size pieces and shape into balls (I shape it like a mushroom top, tucking the dough under, then pinching it together underneath). Place dough balls onto greased baking sheet.

10. Cover and let rise (again, I spray plastic wrap and cover with that) until the dough is the size you want your finished rolls to be. (Mine took a couple of hours)

11. Bake at 375 F for 13-15 min. or until golden brown.

Edited by gardening momma

I haven't made bread in months, but I did for Thanksgiving even though it is just "us". Wheat based foods for tomorrow:

Dinner rolls - made from soaked Prairie Gold Wheat tonight, backup of Sub rolls (twice the size but can be cut) which was also made from the same dough tonight. We should not need the sub rolls.

Cranberry Orange Muffins.

Cinnamon rolls as part of breakfast. Muffins can go here as well or with dessert.

Stuffing - probably 1 with meat, one without.

Apple Pie - has wheat crust.

We were invited to our neighbors - expecting 18-20 people. She said they had everything covered but they weren't serving any bread! I was like, huh? I said "you will be if I'm coming!" I bake really yummy homemade rolls! You have to have bread, loaded with real butter - it's Thanksgiving! :D

I just made the spelt muffins that are on the back of the Spelt Flour package (Bob's Red Mill). They are so easy that it is almost embarrassing. I used honey instead of brown sugar, so they would act more like bread than muffins, if you know what I mean.

Yummy! If you have trouble finding the recipe on Bob's Red Mill site, let me know.

I was asked to bring dinner rolls to my mil's today. I'm making yeast dinner rolls with white flour. I'll bake two batches. One I place the dough balls spaced out on a cookie sheet, so they're lightly brown and crusty all around. The other set I place side by side in a greased baking dish, so the tops get lightly browned and crusty, but the sides are nice and soft. Some of my guys like the first kind, while I prefer the second.

The amazing thing here is that I'm the only one who will put butter on my rolls. When I've hosted dh's family for Thanksgiving (upwards of 70 people), only about 2 tablespoons of butter have been used -- by me!

We never have bread at Thanksgiving, other than the stuffing.

Ria

Heresy!:D

DH insists on homemade rolls at holiday dinners. (Well, the ones hosted by us. When we are at someone else's house he eats what they serve--and then mourns the lack of homemade rolls to me later, in private.)

Lest he sound like an ogre--he also cheerfully makes said rolls, and the turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. (I do the stuffing, er . . . dressing, sweet potatoes, and pies.)

Here's the one I used for white yeast rolls. The dough was silky smooth, and it had good reviews at the website. I haven't tasted them yet...waiting until tomorrow at dinner. I got the recipe from one of the recipe websites (maybe recipezaar?). It says it was from a Better Homes & Gardens 1953 cookbook. I changed the directions a bit to clarify some vague areas.

Dinner Rolls

Makes 16 rolls (it made 15 for me)

These turned out dry, dry, dry. I won't use this recipe again. Sorry to have suggested it! I did not overbake them, so I don't know what the problem was (at least, they didn't look overdone).