Menu

Should my son go in to work today?

Garga

Has had a fever since Monday.  On Monday it was about 101 and he slept all day.  Since then, he’s been improving.  Has a runny/stuffy nose, a bit of chest congestion, and a very low fever that has been coming down a bit each day.

Today there is no fever, but still the runny/stuffy nose and touch of chest congestion.

He works at McDonalds.  

When I worked, I worked in an office and I absolutely would have gone to work with no fever and the congestion.  It’s a cold, you know?  And if there’s no high fever, you don’t stop life for a cold.

But he works in food prep.  He is the one who makes the food on the grill or assembles the sandwiches.  He does wear gloves....but...the nose issues.  

He doesn’t know if he should call in or not.  He’s only 14 and works only 2 or so evenings a week. He called in on Tuesday when the fever was worse (still at 100.# or so) and now it’s Friday and he doesn’t know what to do. He wants me to ask the hive.

What do you think he should do?  Go to work in food prep with a cold?  Call in sick?

Edited by Garga

No. He should stay home, imo. 1) because he’s in food prep and most likely still contagious fever or not and 2) he probably still needs another day of rest. 

just out of curiosity, I didn’t know 14-year olds could work! Is this something by state I wonder? Not to hijack, I’m just completely fascinated by this! When I was a kid, you had to be 16 and I assumed it was still that way, everywhere, bc I’ve never researched it. 

Edited by mmasc
Typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

No. He should stay home, imo. 1) because he’s in good prep and most likely still contagious fever or not and 2) he probably still needs another day of rest. 

just out of curiosity, I didn’t know 14-year olds could work! Is this something by state I wonder? Not to hijack, I’m just completely fascinated by this! When I was a kid, you had to be 16 and I assumed it was still that way, everywhere, bc I’ve never researched it. 

Ok—he’s going to call in sick today.  

He can work at 14 in our little town.  I’m not sure this is state by state or urban area by non-urban area, or a mixture of the two.  I think that even if they’re allowed to work at 14, the urban areas simply don’t hire them because they have more applicants who are older.  

I live in a small town, though, and the local McDonalds (the only fast food restaurant in a 10 mile radius) is filled with the local teenagers working there and a lot of them are under 16.  But I’ll bet that if we headed to the cities an hour away, that probably wouldn't be the case.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mmasc said:

No. He should stay home, imo. 1) because he’s in good prep and most likely still contagious fever or not and 2) he probably still needs another day of rest. 

Kids can work at 14 in our state, there are limitations on the kinds of work and the hours they can work.

It's a state by state thing usually.

• Thanks 1

Since it’s food prep and surrounded by other crew members in an enclosed environment, I’ll call in sick especially when he doesn’t need the wages. 

For office work, it depends. My husband has worked from home when he is sick and many coworkers are sick. I have worked with a runny nose when I am the only person in a back room (stocktaking, so can’t work this task from home), so little to no chance of spreading germs to anyone, I did take Claritin to stop the runny nose. 

Kids can work at 14 in the summers here. I think it's older during the school year, but I'm not sure. They have to have their school sign off though, until some other age. Maybe 16? I remember that we used to do this for 8th graders right before summer break when I was a small school administrator. Ds had a summer job this past summer at 14 and there was paperwork.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad he's calling in sick. The general rule is 24 hours fever free (not sure if I saw that mentioned) because viruses often have fevers that come and go, and they tend to come only in the evening sometimes.

In my area, a lot of McD's have signs in the drive-through window advertising that they hire at 14, and I've never seen that anywhere else. I think it must be a company-wide initiative to hire younger workers. Our local laws limit work at 14 and 15 to certain hours of the day, not just a certain number per week. I think the hours get a lot less restrictive at 16. 

2 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

It depends on the state. Since I was that age CA has actually loosened the requirements and made it easier for 14-year-olds to work. I am surprised he's legally allowed to work the grill, though. When I worked at McDonalds you couldn't even touch the fryers if you were under 16. 

He can work the grill, but not the fryers. Or at least that’s what they do where he is.  Maybe they’re not following law??