Menu

breakfast ideas for teen with food sensitivities

caedmyn

I'm having a hard time coming up with quick and easy breakfast foods with some protein for my 14 yo.  She is sensitive to dairy and oats and we normally eat gluten free also.  She also will not eat sausage.  Before we realized that she was having problems with dairy she liked to eat yogurt or an orange julius smoothie knockoff that had yogurt and milk in it.  She's not found another smoothie recipe that she likes, but it would be really helpful if I could find a dairy free smoothie recipe with some protein that she would eat.  Also open to any other dairy, gluten, oats, and sausage free ideas!  One can only eat scrambled eggs (the only type she likes) for breakfast so often...

I would recommend any of the GF grain substitutes for normal breakfast foods, and almond milk in place of dairy. That’s how we roll here....most kids need a bit of carbs in the morning.

So cereal + milk

toast + peanut butter + banana

breakfast burritos (corn tortilla)—usually chicken, cheese and avocado with salsa for one kid/ sausage, egg, potato in a white tortilla for the other. 

I haven’t found a dairy free protein powder that I like. The pea based stuff upset my stomach.

You might have her google GFCF breakfasts and see what appeals to her.

Nuts/nut butters or peanuts/peanut butter can be a good protein source alternative to egg if she doesn't like meats in the morning.

Smoothie protein subs could be nuts/seeds, tofu, or protein powders. I'm not a fan of the protein powders. I feel whole foods are better.

My allergy kid will often eat something with protein and then have a fruit based smoothie with it.

Consider also that breakfast doesn't have to be typical breakfast foods. It may take a little mental switch to start, but my food allergic teen's breakfasts aren't typical breakfast foods most of the time. 

12 hours ago, bensonduck said:

Is miso soup gluten free? My kids eat that for breakfast a lot (the kind with greens and tofu). 

Depends on the kind.

SoDelicious coconut yogurt is a hit with DS. I've been eating cream of buckwheat with almond milk, raisins, pecans, cinnamon, and a little bit of maple syrup.

For smoothies, I use frozen strawberries, frozen banana, raw baby spinach, some almond milk, a splash of orange juice, and a little cold water. There are recipes out there that incorporate some almond butter or peanut butter as well.

We rarely eat traditional breakfast foods. Leftovers from dinner the night before are great for breakfast. Typical lunch sandwiches (tuna, lunchmeat, Pb&J etc.) are all fair game for breakfast here. With food sensitivities and allergies, we had to let go of preconceived notions of what was "breakfast food" or "dinner food". Honestly, your stomach doesn't care so long as it isn't an allergy or food sensitivity food. Once we let go of the idea that certain foods were only appropriate for certain meals, the options opened up considerably. I honestly love leftover veggies from the previous evenings dinner for breakfast. Cauliflower rice with mixed veggies in actually sounds delicious right now for breakfast lol. You could add whatever bit of meat you wanted for protein.