Menu

Well-Trained Bodies January 2020- Ring in the New Year with Exercise

Soror

5 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I have my first beginners yoga class this evening! I’m a little nervous because I’ve never done anything like yoga and also, it has been ages since I’ve done any type of exercise class I’m looking forward to it though. I’ll come back and report how it is. 

Best of luck. I'm sure it will be fine.

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

I also discovered that we have a "Skate through the Forest" facility nearby. I'm going to do this, for sure! It's a 3 km iced trail to skate on through the woods. Sounds amazing. I just noticed on their website that they have a few special evenings where there is night-time skating lit up with torches along the trail. So cool!! 😀

What fun!

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

As a parent of 4 dc and a hormonal woman, I've not had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep in decades. 😂  It's not even an expectation of mine.  I'd just like something to help me get BACK to sleep and to shut my mind from rehashing the same annoying and often negative thoughts. 

My weird routine: get up, go to the loo, read an article on the loo for five to ten minutes, go back to bed, do a body scan meditation, then imagine taking my dog for a walk - in extreme detail, yard by yard..

Yesterday's Pilates was good, I think. Very slow and detailed. I came home and did my daily yoga too. Otherwise I just did a brisk walk at lunchtime.

Today I ran errands at lunchtime then Nordic Walked at sunset/by moonlight. I'll do my Adriene yoga shortly. A good day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

If I stay in bed, I won't fall back asleep. I have to get up, move around, do some light housework, read, reset the brain.

There is some research suggesting that the expectation humans should sleep for an uninterrupted eight hours is historically unnatural and that biphasic sleep is more natural - two separate sleep phases of several hours, separated by a period of waking. Older literature refers to "first sleep" and "second sleep". So, waking up in the middle of the night may be a normal thing and not pathological.

I've read this too, in one of the aging books I've read- maybe "Brain Rules for Aging Well?"  I remember reading and looking forward to that.  My elderly neighbor sleeps this way, and when she told me about it, it just sounded lovely- a few quiet hours to one's self in the middle of the night!  Something to look forward to!  As for me personally, I sleep like a log and, while accuracy may be off, my watch seems to think I get a ridiculous amount of deep sleep.  I've always been a solid sleeper, but my numbers are almost ludicrous compared to what google claims is "the norm".  

As for my week, I haven't gotten in exercise.  Grrr.  Now that DH is back to work and we are back to schooling, I am low on motivation when dinner time rolls around and DH arrives home and it's already dark and cold out.  I need to get back to AM exercising, because the weekend warrior thing is not a great plan.  I just friended an IRL friend on Strava though, so now I'll have some accountability.  LOL.  

Eating has been quite good, though!  Lots and lots of fruits and veg and legumes!  

• Like 3

Hello all!

Feeling a little off kilter since it has been a weird week with getting back to homeschooling, family visits, dentist appointments, random busyness.  I did manage a short run yesterday afternoon but wasn't really feeling it.  Today should be "normal" though (relatively speaking, ha).  Lifting this morning since it didn't happen yesterday, CKD tonight.

@wintermom High today is expected to be 80 degrees!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hello all!

Feeling a little off kilter since it has been a weird week with getting back to homeschooling, family visits, dentist appointments, random busyness.  I did manage a short run yesterday afternoon but wasn't really feeling it.  Today should be "normal" though (relatively speaking, ha).  Lifting this morning since it didn't happen yesterday, CKD tonight.

That weather sounds wonderful!! Difficult for skiing and outdoor skating, though. 😉  

It's always a struggle for my family the first week back in action after the Christmas holidays - as well as everyone in the city. The traffic is nuts, and the weather is usually nuts as well. The  university and college students are all back at a new term many of them riding the public transport along with all the the civil servants, with a completely new bus schedule. Always "fun" times! My dh and dd have no idea when our local buses come now. 😋

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I've read this too, in one of the aging books I've read- maybe "Brain Rules for Aging Well?"  I remember reading and looking forward to that.  My elderly neighbor sleeps this way, and when she told me about it, it just sounded lovely- a few quiet hours to one's self in the middle of the night!  Something to look forward to!  As for me personally, I sleep like a log and, while accuracy may be off, my watch seems to think I get a ridiculous amount of deep sleep.  I've always been a solid sleeper, but my numbers are almost ludicrous compared to what google claims is "the norm".  

As for my week, I haven't gotten in exercise.  Grrr.  Now that DH is back to work and we are back to schooling, I am low on motivation when dinner time rolls around and DH arrives home and it's already dark and cold out.  I need to get back to AM exercising, because the weekend warrior thing is not a great plan.  I just friended an IRL friend on Strava though, so now I'll have some accountability.  LOL.  

Eating has been quite good, though!  Lots and lots of fruits and veg and legumes!  

1 step at a time, and eating well is so important. I hope Strava is a good motivation and you get back in the habit.

16 hours ago, sassenach said:

Got 3 workouts in this week. Piloxing was a rough reentry, as expected, but I feel great. W30 is moving right along. 

Great job this week.

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

The freezing walk in the woods with friends was very nice. It was just me and the 3 teen boys for dinner tonight, so we had sandwiches. I actually took my food up to the bath to relax, warm up and read. It was wonderful! 

Oh, that does sound very lovely.

33 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hello all!

You have had a very busy week, starting back to school is enough. Hope you have a good one and I'm beyond jealous of the weather.

I had a good visit at the gym last night, box jumps, various exercises to work on pistol squats, TRX 1 leg squats, walking lunges, etc. Then I did 10 minutes on the stair stepper (that doesn't feel super hard but the sweat rains when I do it) and then 1.5 miles on the treadmill- 4-4.2 mph. I plan something light this morning and then this afternoon 30 min Pound class with friend. No run today, I'll have company and the class this evening will be pretty cardio heavy anyway.

Sleep was better last night, just got to keep it a high priority to work on.

I have been eating more fruits and veggies this week, ya! I've ate a bit less but activity has been less, aiming to even it out, I guess we'll see next week on the scale if I did.

• Like 3

It's warmer today, thank goodness! I'll be walking/hiking with friends this afternoon. Might try to squeeze in a short ski if I can wake up properly. I slept like a log last night for a solid 8.5 hours. Only woke up to drive my ds to band practice.

Here's a super cute, very short video of what it's like being a small child in the north in the winter.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/videos/gallery/snow-shovelling-kid-out-of-newfoundland-is-the-best-thing-youll-watch-today/sharevideo/6121041533001

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

It's warmer today, thank goodness! I'll be walking/hiking with friends this afternoon. Might try to squeeze in a short ski if I can wake up properly. I slept like a log last night for a solid 8.5 hours. Only woke up to drive my ds to band practice.

Here's a super cute, very short video of what it's like being a small child in the north in the winter.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/videos/gallery/snow-shovelling-kid-out-of-newfoundland-is-the-best-thing-youll-watch-today/sharevideo/6121041533001

Enjoy the hike with friends. Ya for sleep! I cannot get the video to load, I'm imagining the scene from the Christmas story 🙂

20 min of Tai Chi, with a short breathing meditation at the end.

The girls are still sleeping so I should do something like mop but instead I'm going to work on exercise plans as I'm formulating what I want to be doing and how I want my weeks to look.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

Enjoy the hike with friends. Ya for sleep! I cannot get the video to load, I'm imagining the scene from the Christmas story 🙂

20 min of Tai Chi, with a short breathing meditation at the end.

The girls are still sleeping so I should do something like mop but instead I'm going to work on exercise plans as I'm formulating what I want to be doing and how I want my weeks to look.

Sorry. I'll try again. It's essentially a toddler shoveling snow beside a parent. He bends over while shoveling and his head touches the ground and he gets stuck in the "A frame" position. Parent grabs the back of his parka, lifts him to a standing position, and they both get on with shoveling the driveway as if nothing happened. 😂

The really funny part is that this scene ended up on CBC television. We've all been there and watched our young kids struggle with all the winter jackets, snow pants, boots, hats and mitts essentially doubling the weight of a child. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Sorry. I'll try again. It's essentially a toddler shoveling snow beside a parent. He bends over while shoveling and his head touches the ground and he gets stuck in the "A frame" position. Parent grabs the back of his parka, lifts him to a standing position, and they both get on with shoveling the driveway as if nothing happened. 😂

The really funny part is that this scene ended up on CBC television. We've all been there and watched our young kids struggle with all the winter jackets, snow pants, boots, hats and mitts essentially doubling the weight of a child. 😉 

Sweet!

I loved the descriptions in the Canadian Armand Gamache books of winter toques. 

-------------------

Just a brisk walk this lunchtime, and I'll fit in my yoga this evening before going out to a harp concert.  Or I might need to double up my yoga tomorrow - no bad thing.  I hope to Nordic Walk tomorrow or the next day.

• Like 3

LOL how cute!

I had a nice day of visiting with friends.

Pound Class in the evening with my friend. I didn't particularly care for it myself, too easy and using the sticks just seemed stupid at times, maybe if you really into drumming or air drumming.

We're planning a relaxing, lazy weekend. Dh has a weekend off before starting back for the spring semester and it is supposed to rain all weekend. I need to finalize my training plans but I'm getting closer (I think). 

• Like 3

Thankfully yesterday was a routine day for us and I was able to get back to my usual stuff.  I had a great strength training session in the morning, except I ran out of time to finish my last circuit.  CKD was also really good last night.  Apparently the belt test on the 25th is going to be fairly rigorous, so I'm looking forward to running some drills this morning to make sure I can execute all the old stuff without having to pause and think.  That will probably be the only exercise I get today except moving piles and piles of books around--I talked my husband into installing another bookcase, WOO HOO!  Momma needs shelves, ladies!

I got a lot of comments last night (from folks I hadn't seen much since before Christmas) about my weight and what I do for workouts and food.  When I weighed myself this morning I was only down to 138.2 (new low, but only a smidge lower) but my measurements had all gone down a noticeable amount.  I'm feeling pretty good too, I think mostly because I've been working valiantly at getting more sleep.  Anyways, nice to have a little sweet spot going on here...before PMS comes and plays havoc, LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Thankfully yesterday was a routine day for us and I was able to get back to my usual stuff.  I had a great strength training session in the morning, except I ran out of time to finish my last circuit.  CKD was also really good last night.  Apparently the belt test on the 25th is going to be fairly rigorous, so I'm looking forward to running some drills this morning to make sure I can execute all the old stuff without having to pause and think.  That will probably be the only exercise I get today except moving piles and piles of books around--I talked my husband into installing another bookcase, WOO HOO!  Momma needs shelves, ladies!

I got a lot of comments last night (from folks I hadn't seen much since before Christmas) about my weight and what I do for workouts and food.  When I weighed myself this morning I was only down to 138.2 (new low, but only a smidge lower) but my measurements had all gone down a noticeable amount.  I'm feeling pretty good too, I think mostly because I've been working valiantly at getting more sleep.  Anyways, nice to have a little sweet spot going on here...before PMS comes and plays havoc, LOL.

Wow, belt testing is coming so soon, I am certain you will rock it! I'm jealous on the shelves, one day I want to go crazy at Ikea for the basement.

Congrats on the progress and sleep, the weight is just a number, amazing how that works. Are you not having difficulty anymore with the coldness? That part worried me as it is a big thyroid symptom.

My sleep has been much better this week than last, even with the early wake ups. I've been going to bed so early I am getting in a decent amount of sleep, if not optimal. I made it until 4 am today. And hormones, ha, I think sleep is something we'll have to keep fighting for. My period is due in a couple of days, I'm doing very well considering that as it is always the worst then.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, soror said:

Wow, belt testing is coming so soon, I am certain you will rock it! I'm jealous on the shelves, one day I want to go crazy at Ikea for the basement.

Congrats on the progress and sleep, the weight is just a number, amazing how that works. Are you not having difficulty anymore with the coldness? That part worried me as it is a big thyroid symptom.

My sleep has been much better this week than last, even with the early wake ups. I've been going to bed so early I am getting in a decent amount of sleep, if not optimal. I made it until 4 am today. And hormones, ha, I think sleep is something we'll have to keep fighting for. My period is due in a couple of days, I'm doing very well considering that as it is always the worst then.

Thanks for the encouraging words!  It will be so weird to put on a brown belt every day...not too long ago, brown seemed light years away.

Still freezing cold a lot of the time.  Actually, it's kind of like I have difficulty regulating my temperature in general.  I overheated in class a few times recently.  Seems like sometimes when I get stressed I get really cold.  Other times eating or drinking something cold gives me the chills and then I'm cold for the next hour.  Definitely having my hair wet or any kind of draft.  I never had this problem until a couple years ago and I'm not sure if it's weight loss, stress, iron deficiency, overtraining, or what.  It sure is annoying though.

Glad your sleep is better this week!  Do you think your hormones are better because of the progesterone?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Thanks for the encouraging words!  It will be so weird to put on a brown belt every day...not too long ago, brown seemed light years away.

Still freezing cold a lot of the time.  Actually, it's kind of like I have difficulty regulating my temperature in general.  I overheated in class a few times recently.  Seems like sometimes when I get stressed I get really cold.  Other times eating or drinking something cold gives me the chills and then I'm cold for the next hour.  Definitely having my hair wet or any kind of draft.  I never had this problem until a couple years ago and I'm not sure if it's weight loss, stress, iron deficiency, overtraining, or what.  It sure is annoying though.

Glad your sleep is better this week!  Do you think your hormones are better because of the progesterone?

Sounds like it would be prudent to get some labs done, IMO. The stress itself can cause thyroid, adrenal, and hormone issues. After developing thyroid disease I read all too often of stress preceding diagnosis. And lower calorie and carb diets along with training are a stress on the body, sometimes too it can be that bodyfat is too low, or for some you know they can have issues even though bf and weight are not all that low (Sims talks about that often). I think I kept my own carbs too low and trained too much and just did everything (we also had the stress of a house burning down 2 days before giving birth to #2), I just pushed and pushed my body, and my final pregnancy was a tipping point. With your training volume and keeping at a deficit for so long it certainly could be causing thyroid issues. I know I've also read for those that the issue was more of diet and exercise stress with proper feeding and recovery they were able to reverse this, for me with autoimmune thyroid disease mine has not reversed but I have got to the point I can manage it. My temperature regulation is still not perfect and it might not ever be but it is so much better. I used to not even be able to get in child's pose in yoga (and a million other things).  Adrenals are also to be considered that is your response to stress, pushing your body with exercise causes that feel good adrenaline and endorphins but sometimes we push too much and our body stays in stress mode, which is why we get that wonderful high after exercise but too much of a good thing is not so good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I'm the exact opposite with heat regulation. I'll drink something and get suddenly really warm and my whole body starts sweating. I'll strip down and things will be fine again. In a hot bath my lips start getting numb, and the longer I stay in the more the numbness spreads.

I just assumed this was hormones with perimenopause. Supposedly my thyroid is fine.  Women's bodies are just plain weird sometimes! 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, soror said:

LOL how cute!

I had a nice day of visiting with friends.

Pound Class in the evening with my friend. I didn't particularly care for it myself, too easy and using the sticks just seemed stupid at times, maybe if you really into drumming or air drumming.

We're planning a relaxing, lazy weekend. Dh has a weekend off before starting back for the spring semester and it is supposed to rain all weekend. I need to finalize my training plans but I'm getting closer (I think). 

Have an amazing weekend! Hope you both can relax and reconnect with each other away from all the stress you've both been facing. Are you going away, or staying put?

I've never tried a pound class, but I've done African Drumming classes, which I LOVE. I'd much rather think about the drumming than exercise when there's an expert drummer helping out. 😀

• Like 4

9 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Working towards the belt sounds exciting. And well done on the new body shape.

--

Walked the dog, and caught up on yoga by doing two sessions. We managed to rearrange a room this afternoon so I have a better yoga space.

Tomorrow: yoga and Nordic Walking. Possibly sea swimming if I'm feeling brave. It's meant to be sunny but cold.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, soror said:

Sounds like it would be prudent to get some labs done, IMO. The stress itself can cause thyroid, adrenal, and hormone issues. After developing thyroid disease I read all too often of stress preceding diagnosis. And lower calorie and carb diets along with training are a stress on the body, sometimes too it can be that bodyfat is too low, or for some you know they can have issues even though bf and weight are not all that low (Sims talks about that often). I think I kept my own carbs too low and trained too much and just did everything (we also had the stress of a house burning down 2 days before giving birth to #2), I just pushed and pushed my body, and my final pregnancy was a tipping point. With your training volume and keeping at a deficit for so long it certainly could be causing thyroid issues. I know I've also read for those that the issue was more of diet and exercise stress with proper feeding and recovery they were able to reverse this, for me with autoimmune thyroid disease mine has not reversed but I have got to the point I can manage it. My temperature regulation is still not perfect and it might not ever be but it is so much better. I used to not even be able to get in child's pose in yoga (and a million other things).  Adrenals are also to be considered that is your response to stress, pushing your body with exercise causes that feel good adrenaline and endorphins but sometimes we push too much and our body stays in stress mode, which is why we get that wonderful high after exercise but too much of a good thing is not so good.

Thanks for all this!  Labs sounds like a good idea.  I have had the adrenal stuff on my radar too because I had panic attacks in college pretty severely and still have some issues, ugh.  I'd love to get my hormones checked and see how things are going with all that as well.

• Like 3

My morning CKD drill workout was great, other than the weather being extremely warm and humid.  I swapped in a short run for punching bag work since my knuckle is still a little tender from that hairline break in early December.  Finished hauling books and setting up my new bookshelf, which was a workout in itself, ha!  Got a good night's sleep too, so in all I feel like I finished the week well.  Today is a rest day, except I will be on my feet most of the time prepping and freezing Chinese dumplings for my mom's birthday dinner next week (yum, can't wait to eat them!!).  I'm hoping to get it all done by mid afternoon so I can have my usual couple of hours of Sunday movie watching with my husband.

• Like 3

Have an amazing weekend! Hope you both can relax and reconnect with each other away from all the stress you've both been facing. Are you going away, or staying put?

I've never tried a pound class, but I've done African Drumming classes, which I LOVE. I'd much rather think about the drumming than exercise when there's an expert drummer helping out. 😀

Just staying home, that to me is much more relaxing than going somewhere! Actually drumming would have been cool, this is like your just air drumming, meh, but you don't know if you'll like it until you try something.

42 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Thanks for all this!  Labs sounds like a good idea.  I have had the adrenal stuff on my radar too because I had panic attacks in college pretty severely and still have some issues, ugh.  I'd love to get my hormones checked and see how things are going with all that as well.

Have a nice day with the hubb! I think labs would be a good idea and also remember you can tweak things and see how your body feels, sometimes things may be off enough for you to feel bad but not enough to go entirely out of range. Increasing sleep is always good, rest days, alternating higher and lower intensity days, and increasing calories to maintenance for a spell or calorie cycling so not always in a deficit, increasing carbs, recovery work, deload weeks, could all help with the stress level on the body.

I had a pretty lazy day myself, I only managed 10k steps because I did some walking while watching tv 🙂 I thought about a walk outside but it was bitterly cold. We had to go work on flags in the morning for Scouts and it was just horrible. The temp wasn't bad but the wind was so cold and misty. 

I feel really good about the recovery work last week. I have a tentative training plan to test out. I'm still planning on keeping more recovery work and keeping 2 rest days (only stretching/foam rolling/walks).

Instead of more walks/runs at home I'm putting in intervals in with evening lifting- (1) it more simulates the race and (2) trying to work better not harder. I'm keeping with the pull-up program but mixing it up when I do carries as the race will have a variety of types, also adding in a squat variation as the program hits split squat and hip work but not squats. I'm planning to do one longer session w/ intervals at the gym a week. I'll be doing intervals jogging, walking at incline, burpees, stairmaster, etc. Morning work at home will focus mostly on recovery, stretching, yoga, etc throw in some playing around

I'm continuing to prioritize sleep and aiming for 7.5-8 hrs a day, w/ naps if needed. It is hard to get enough sleep w/ waking at 4:30 am so if I have to nap to get it in so be it. 

Mon: hill carries+ mobility work (bucket carry on hills at home high intensity but less than 15 min- I've got to work up to carrying MUCH more weight)

tues am: mobility/stretching/- pm- lifting w/ intervals- 

wed am: foam rolling

Thurs am: mobility/stretching; PM lifting w/ intervals- longer session

fri: long(er) trail hike (some run intervals) aiming for 3 miles plus (this might have to get moved depending on the week)

sat: lifting

Tomorrow dd2 is having her endoscopy so I'll teach in the am and then we'll be out the door after breakfast. It is about 2.5 hrs there and back, plus procedure time. It will be a long stressful day. The procedure is not a big one but anytime your kid is having stuff done and being put under it is a stress. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

I plan on doing hill carries today once it warms up, assuming it is not as nasty out there, tomorrow will be a 'rest' day (hmph not the most relaxing rest day for sure).

• Like 3

I'm also planning some food prep for today, a big pot of soup for my lunches sounds very good, just have to figure out what kind. We'll also need to get tomorrow's dinner ready, we won't have much time, so we'll move dd1's planned meal to another night, IDK I got to look at the menu and figure it out.

Food for this week is focusing on keeping up nutrient density (daily dozen checklist) with extra protein on lifting days.

Weight at 121 (up from 120) this week- could be PMS bloat, or increased intake. I'm going to continue on as I have- focusing on healthy yummy food and fueling activtiy, we'll see where I land next week.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Well, I ended up running both days of the weekend, and I decided to throw HR training to the dogs and run "hard" both days.  Result is that I ran a sub 10 minute mile, which I have not done in about a year, with my overall pace over the two days around 10:30s.  It felt great and while it was hard, it was not maximal effort or anything.  I guess my patience has run out on being a slow runner, so I'll be trying to pick it up at least a couple times a week from now on.  

Food went well, but I'm frustrated about weight.  I know that even healthy foods have calories, but I'm still frustrated.  I am going to speak to my endocrinologist, just need to make an appointment.  I don't think my thyroid is hypo, but I have a yearly check-up because I went hypo during pregnancies and he said that it's likely I will eventually need thyroid support in non-pregnancy life as well.  Maybe the time is now?  Or maybe I just want an easy fix... 😂

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Well, I ended up running both days of the weekend, and I decided to throw HR training to the dogs and run "hard" both days.  Result is that I ran a sub 10 minute mile, which I have not done in about a year, with my overall pace over the two days around 10:30s.  It felt great and while it was hard, it was not maximal effort or anything.  I guess my patience has run out on being a slow runner, so I'll be trying to pick it up at least a couple times a week from now on.  

Food went well, but I'm frustrated about weight.  I know that even healthy foods have calories, but I'm still frustrated.  I am going to speak to my endocrinologist, just need to make an appointment.  I don't think my thyroid is hypo, but I have a yearly check-up because I went hypo during pregnancies and he said that it's likely I will eventually need thyroid support in non-pregnancy life as well.  Maybe the time is now?  Or maybe I just want an easy fix... 😂

Good job on the runs. I'm sorry you are frustrated about the weight, if you had known thyroid issues in pregnancy there is a good chance it isn't quite right. A friend went through the same thing, she was eventually diagnosed after her last baby with Hashimoto's, the trouble is finding a dr that will run the right test for diagnosis and treat appropriately, hopefully care is better where you live. Still not an easy fix, took me 4 yrs to get meds stabilized, another year after that to get med timing correct- which made a monumental difference to how I felt and my capacity for exercise (I thought it would be some easy thing pfft, maybe for some but for many it takes some work to get a dr who is good and then find the right dosage and med combo), but it is an answer and starts you working in the right direction.

• Like 3

The weather is gorgeous today - around freezing and sunny. After NW I walked the dog, so I'm now at 12,000 steps. No swimming today: I need to take the Christmas decorations down in daylight, then it will be yoga and cooking.

Food today - breakfast: small bowl of muesli; lunch: scrambled egg alongside peas and roasted celeriac; supper: cauliflower and chickpea masala with silken tofu to thicken the sauce, and red rice.

ETA: managed 8 seconds in 'crow' today. Finding the balance place seemed a lot easier than before for some reason.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Tennis last night was fun, though I lost both my matches. It rained really hard all evening and started to freeze by 8pm. I could hear rain on my window during the night, but woke up this morning to fresh snow. I haven't been outside to see what the walking situation is. Dh and ds are at basketball and driving is supposedly alright. 

I will try to get out a hike this afternoon. Might throw on the snowshoes if it seems necessary. 

My sleep was horrible last night. I got numb fingers similar to carpal tunnel most of Saturday, and last night I could feel the numbing happening again when I lay on my left side (my favourite and best for sleeping). I tried to lay on my right side and my back, and was in pain. I put our down comforter underneath me and it was good.

I went for a massage on Friday, and this seems to be the start of the nerve issues. The pain I know will go away (I hope) soon, but I'm concerned about the nerve pinching. Anyone ever experience this? I'm going to hold off on more massage for a while and sleep on a very soft surface (our mattress is super hard), and just hope this all passes over. 

• Sad 2

@wintermom when I have had that it's been caused by a pinched nerve in my neck, usually because of sleeping wrong or a muscle spasm.  It's annoying but will go away.  Try heat on your neck.

@soror Good luck with your daughter's endoscopy tomorrow!!!  I hope the time will pass quickly and will result in a solid diagnosis.  Re: your program, looks you've got a good plan! 

• Like 2

I ran my 15k this morning and it was good. I ran the same course in September and beat my September time by 9 minutes. I came in second in my age group. 

This week I’ll take tomorrow as a rest day run Tuesday 5, Thursday 3, Friday 5, and a 12-13 mile trail run Saturday, yoga and strength Tuesday and Thursday, and barre on Wednesday. 

I’m tracking my food this month as part of a running group challenge. It’s always helpful to track every now and then. Makes me see where I am short. I’m realizing I need to add more protein.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

But don't faint or I will feel terrible!!!  I just read your other thread!!!

Thanks! I always keep the heating pad on low and things are fine.

This heat/cold thing with numbness is getting weird. I'm guessing that the massage and physiotherapy with dry needling and very low electric voltage may have just been too much. I was going once a week, alternating the massage and physio, but maybe I need more time to recover in between. Or maybe this stuff is actually contra-indicated for me if I do have some kind of nerve issues. I'll have to go see my dr yet again for "weird stuff" #6 happening to me. With my luck, this will also be related to stress, or hormones, or getting old. 😏

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

On a positive note, I went for a very nice hike in the woods with ds with the concussion. We also took the poodle, who was so excited that he had to try and pee on every single tree and shrub. Goofy pup!  😋

There's very little better than a goofy dog. I love taking our 13yo dog to the beach where she does zoomies (high speed circles). I sometimes have to help her find me again, as her eyesight isn't brilliant, but she has a lot of fun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

There's very little better than a goofy dog. I love taking our 13yo dog to the beach where she does zoomies (high speed circles). I sometimes have to help her find me again, as her eyesight isn't brilliant, but she has a lot of fun.

That is so cute! A lot of our dogs used to do those "zoomies" and they are so much fun to watch. 😀 The poodle has to stay on-least as he's an intact male and we're just fostering him for the guide dogs for the blind. Therefore what ever bush he is determined to pull toward, I have to either counter-pull or go along for the ride. I try to keep him in a sitting position to steady him, but he's very single minded. Luckily he settles down pretty quickly.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 9:11 AM, regentrude said:

If I stay in bed, I won't fall back asleep. I have to get up, move around, do some light housework, read, reset the brain.

There is some research suggesting that the expectation humans should sleep for an uninterrupted eight hours is historically unnatural and that biphasic sleep is more natural - two separate sleep phases of several hours, separated by a period of waking. Older literature refers to "first sleep" and "second sleep". So, waking up in the middle of the night may be a normal thing and not pathological.

I do this most nights. I'm up for about 30-60 minutes. I read on here, get a snack, let the dogs out, etc. When my 9 yr old was a toddler she'd wake every night in the middle of the night and we'd eat a banana and watch nature documentaries for an hour, lol. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 4

Ok, so in honesty I've been avoiding this thread as I have not been working out. Most days I've gotten about 13K steps, and one day I cleaned out the garage for 5 hours, lifting heavy giant shutters made of plywood and was sore from that, but no gym. 

Im REALLY struggling to work it in. Didn't help  that the pinewood derby was this week and we were behind on that, so evenings were spend working on race cars. And one kid was sick the whole week so couldn't take him to the daycare at the gym. 

I keep thinking I'll go at 4pm when the daycare opens up for the afternoon, that way my kids can play with other kids their age who are out of school for the day. But "stuff" happens and I don't make it, plus that interferes with making dinner, and that's when they want to play outside with the neighbors, plus then driving home in rush hour traffic. Ugh. 

So I think I need to go in the morning, before we do schoolwork. Which sounds almost sacrilegious - aren't we "supposed" to do school work first thing in the morning?

But...if I'm going to make this a priority, I don't see another way. 

I also added carbs back in at least in the evening, they seem to help me sleep and honestly I was getting too lightheaded between no carb and my ADHD meds. But I'm limiting them to evening, and added back in my cheater version of intermittent fasting (I allow myself coffee with creamer/splenda) and I'm down to 158.4 this morning. Started right before the new year at 162.2.

So that was nice to see on the scale!

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so in honesty I've been avoiding this thread as I have not been working out. Most days I've gotten about 13K steps, and one day I cleaned out the garage for 5 hours, lifting heavy giant shutters made of plywood and was sore from that, but no gym. 

Im REALLY struggling to work it in. Didn't help  that the pinewood derby was this week and we were behind on that, so evenings were spend working on race cars. And one kid was sick the whole week so couldn't take him to the daycare at the gym. 

I keep thinking I'll go at 4pm when the daycare opens up for the afternoon, that way my kids can play with other kids their age who are out of school for the day. But "stuff" happens and I don't make it, plus that interferes with making dinner, and that's when they want to play outside with the neighbors, plus then driving home in rush hour traffic. Ugh. 

So I think I need to go in the morning, before we do schoolwork. Which sounds almost sacrilegious - aren't we "supposed" to do school work first thing in the morning?

But...if I'm going to make this a priority, I don't see another way. 

I also added carbs back in at least in the evening, they seem to help me sleep and honestly I was getting too lightheaded between no carb and my ADHD meds. But I'm limiting them to evening, and added back in my cheater version of intermittent fasting (I allow myself coffee with creamer/splenda) and I'm down to 158.4 this morning. Started right before the new year at 162.2.

Congrats on the loss!  That's good motivation!

I work out at 8am and we start school at 9:15 (I have a home gym).  I absolutely love this.  It starts the day off right for me, and since the boys play outside while I work out, it gets the fizz off them as well so we can all settle down to table work ready to focus.  And you're right, stuff happens during the day and it's all too easy to let exercise get pushed off the schedule.  I don't like working out in the evening and the only reason it happens for me 3x a week is because those are martial arts classes at specific times that my son and I do together.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I work out at 8am and we start school at 9:15 (I have a home gym).  I absolutely love this.  It starts the day off right for me, and since the boys play outside while I work out, it gets the fizz off them as well so we can all settle down to table work ready to focus.  And you're right, stuff happens during the day and it's all too easy to let exercise get pushed off the schedule.  I don't like working out in the evening and the only reason it happens for me 3x a week is because those are martial arts classes at specific times that my son and I do together.

And...I got up and got in my workout clothes this morning, and told the kids were were gong to gym after breakfast....and younger DS still has stomach issues. He had no appetite when breakfast is usually the only meal he will eat well at. And said he was still feeling off and like he might have diarrhea. (not sure if this is part of the virus/fever he had last week or if he got glutened by the pizza hut "gluten free" pizza he ate the other night - but he had bad tummy troubles from whatever it is so I didn't push it)

So HOPING to go at 4pm, my older DS should be home by then to stay home with younger DS and the girls will go with me to exercise and get haircuts. 

• Like 5

I finally got my Christmas gift this past weekend.  

The buyers of our last house asked us to leave all the exercise equipment.  It was all dated, so we were fine with it.

I have been wanting a Peleton, but can't justify the price so I have been shopping around.  One huge issue I have is that I am very short, 4'11", and many of the bikes out there won't fit.  And there aren't many places to go try them out.  And it is hard to find inseam info on company websites.  

I found someone selling a barely used Spinner brand Spin bike for about 1/4 the retail cost.  And I have downloaded the Peloton app for free and will be trying out the app with my non-Peloton bike (those on the forum call those "Fauxlotons!"  🤣

Anyway, I did a 20 min. beginner ride last night and only lasted 10 min.  Hopefully I can do better tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Great!  I'm sure you will get the exercise routine sorted - it's hard with young kids.

5 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I used to walk first thing when I was home educating.  Otherwise, the day just got away from me.

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

So HOPING to go at 4pm, my older DS should be home by then to stay home with younger DS and the girls will go with me to exercise and get haircuts. 

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Anyway, I did a 20 min. beginner ride last night and only lasted 10 min.  Hopefully I can do better tonight.

Cycling muscles must be completely different.  I doubt I would last five minutes.  My husband mostly swims, and he gets exhausted by an easy five-mile walk - he just has the wrong muscles for it.

--------------------

Walked a couple of brisk miles at lunchtime and then another two miles with the dog after work.  14,000 steps.  It's blowing a hooley out there, but luckily it's not cold.  I just completed day 12 of my 30-day yoga.  The furthest I have managed before is day 13, so fingers crossed I can keep going.  I'm going to see my mum tomorrow evening, but I should be able to sneak in a session before bed.

Eta I managed some incidental strength work today. I had to spend over an hour scanning documents, filling in for a colleague. I stood on my left leg for the first document, right leg for the second, etc. I ended up with tired, shaky legs, which must be good.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

My planned hike with the dog ended up being a short walk home from the grocery store with a full backpack. I did cut through the woods (total bushwacking) so it was technically a "hike in the woods." 😂 

The snow is so dense from all the rain and ice that it is much more pleasant and fun to walk across the snow instead of walking in the slush on the sidewalks and roads. I felt a little like I was walking on water!  Downside is that shoveling this snow is impossible. I've never experienced anything like it. Think poured concrete that hardened and looks like snow. 😨

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Finally made it back home, too tired to say much, been a VERYYYY long day and I've still got Scouts to go to. I was hoping to get back in the swing tomorrow- that is of course assuming a good night's sleep and a nap in the afternoon, when I woke to go pee last night I couldn't go back to sleep for thinking about dd2's procedure. My throat is hurting this evening too, dh hasn't felt well all weekend we had hoped and assumed it was from stress and sleep dep (he just finished winter semester classes- 1 month- 6 credit hrs and it was rough) really hope it isn't a cold, so we'll see how I feel in the am. Dd2 did really well, no issues, results in a week, here's hoping they find something I don't know what's next.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Made it to the gym!

Walked for 10 minutes briskly to get hear rate up , little incline, then did the leg press machine, and the hip adductor and abductor machines, 3 sets of 10 reps each, then got back on the treadmill for another 15 minutes, then 10 minutes or so in the sauna. Mood is much elevated, feel much better. 

And I got a haircut on the way there 🙂

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

My planned hike with the dog ended up being a short walk home from the grocery store with a full backpack. I did cut through the woods (total bushwacking) so it was technically a "hike in the woods." 😂 

The snow is so dense from all the rain and ice that it is much more pleasant and fun to walk across the snow instead of walking in the slush on the sidewalks and roads. I felt a little like I was walking on water!  Downside is that shoveling this snow is impossible. I've never experienced anything like it. Think poured concrete that hardened and looks like snow. 😨

Wow, that's so crazy.  Gonna be a humid 83 degrees here today.

• Like 2