Menu

A thread for those facing or in unemployment!

My dh lost his job a month ago. He is looking, but there are not a lot of jobs out there. This week he took a temporary job, working minimum wage, in maintenance for a big box store. My heart breaks for him, but I know he will do anything he can to support his family. I have a part-time job for an inventory service company, but it won't pick up again until after the holidays, so we are just trying to get through. Thanks for any good thoughts that are sent our way.

Happy Thanksgiving!

dh was laid off back in june; he's a business jet pilot, and even in the Dallas area there's not work in that industry. he's had a few contract flights since being laid off, but that tends to be feast or famine.

the industry tends to follow a cycle of laying off pilots every 18 months/ 2 years or so. It took a few times being laid off before we were able to sock away enough to keep us ok while dh was unemployed. So even tho we've had little income, we're doing ok. His dad died back in June also, and that house will be closing next week. That will help a lot.

The company that laid him off is based in Ohio, and ohio's unemployment office has been jacking him around. can't exactly walk in and make a case, ya know? ;)

so if anyone owns a private jet that needs a pilot, let me know :D

he's also a flight instructor, but those are a dime a dozen in the area too.

right now he's hoping unemployment gets straightened out --he would receive more on unemployment than he would at a typical blue collar job. Plus, he prefers to be available to take a trip should one arise. So we're holding out before pursuing another job outside his industry.

good luck out there!

has been unemployed since the middle of March and after numerous interviews -- several of which we were told he pretty much had the job subsequently changing their mind -- he's still unemployed. So now he's home with the 3 kids while I'm working 3/4 time tutoring and teaching part-time at a school for learning disabilities.

The week that the stock market tanked was the week that job listings dried up. Before then it seemed like a real possibility that dh would evenutually find something. We're at the point now of considering futher education for dh but since we're struggling to pay bills sending him to school seems impossible. Since he only has a GED and no special training going to school is probably the best choice at this point.

The company that laid him off is based in Ohio, and ohio's unemployment office has been jacking him around. can't exactly walk in and make a case, ya know? ;)

Has he tried applying for unemployment in TX? The company may have paid unemp tax to TX rather than OH. Also, some states allow you to collect unemployment benefits in your state of residence and then that state settles up with the state to whom tax was paid. Unfortunately, each state makes its own rules so their is not uniformity from state to state.

I poked around on Ohio's website and couldn't find their rules for multistate employers. Here are IN's rules, and they are pretty typical:

C. Multi-State Employment

When an employee performs services in more than one state, a determination must be made regarding in which state(s) the employee earnings must be reported. The determination shall be made by applying the following test in the sequence indicated:

1. Is the individual’s service localized in one state? If so, the employment is reportable to that state.

2. If the individual’s service is not localized in any one state, does the individual perform some service in the state in which the base of operations is located? If so, the employment is reportable to that state.

3. If the individual’s service is not localized in any one state and the individual does not perform any services in the state in which the base of operations is located, does the worker perform any service in the state from which the employer’s services are directed and controlled? If so, the employment is reportable to that state.

4. If none of the above criteria are met, in which state does the employee reside? The employment will be reportable in that state.

Dh lost his job about a year ago and has made up about a third of his pay by freelancing. I went out and got a job, too, but the funding for that one is based on grants and we've only got enough to get all the employees through another six months. Then I'll be losing mine, which carries our health insurance. Unemployment is sooo low. It maxes out far below what he was making; the fact that he put in more than 20 years there, and the company paid unemployment insurance all of that time, means squat. It's been really disappointing to see how so little help is available. I feel like we've been paying for everyone else for years and years and now, the one time we need something, nobody gives a darn. I'm just being resentful, I know, but it's been really hard.

We could definitely use some prayers. For jobs, as well as our disappointed spirits.

Sandy

works in curriculum development and training, mostly for insurance/financial companies. which have been hit hard and basicly none are even taking apps.

he hopes to find a job that will at least pay 1/2 of what he is making now (which isn't saying much as he already makes low enough to qualify us for foodstamps!) and maybe a p/t job to make up the difference.

he'll get a small severance package, sans benefits, in one lump sum. We are praying that'll he'll have a job of sorts somewhere so that we can use the severace to pay off some of our bills and make it easier to get by on less income.

he figures at this point he's going to have to start over in a whole new field of work.

more layoffs are coming at dh's company.

Our plan is to "go down with the ship."

--So that he can cobra our insurance

--apply for unemployment

--get the entire severance package

THEN, the plan is

--I will get a (any) job

--He will look for a job for the duration of his severance & unemployement

IF he can't find a job

--we'll sell the house and move to my folks farm and become CSA farmers.

(personally I'd love to make this option A)

--become school bus drivers to pay for health insurance

-- manage my folks rentals (cleaning, renting, showing, fixing, mowing, shoveling, painting, etc.)

--my folks would move into one of their units.

My husband's job was eliminated in July. He has a BS in Accounting, a morgage license, and an insurance license. He has had only two interviews since then and no prospects what so ever. He is registered with 13 different employment agencies in our area. He checks online and sends out resumes daily. Unemployment will run out in a few months. Currently, we are recieving foodstamps and medical help from the state. So much for Christmas. Our stove died and the heat and brakes went out on my car. We cashed in our life insurance policies to cover expenses and have used up savings. Now I am facing the possibilty of cancer returning. I had precancer of the cervix and have not been able to go for a pap in a number of years. I went yesterday and they were unable to do it because of extreme pain. I go back on the 10th when they will have a surgical unit available so that they can provide sedation. I am scared to death. I do not have peace. I am praying about both situations and wondering where God is in all of this. I have to gjust let him take it because there is nothing I can do.

Last month Dh's company (biotech engineering firm) downsized from 35 employees to 11. He has been with the company for 12 years. He survived that hatchet job but now he is the only engineer. They are now picking off people one at a time almost every Friday. They are now down to 8 people. The company says they have enough to meet payroll until March 1st. The remaining employees were told to take their PTO (paid time off) because the company won't be able to pay what the employees are owed when they close the doors. We have a little time to get ready, but jobs are scarce around here. I need to dust off my credential & see if I can get into the substitute rotation again. We are trying to be optimistic.

Amber in SJ

Dh has been out of work for 1 1/2 years. I don't even know what to do. The man with a college degree cannot even land a job at home depot or a temp agency. He finally has one prospect, but it is in sales. The company seems solid and would provide paid training and a bonus for the liscensing that he would need, but he would be a private contractor and its sales. Scares me more than I would like to admit, but what choice do I have. Prayers here would be oh so appreciated.

you all and will continue. I can only imagine what you are going through. The scary thing is that with this economy, this could be any one of us on this board any day now. :grouphug: I know it's easy for me to say this because I'm not walking in your shoes, but God has not left you and He is fully aware of what is going on, trust Him. He will use this trial to mature you and teach you perseverance.

I know there's nothing I can say, but you're in our prayers. :grouphug:

Sandy

My husband's job was eliminated in July. He has a BS in Accounting, a morgage license, and an insurance license. He has had only two interviews since then and no prospects what so ever. He is registered with 13 different employment agencies in our area. He checks online and sends out resumes daily. Unemployment will run out in a few months. Currently, we are recieving foodstamps and medical help from the state. So much for Christmas. Our stove died and the heat and brakes went out on my car. We cashed in our life insurance policies to cover expenses and have used up savings. Now I am facing the possibilty of cancer returning. I had precancer of the cervix and have not been able to go for a pap in a number of years. I went yesterday and they were unable to do it because of extreme pain. I go back on the 10th when they will have a surgical unit available so that they can provide sedation. I am scared to death. I do not have peace. I am praying about both situations and wondering where God is in all of this. I have to gjust let him take it because there is nothing I can do.

Dh wasn't even granted an interview for a job, even though he was the only applicant. When he rang for feedback, he was told that he didn't address the key selection criteria well enough. Apparently, one mustn't write in letter format, but must use headings! They have readvertised, so dh is going to put in some headings, and we'll both cross our fingers that no one with prettier headings applies this time! That the job is out in the countryside where no one other than us would want to move has to improve our chances. This job is actually ONGOING instead of another wretched contract, so we really hope he gets this one. Most of the jobs are in the city where we can't afford to live, so there's not much to choose from. Not that it's going to be fun moving cities when I'm due to have a baby, but we'll do nearly anything for a permanent position! If he gets it, we'll be moving somewhere that has rain. That'll be pretty revolutionary. I might even be able to get a garden to grow! Housing is really cheap down there too, so we would be in a position to buy in another 6 months or year. That'd be wonderful.

Good luck to everyone else too. Unemployment sucks.

Rosie

Edit: Contract work also sucks.

Edited by Rosie_0801