Menu

is there an area rug solution for this issue?

ktgrok

I hate vacuuming/sweeping because I have to move, shake out, etc the area rugs - can't vacuum over them as the vacuum sucks them up. I WANT to get rid of them all (we are in Florida, cold isn't an issue) but the senior doggy with brain damage has lost muscle and he may have some back issues too and he slips and slides on the hard floors. So we have strategically placed area rugs so he can get up and down, and stop his slide when he runs, lol. 

I'm about to order several yoga mats that are easier to keep clean, but maybe there is a better way?

When our dog was old, we bought the cheapest runner we could find at Home Depot. They cut it off the roll, and it was ugly, but it worked. Even better, when we told the woman helping us what it was for, she marked our price slip for fewer yards than we actually got and said, “Bless you!” We cut it into sections and made a path over the laminate. No trouble vacuuming it.

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Do you have nonslip gripper or pad under your area rugs? We have always been able to vacuum over ours—trying to figure out what is different about your from mine...

High suction vacuum and the weight of the rugs make a huge difference. 

I can vacuum the large wool rug  in our  living room, as long as I am careful  around the edges. The lighter weight door rugs get sucked up by our vac. It is a high end vacuum. It has a vent you can open in the hose which makes a quarter size hole. Even with the vent open, it will suck up the regular carpet style mats.  

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

Have you used these? We've been having problems with one of our dogs anger peeing/pooping in the house when we leave. Are they really waterproof? It would be nice to be able to toss the rug in the washer when she does  that!

Unfortunately, no. I really want one, but it seems like something always comes up to bump it down in the buget. 😕 

8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Do you have nonslip gripper or pad under your area rugs? We have always been able to vacuum over ours—trying to figure out what is different about your from mine...

These are rubber backed rugs - so lightweight and machine washable. When I had heavier ones they didn't get vacuumed up, but they slid even with nonslip pad underneath, which was terrible. And they couldn't be washed - and between cats puking on them and kids spilling on them were basically disgusting. These are washed a few times a month, to get any grossness out and reduce dog stink. 

7 hours ago, Tap said:

High suction vacuum and the weight of the rugs make a huge difference. 

I can vacuum the large wool rug  in our  living room, as long as I am careful  around the edges. The lighter weight door rugs get sucked up by our vac. It is a high end vacuum. It has a vent you can open in the hose which makes a quarter size hole. Even with the vent open, it will suck up the regular carpet style mats.  

Exactly. This is a Shark duo clean and it just is too powerful for these light ones. 

3 hours ago, J-rap said:

My BIL put stick-on carpet squares in areas where his very elderly dogs would routinely walk.  It seemed to work!

I love this idea and got all excited until I realized I was back to "can't wash it". Although maybe the squares are cheap enough to just replace as needed. Hmm. 

We decided against Ruggable (but will revisit if their curling problems get solved) and ordered from Rugs.com. I got medium pile rugs with their thickest pad.  I haven’t actually run my regular vacuum on them yet, but my robot vac manages just fine.  They’re heavy enough that I don’t see it being a problem for a regular vacuum, except maybe needing to tilt to get on them. They aren’t light enough to “skitter”.

A lot of their pricing is similar to Ruggable, but I can’t toss them into the washing machine!

ETA: I *am worried about dog pee and cat puke, but I’m willing to roll with it. I no longer have to worry about it getting to unseen/unreachable padding or subfloor, and it wouldn’t kill me to get an occasional professional cleaning or replacement —- all the things I hated about wall to wall carpet but managed to (barely) survive!

Edited by Carrie12345

When our girl was elderly and slipping several years ago, we made a path for her out of those gray interlocking foam squares you can get at Lowe’s or Home Depot (the same kind that you can find in bright colors for kids). Granted, it wasn’t aesthetically pleasing, but they worked well and could be sprayed off with a hose to clean. (This was more of a short-term/few months fix as we knew she didn’t have much longer with us.)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ottomanson-Multi-Purpose-Black-24-in-x-24-in-EVA-Foam-Interlocking-Anti-Fatigue-Exercise-Tile-Mat-6-Pack-EFM-24-Black/302692940?mtc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D23-23_4_VINYL_FLOORING-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-NA&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D23-23_4_VINYL_FLOORING-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-NA-71700000033435153-58700003894707726-92700046329857798&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7pyrgOut5gIVip6zCh0DZg34EAQYAyABEgIIAPD_BwE

We actually used the colored ones many, many years ago down the hall of our house (laminate floors) when our first born was learning to walk. He always fell trying to run down that long space and they worked great and looked cute!