Menu

Crafters December edition!~

DawnM

I have bailed on my quilt as it is just too much right now, so I decided to order a blanket made instead from ProjectRepat.   I did cut the shirts and send them off, does that count?

Other than that, you all see I have been a little pre-occupied.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I have decided that in 2020, I am seeing through my fabric stash.  It got the Black Friday ads from JoAnn and my mom is a fabric stash enabler and keep encouraging me to buy more fabric.   (She who dies with the most fabric wins, right?)

Then I looked at the giant stash of fabric under my sewing table and said “NO!”   I am gonna use up what I have first.  Then next year I can go around buying all the fabric lol. 

Oh, the stash. I feel you there. I have s lot less time to see now that I’m homeschooling, so my stash has been sitting there barely used for four years or so. 

I used to have fits of optimism and add to it from time to time with fabrics purchased for a project I had in mind, but no more. 

My Christmas crafting plans this year are small: some coasters for my brother and SIL, and help DD make a couple of rice bags for gifts, and drill holes in a prepurchased piece of wood to make DD a cribbage board. 

Yesterday i did my first crafting in a long time, and whipped up three little patchwork ornaments. That did get me excited about sewing for Christmas, which I hadn’t been feeling motivated to start and that’s is how I end up at 9 pm on Christmas Eve swearing at the sewing machine, so that’s good. I may make some more ornaments just for fun, but I need to do coasters first.

• Like 2

0E3F9A8B-4AE1-4CD1-A91E-364AA2051C66.thumb.jpeg.2efe0921d51c5597cb8e92953ba9ed6b.jpegBCB2FEF5-943A-4941-80DA-16D9D8A4EC3E.thumb.jpeg.b47f2fe65077e278599f0f25c88cc0c5.jpeg58620501-009C-463F-A711-B34FD805F74D.thumb.jpeg.27fc6ed3c64f1611c1c44d17c1d353cd.jpeg
These are all pieces of a mystery sew along I’ve been doing. It’s supposed to assemble into a 36 inch table topper but I’m hoping to make it into a runner that I can use under our holiday buffet serving area. There is an additional present block. Dd is already finished so I’m clearly behind since she’s homeschooling four kids and I’m...not. 

• Like 9

Pretty much all hold-overs from my November list:

• Crocheted mermaid tail blanket for my daughter is closing in on halfway done.
  • Lady and the Tramp amigurumi/ornaments are done except I need to add hangers.
  • Monster amigurumi for my husband are kind of stalled while I shifted attention to the ornaments. 
  • Fabric and supplies are on hand for the two sewing projects -- pajama pants for my husband and microwave bowl cozies for my son's girlfriend -- but I haven't started the actual work on either of them.

The only new thing on my mental list is crocheting a rainbow wall hanging for my daughter's partner. Something like this, but with rainbow stripes:

46e7bdeb4e8685c5c16fb35677f96191.jpg

As soon as I get 10 minutes to think about it (basically, once I finish off the last assignment for my class), I'm going to dig through my yarn stash and see whether I have enough stuff on hand or might have to go buy yarn.

As of this moment, I am lacking any idea of something to make for my son. For various reasons, a lot of the old standbys like ornaments and pajama pants are not options. The last thing he needs is any more stuff, to be honest, but we have a tradition of me giving each family member some kind of handmade gift. So, I'm really not sure what to do about that.

Lady and Tramp.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, Annie G said:

9B10B02B-FFB0-4910-8415-D48223777168.thumb.jpeg.ee271fb6306fc1610edb1d70674f8b6c.jpeg
Turned the blocks for a wall hanging into a runner for my holiday buffet.  Finished size is almost 24 by 63. Hope to get it quilted tomorrow. 

Looks great! My tabletop is 13 by 41 I think......so maybe three of the blocks and no borders.

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Looks great! My tabletop is 13 by 41 I think......so maybe three of the blocks and no borders.

This ended up bigger than I wanted but it’ll fit. I wish it was more like 18 inches by 60. But it was fun to do- sew alongs are so much fun. Getting to see the fabrics everyone chooses and seeing the different blocks- it was fun!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 2:38 PM, DawnM said:

What are you doing?

How are the projects going?

Show us what you got!

I have no sense, but I’m still going to do it, lol. 

My last two little girls are in their “Little House” stage. I have two pioneer dresses to make complete with bonnets and aprons. 😉 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I have no sense, but I’m still going to do it, lol. 

My last two little girls are in their “Little House” stage. I have two pioneer dresses to make complete with bonnets and aprons. 😉 

When our youngest was little my mom made her a Pioneer dress, bonnet, apron. It’s still in the trunk that holds our family’s dearest memories,  Hope your project goes smoothly and your girls love them!

• Like 2

Okay, I said I need to do coasters, and I do, but I made another ornament, the blue and white one in the pic. It is even smaller than the first ornaments I made. I love tiny things. I’m going to use it as a present topper for a gift for a party this Friday.

CC488CBB-8904-4FB1-96AD-DCB68B780CCB.jpeg

Edited by emba56
  • Like 7

I am currently attempting to de-clutter my stash. I have more than enough craft projects, fabric, and yarn to last until the end of time. 🙂

My 28 yo dd is home for a visit and is helping me de-clutter.  She makes it much less painful by ohhing and ahhing over each project, telling me how lovely the fabric or yarn is and then asking if will actually get to it soon or if I should 'set it free'.  Support really helps.

My current creative project are based around making jellies and candies for Christmas. 

• Like 4

On 12/5/2019 at 8:49 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

Pretty much all hold-overs from my November list:

• Monster amigurumi for my husband are kind of stalled while I shifted attention to the ornaments. 
  • Fabric and supplies are on hand for the two sewing projects -- pajama pants for my husband and microwave bowl cozies for my son's girlfriend -- but I haven't started the actual work on either of them.

The only new thing on my mental list is crocheting a rainbow wall hanging for my daughter's partner.

Well, here we are post-mid-December, and I haven't finished anything except the amigurumi ornaments for my daughter and her partner.

I am low on time and energy and have been out of commission in terms of crafting for the last few days after one of our cats scratched and bit my hand and arms badly enough to send me to the ER with the allergic reaction. I'm on day three of antibiotics and can now kind of use my left hand again if I keep a steady dose of acetaminophen in my system, but I am pretty close to losing home that I will manage to finish the mermaid tail and wall hanging in time to get them shipped to NY. 

And I have been so focused on those that I haven't even started most of the others.

So, I am taking a day off work on Thursday to try and knock out what I can, but it's not looking like a good year for handmade gifts from Jenny.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Well, here we are post-mid-December, and I haven't finished anything except the amigurumi ornaments for my daughter and her partner.

I am low on time and energy and have been out of commission in terms of crafting for the last few days after one of our cats scratched and bit my hand and arms badly enough to send me to the ER with the allergic reaction. I'm on day three of antibiotics and can now kind of use my left hand again if I keep a steady dose of acetaminophen in my system, but I am pretty close to losing home that I will manage to finish the mermaid tail and wall hanging in time to get them shipped to NY. 

And I have been so focused on those that I haven't even started most of the others.

So, I am taking a day off work on Thursday to try and knock out what I can, but it's not looking like a good year for handmade gifts from Jenny.

Just sending hugs.  Keep a close eye on your arms for swelling over the next few weeks as your surgery was recent.

My unplanned Christmas Newf quilt probably is not happening.  I just can’t seem to find enough time at my sewing machine to finish the last few blocks much less get it put together and mailed.  I will keep working and my friend is spending her birthday with us this year so I will get to give it to her in person which is pretty cool!

I finally did the embroidery for the Christmas coasters. They still need made into coasters.  I also want to do a non-seasonal set, and I’ve picked out the fabric from my stash. I can do an almost infinite number of coasters and tiny ornaments from my stash, I think.

The elves at my house have been busy! The second picture is of things made by DH and DS. DH made the cribbage board and DS (8 yrs old) made the rice bag for mil. 

DFD40925-2E5B-49FB-938C-3D47BF03D6AA.jpeg

3C71DBBD-76C1-42C4-8034-357B455C67B1.jpeg

• Like 5

I finished this today to get into the mail  in time - for my sister.  

It was supposed to be an ornament, but she decided not to put up her tree this year so I put it in a little frame.  My first time using perforated paper and beads - a little Mill Hill kit.  Lots of fun 😀.  

B1E81F11-0F94-4815-87B0-FEF0A5863272.jpeg

• Like 5

On 12/17/2019 at 12:47 PM, mumto2 said:

Just sending hugs.  Keep a close eye on your arms for swelling over the next few weeks as your surgery was recent.

Thanks. The antibiotics finally kicked in and brought down the swelling. Between that and large-ish doses of acetaminophen and a couple of very late nights, I finished the mermaid tale and wall hanging.  

I still have at least three projects that are "musts" that I have either not started or have barely started and four days to finish them. ("Must" meaning there are three people who will have no hand-made gift from me if I don't get these done, which violates family tradition and will make me feel very sad.) 

But I'm trying to focus on feeling good about finishing these two items, at least.

Mermaid Tail.jpg

Rainbow Hanging.jpg

• Like 5

I still need to finish the guinea pig beds and dog toys. My kids have been volunteering with a rescue and the dogs could use new toys. The guinea pig beds are for her show pigs.  My DD found some fabric of a t-Rex trying to open presents and asked for pajama pants.  Hopefully, I can crank those out Monday morning as this cold has been kicking my rear. 

• Like 2

Today's update is that I finished the microwave bowl cozies, meaning that the pajama pants and amigurumi are the only items remaining from my original list. Both of those are likely to get jettisoned.

However, I just realized that there are two things missing from the list:

• Polo shirt(s) for my husband embellished with Muppet patch(es). -- I did three of these for him several years ago, and he wears them frequently and enjoys the compliments he gets. I found and bought two more patches, intending to sew both of them onto shirts. Given how far behind I am this point, I'm now setting my sights on maybe getting one of them done.
  • A collage art piece for my son. I had been trying not to panic about the fact that I had no plan for a handmade gift for him and waiting for inspiration to arrive . . . and then got really sad and overwhelmed about the fact that I still had no idea and was about to be out of time. Only when I no longer actually had time to pull it off did this idea occur to me. I wasn't even going to bother starting it, but then I finished up some of the other projects and scaled back some of my plans for my husband (figuring it's better to have at least one thing for everyone), and I've decided to see if I can make it happen.
  • Like 4

Well, I finished the Christmas coasters yesterday. I love how they turned out, but I decided against doing a set of non-seasonal ones as well, because time/sanity constraints.

DD13 knitted this hat for MIL. It is her first large project, and turned out really well. I did help a lot with interpreting the pattern, fixing dropped stitches, and sewing the seam.

2FC1168E-1BE8-4DF2-95DA-E0FBCEBFB89E.jpeg

5E5C67CC-0636-455A-B42C-14A6C546ECBF.jpeg

• Like 5