Menu

couple of decorating questions (with pics)

caedmyn

I have a small (about 6'x7') laundry room.  DH is going to put a countertop on one side so I can use it for a folding area.  I picked a pre-fabricated countertop but now that we've bought it I'm having second thoughts.  It's a dark countertop, a mix of black and medium brown, and I'm not sure if it will make the space look too dark.  We recently replaced the old dark brown cabinets that were over the washer and dryer with white ones, and getting the brown cabinets out really made the room look much brighter.  I don't want it to be dark again...  I've attached a couple of pictures.  I do have a dark colored rug on the floor (floor is light tan tiles), and could maybe replace it with a lighter colored one to brighten things up (but not too light colored as it will get stepped on regularly with wet and dirty boots since the door to the garage opens into the laundry room).

Also, could use some opinions on which curtains to use for the master bedroom.  We've had the white ones on the left up for a few months, but the walls are off white and the contrast between the walls and the stark white of the curtains seems off to me.  I got the curtains by the bed to try out, and I like them a lot, but I'm not sure if the color is ok with the rest of the room.  They're a very dark cream.  There are mostly grays in the room and a touch of purple, except for the white in one comforter and the cream cushions of the glider.  Carpet is blue with greyish undertones.

master bedroom 1.jpg

master bedroom 2.jpg

laundry room 1.jpg

laundry room 2.jpg

countertop.jpg

If everything else in the laundry room is light, I'm not sure a dark counter will cancel that and it'll give the room some contrast.  It's the laundry room, so how often is the counter going to empty anyway.  I wouldn't change my order.

In the bedroom, the cream curtains go better.  If you take the curtains to the floor it'll make everything look bigger.  If you don't want to spend real money, you can probably get a drop cloth that color for super cheap.  

curtain.jfif

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

No answer for your questions, but did you know you can switch your dryer door to open the other way? It would make it a lot easier to transfer clothes from washer to dryer.

I did not know that, but the door on this one actually opens flat against the washer so it’s not in the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Lighter counter.  Cream curtains OR change them out for grey curtains to match the bedding.  Consider making them floor length.

Also, put the bed kattycorner (catecorner, kateycorner) diagonal to the corner.

DH objects to long curtains.  And moving the bed.  And headboards.  Sigh.  I did try a couple different gray curtains but the darker ones made the room look too dark and the pale ones had the same issue as the white curtains of looking funny against the warm walls.

• Like 1

Can you paint the walls to match something in the bed room? You've got a lot of things going on in there, so I would try to find ways to tie it all together.  Make things more monochromatic? Pick one wood tone and make everything match? 

My husband would also be happy to decorate everything like a dorm room, too.  No headboard, mismatched curtains, mismatched everything. How big are your husband's objections? lol Sometimes I just change things at home in a way that looks better and tell DH to deal with it. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

Can you paint the walls to match something in the bed room? You've got a lot of things going on in there, so I would try to find ways to tie it all together.  Make things more monochromatic? Pick one wood tone and make everything match? 

My husband would also be happy to decorate everything like a dorm room, too.  No headboard, mismatched curtains, mismatched everything. How big are your husband's objections? lol Sometimes I just change things at home in a way that looks better and tell DH to deal with it. 

I was going to do the room in white and cream with purple accents, and get a white nightstand and white sheets and bedskirt and the cream would be the walls and curtains and glider cushions.  But then DH bought me that gray nightstand so now I don’t know where to go with the room.  We’re looking at getting a small freestanding fireplace also, hopefully either a grey or white one.  Maybe I’ll still get white sheets and bedskirt and keep an eye out for a used glider with gray cushions, and do gray and white...but then there’s those cream curtains so idk.  I love my comforter and don’t want to replace it, and DH dos his own thing with comforters anyway (the gray blankets on his side are covering up the green comforter he uses).

the counter is too dark for the space, and it clashes with the floor and the woodwork.

can you paint your room?

the white curtains go better with the gray sheet and carpet than the cream ones.   the cream curtains go well with the checked blanket, and the woodwork.

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

the counter is too dark for the space, and it clashes with the floor and the woodwork.

can you paint your room?

the white curtains go better with the gray sheet and carpet than the cream ones.   the cream curtains go well with the checked blanket, and the woodwork.

Paint which room?  The bedroom?  Idk what color I could paint it that would help.  There is sooo much painting to be done already.  I've stripped wallpaper off in three rooms and they all need to be painted now, and I still have a hallway and entryway that need wallpaper removal then painting.  Hopefully the bedroom carpet with be replaced in the next year or so with something more neutral, probably a beige or greige carpet.

I’m not sure the counter clashes with anything.  The picture I posted isn’t true to color—the parts that look gray in the picture are actually brown.

Edited by caedmyn

I think the counter will look fine in that room. Re: the bedroom. I actually prefer the white curtains because they match the white in the bedding and I also prefer contrast to the wall. The white goes with the gray nightstand better too, imho. If your dh doesn’t want long curtains or a headboard, you could add pictures (either art or photographs) to the walls to help pull it together and add a bit of homey-ness. 

On 11/30/2019 at 7:47 PM, caedmyn said:

I was going to do the room in white and cream with purple accents, and get a white nightstand and white sheets and bedskirt and the cream would be the walls and curtains and glider cushions.  But then DH bought me that gray nightstand so now I don’t know where to go with the room.  We’re looking at getting a small freestanding fireplace also, hopefully either a grey or white one.  Maybe I’ll still get white sheets and bedskirt and keep an eye out for a used glider with gray cushions, and do gray and white...but then there’s those cream curtains so idk.  I love my comforter and don’t want to replace it, and DH dos his own thing with comforters anyway (the gray blankets on his side are covering up the green comforter he uses).

Gray and purple look great together.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:43 PM, KungFuPanda said:

If everything else in the laundry room is light, I'm not sure a dark counter will cancel that and it'll give the room some contrast.  It's the laundry room, so how often is the counter going to empty anyway.  I wouldn't change my order.

In the bedroom, the cream curtains go better.  If you take the curtains to the floor it'll make everything look bigger.  If you don't want to spend real money, you can probably get a drop cloth that color for super cheap.  

curtain.jfif 8.92 kB · 8 downloads

Yes.  I would keep the counter.