Menu

Gym bag, what do you love?

PeterPan

I have a feeling I'm about to fall into a rabbit hole here, but let's go. When I go to the Y I take a bag with a towel, clothes for the steam room, a little bag of toiletries, water, flip flops, a notebook with pen, etc. So not a ton of stuff, just sort of medium-ish. The problem is the towel is DAMP afterward and it has made my beloved, aging Lands End canvas tote bag MOLD. Yuck.

So is there something you use that you love? Am I looking for something waterproof or a different material or? Needs to be durable so it doesn't snag when I shove it the locker, and needs to access easily because I'm a lazy sort. Like I don't want 18 steps to unzip. I'm usually running late and just want to get in, shove in, drag out, done.

What bag am I looking for? And if it comes with magic Make You Thin powder, that helps too. :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I just use any old big bag with a single zipper, with a bunch of empty grocery bags shoved in for dirty or wet stuff. Small notebook and pen are in a smaller bag so they don't get destroyed or lost, everything else just gets shoved in. 

If I showered regularly at the gym, I would probably use a fast drying microfiber towel. You'd still want to put it in a plastic bag before putting in your big bag, but it won't be nearly as wet and you could also just drape it over the gym bag when you get to the car and it will dry pretty quickly. 

I use something like this microfiber hair towel. I have a lot of hair so I use 2 if drying body as well. Just make sure you get a flat towel and not a hair turban. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, katilac said:

If I showered regularly at the gym, I would probably use a fast drying microfiber towel.

Whoa, I hadn't thought about that! You're right, reducing the bulk of the towel would make a difference, hmm! And yes, I steam and then shower. And worse yet, I put the towel on the floor to stand on after I dry, so my feet are clean and dry before I put on my shoes or flip flops. So it really is a soggy mess I'm putting in my bag. 

Well I'm looking at the LL Bean Adventure Duffel in a size medium. Turns out they have these in a store in the big city, so I can see it in person and see if I can deal with zipping, lol.

37 minutes ago, soror said:

perhaps a small wet bag for your towel will solve that problem,

You're right, that's a direction I hadn't thought to look! 

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Well I'm looking at the LL Bean Adventure Duffel in a size medium. Turns out they have these in a store in the big city, so I can see it in person and see if I can deal with zipping, lol.

You might check local thrift stores if you have any. I've had good luck finding nice ones at a cheap price (by nice, I mean they're sturdy and I can get them super clean). 

The bags that live in my car lead a hard life, and it stresses me out to buy a new bag and watch it take a beating. I also figure that if a bag makes it to the thrift store in good shape, it's probably fairly sturdy. Also, if I just decide I don't like the size or shape after using it, no big deal to use it for something else of just donate back to the thrift store. 

• Like 2

I'm cheap and practical. I just use a grocery bag for the wet stuff, and use whatever bag or backpack my stuff fits into. I'm also not after any kind of stylish bag that will attract attention to myself. I know exactly how I look after swimming/sweating/working out. I just want to get home to eat and relax. 😉

Once after a hot, sweaty tennis match, my dh and I went to a grocery store to grab some snacks. I was "hugging" or just carrying a box of crackers off on my own, and a lady asked me if she could pay for that for me... like I was a homeless person or something.... lost and starving in the suburbs. 😂

Edited by wintermom
  • Haha 4

I have one by Puma that I use for flying because the size is perfect for stowing underneath the seat. It’s similar to this:

https://www.target.com/p/puma-24-conversion-duffel-bag-black/-/A-53029133

One of the side compartments has a deep pocket that you could put shoes or wet clothes in, keeping them separate from the rest.

My actual gym bag, also from Target, doesn't have a separate compartment for wet stuff, but I just put wet clothes in a plastic bag. I live 2 blocks away so gross stuff doesn’t sit in there for too long. The gym provides towels, too, so no wet towel dilemma. My youngest just got a gym membership where they wash members’ gym clothes and put them back in their lockers. They’re done in 2-3 hours. I want that! :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

I love my bag, but dh bought it for my birthday and I have no idea what brand it is.  One thing I do like, is a shower caddie.  Mine is mesh, small, folds up when not in use and has a loop to hang in the shower. 

Pictures? :wub: Your shower caddie sounds fun too! I saw one of those in a swim backpack. I take a pumice stone to scrub my feet, so I'm always dragging these separate pieces out of my bag (towel, stone, phone for timer, etc.).

Just now, PeterPan said:

Pictures? :wub: Your shower caddie sounds fun too! I saw one of those in a swim backpack. I take a pumice stone to scrub my feet, so I'm always dragging these separate pieces out of my bag (towel, stone, phone for timer, etc.).

my caddie is a round-ish thingy with compartments.  I found it at Khols

• Like 1

I think I'm going to drive to town in a bit. I *might* have found something at a sporting goods store, and I want to see it in person. And now I'm curious to look for mesh shower caddies and wet bags. I'm not sure I want to fiddle with an actual wet bag, because it's the towel and my steam clothes. But I don't think I should need it if the bag is polyester. That shouldn't mold the way the cotton does. Hopefully? LOL 

Maybe the sporting goods store will have the microfiber towels so I can see them too! I'm assuming I have to order them online, but who knows. 

Use a wet bag for your towel. 

When I was swimming daily, even though I have the above linked Speedo bag (which I love), I still used a wet bag because the synthetic material doesn't dry well in winter. 

Amazon carries them now: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wet+bag&ref=nb_sb_noss_1   Ten years ago you had to order them from a cloth diapering website. 

I personally don't love microfiber towels. I have one. They fold very compactly. They just kinda take on smells with time. I'd rather go with a Turkish towel. They are just as thin, dry just as quickly, but don't ever get that weird microfiber smell. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

I'm not on my computer so I'm not sure how to take a pic with this one.  Look on amazon for L & M gym bag with shoe compartment.  There are several similar.  Mine has a wet/dry compartment too

Ooo, that looks like the Nike Radiant bag that I'm looking at! Different colors, but that same straight zipper across a duffel. Since I know that you like it, I'm definitely going to go look! They have one at a store near me. And it comes in a floral print. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm cheap and practical. I just use a grocery bag for the wet stuff, and use whatever bag or backpack my stuff fits into. I'm also not after any kind of stylish bag that will attract attention to myself. I know exactly how I look after swimming/sweating/working out. I just want to get home to eat and relax. 😉

Once after a hot, sweaty tennis match, my dh and I went to a grocery store to grab some snacks. I was "hugging" or just carrying a box of crackers off on my own, and a lady asked me if she could pay for that for me... like I was a homeless person or something.... lost and starving in the suburbs. 😂

lol!!! I always go grocery shopping after hitting the gym but I stick to lifting at the gym so I don't get crazy sweaty (usually), at least not bad enough to mistake for homeless I guess! I never shower at the gym or use the sauna. I usually only have so much time anyway, so I get in work out and leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

lol!!! I always go grocery shopping after hitting the gym but I stick to lifting at the gym so I don't get crazy sweaty (usually), at least not bad enough to mistake for homeless I guess! I never shower at the gym or use the sauna. I usually only have so much time anyway, so I get in work out and leave.

Maybe I should get a high-end sport bag so I don't get mistaken for a homeless person. I'll have to buy it at Value Village, though, because I can't afford to pay full-price. Maybe that lady was right!! 😨

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

My gym bag has a waterproof compartment for damp swimsuits/etc. It’s not a swim specific brand. I love it. 

It also has a separate shoe compartment. I really like this because I use different shoes for different activities, and I don’t want any of them in with my clean clothes. 

It also has an outside pocket for my healthy sized water bottle. That was important to me. 

You have a brand? Or a picture? I picked up the Nike Radiate tonight https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nike-womens-radiate-club-duffle-bag-19nikwrdtclbltrfmtrv/19nikwrdtclbltrfmtrv  but I'm not sure how well the fabric will hold up. Also, it doesn't have pockets for water bottle, etc., like you're saying. I was kind of disappointed. It's pretty, but I'm just not sure the durability is there for the price. I think I'll keep looking before I use it.

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

This is the best thing I've read all day. 

• Haha 1