Menu

Teens and acne/folliculitis

crazyforlatin

DD has a bunch a clogged pores on her forehead. Last year the derm gave her clindamycin for her folliculitis on her scalp. I've taken her to an esthetician to extract the pimples/clogged pores, but I feel like it's an unending battle. More clogged pores appear the next day. I can't tell if it's acne related or folliculitis which has spread from scalp to forehead.

She uses a Clinique acne soap, salicylic acid toner, sometimes benzoyl peroxide, face masks, etc. She uses high quality products. She takes 30 mg of zinc, fish oil, vitamin c, probiotic.

We have used epiduo on and off that the doc gave us last year. I don't think it worked well this year, unlike last year.

Our next appt is the week of Thanksgiving.

What are we not trying that we could try? Change shampoo? And what is the usual oral protocol these days for acne? 

consistency is very important.  "sometimes" using the full regime,  means "sometimes" she's doing something.  every. day.  hair off forehead.  (and hair should be washed every day too.)  I'm having this 'discussion' with dudeling right now . . . . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

consistency is very important.  "sometimes" using the full regime,  means "sometimes" she's doing something.  every. day.  hair off forehead.  (and hair should be washed every day too.)  I'm having this 'discussion' with dudeling right now . . . . 

Dd swims so she has to shower daily. Her hair is always clipped back. 

I’d probably stop everything but the basics and gentle stuff and then add to it if necessary. I’d do a gentle cleanser (cerave) and differin, plus a moisturizer. If that doesn’t help after a few weeks, I’d change my cleanser to Zapzyt (salicylic acid cleanser). If that doesn’t help, I’d switch the differin to a benzoyl peroxide leave on. If after giving each of these sufficient time to work and not having results, I’d see a dermatologist. Hope you find something that works for her!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazyforlatin said:

I’ve been doing that too though we used silk for a little while. That could have contributed to this current problem. Since I can’t afford 7 silk pillowcases, I’m going back to the cheap ones and changing it every day.

Have either a clean towel or one dedicated for her face as well. Don't let her dry her hands with a towel and then dry her face. Only clean things touch her face. Good luck, you are doing all that you can!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Have either a clean towel or one dedicated for her face as well. Don't let her dry her hands with a towel and then dry her face. Only clean things touch her face. Good luck, you are doing all that you can!

We’ve been working on that but coming from someone here is probably better. Dd never uses the face towel.

44 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

This is what the dermatologist gave my DD for her blackhead problem (Differin). 

Thanks, I think Differin is similar to Epiduo (adapalene with benzoyl). But we’re definitely going to either do Benzoyl 10% or Epiduo tonight. It’s just that Epiduo is very drying. So we stopped it for awhile.

27 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I get mine from my aesthetician- she orders it from the local maker- Acute Derm in my case which is a company in Houston, but I’m sure there are other sources. I get really bad hormonal breakouts to this day in my 40’s if I don’t use that stuff. 

Drunk Elephant makes one that’s 11 or 12% I think? And they have the TLC facial. But I love the Acute Derm. I use a ton of other drunk elephant stuff though. It’s good. 

if you use the differin though, don’t add anything else. 

I do have DE, both products, so probably no need for a 15%. I also have a youth to the people 11% . 

We had pretty bad case of cystic acne and what brought it under control is combo of 8% AHA Gel By Paula's Choice and Stridex Max Strength Wipes.

So first double cleanse with cleansing gel from Acne.Org and simple mineral oil

Then Stridex Wipes (wait 5 minutes to dry it up)

Then 8%AHA Gel (again wait 5min)

And last is moisturizing cream from CeraVe. 

This regimen brought pretty bad inflamed acne under control. If she skips this for over 7 to 10 days, it comes back. If she uses Sttridex alone, it also comes back, so it's really the combo of the two, plus the moisturizers. Now she has plenty of acne scars and that will be the next thing to figure out how to get rid of. Sigh.

Oh, as far as diet, yes it is important. She doesn't have any dairy, so it is not the cause. She knows when she has excessive sugar, she is getting them again.

• Like 1

My dd had a number of diagnoses (and tried multiple over-the-counter treatments) regarding her acne, but in the end, it was cystic acne, which she finally had to see a dermatologist for and go on some prescription meds to get it under control.  Without them, it became more and more out of control.  With the prescription meds/creams, after 3 - 4 months (which apparently is a long time to see a difference on those meds -- her doctor almost gave up but we were determined to keep at it), her skin cleared up beautifully.

Other than that, another family had a lot of acne-like issues and began using tea tree oil on it daily, before bed.  It cleared up within a week!  Was pretty amazing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, J-rap said:

My dd had a number of diagnoses (and tried multiple over-the-counter treatments) regarding her acne, but in the end, it was cystic acne, which she finally had to see a dermatologist for and go on some prescription meds to get it under control.  Without them, it became more and more out of control.  With the prescription meds/creams, after 3 - 4 months (which apparently is a long time to see a difference on those meds -- her doctor almost gave up but we were determined to keep at it), her skin cleared up beautifully.

Other than that, another family had a lot of acne-like issues and began using tea tree oil on it daily, before bed.  It cleared up within a week!  Was pretty amazing.

What’s the name of the prescription? We’re going to a derm soon.

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

So I’m going to guess retinoids. They’re $$$ in the states but I get them in Europe. Some formulations are extremely drying to me, but some others such as Kestrel (available in France) and retirides (available in Spain/Portugal) are not and are pretty great. Eta that I don’t use them for acne, I’m just guessing that’s what the prescription is for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

So I’m going to guess retinoids. They’re $$$ in the states but I get them in Europe. Some formulations are extremely drying to me, but some others such as Kestrel (available in France) and retirides (available in Spain/Portugal) are not and are pretty great. Eta that I don’t use them for acne, I’m just guessing that’s what the prescription is for.

Maybe tretinoin? I buy .01 for myself at alldaychemist. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Maybe tretinoin? I buy .01 for myself at alldaychemist. 

Yes, tretinoin is the main one, and it is pricy!  Insurance covered it until my dd turned 18, then I guess they've decided you don't get acne after you turn 18.  (??!!)

I don't really keep track of my dd's prescriptions anymore, so I don't know what dosage she is on.  I should check to see if she can get it over-the-counter somewhere...  She HAS learned to make a tube last a long time though.  She uses it every day, but finds that using it sparingly works just fine.

5 hours ago, madteaparty said:

How do you get it in Europe?  Do you need a doctor's prescription for it over there?  (I have another dd living in France, so maybe she could pick up the one you mentioned is in France!)

6 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

The main one is tretinoin.  She's also on a prescription benzoid peroxide cream, but that's cheap and I think can also be gotten over-the-counter.

She was also on oral antibiotics for a bit early on.

4 hours ago, J-rap said:

Yes, tretinoin is the main one, and it is pricy!  Insurance covered it until my dd turned 18, then I guess they've decided you don't get acne after you turn 18.  (??!!)

I don't really keep track of my dd's prescriptions anymore, so I don't know what dosage she is on.  I should check to see if she can get it over-the-counter somewhere...  She HAS learned to make a tube last a long time though.  She uses it every day, but finds that using it sparingly works just fine.

How do you get it in Europe?  Do you need a doctor's prescription for it over there?  (I have another dd living in France, so maybe she could pick up the one you mentioned is in France!)

In Spain and Portugal they haven’t asked for a prescription. In France yes I or my sister sees the derm and he writes me a script that lasts years. 

• Like 1