Menu

IKEA got my first 2 pieces

Scarlett

Two night stands for our bedroom.  We are doing some moving around since ds19 moved out.  I have a furniture manufacturing background and well let’s just say I never I thought I would be ordering furniture that had to be assembled first.  But the look and the price was right and I am pleasantly surprised with the quality.  So now I am thinking of getting the bed frame that matches....but the reviews of it are a two star.  Have any of you ever bought one of their beds?

• Like 1

Just now, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We have one of the bed frames (headboard/footboard type) and have been very happy with it. I mean, it's a you get what you pay for- it will scratch easily if say, a clumsy cat slips off the rail of the headboard, and it's not super heavy duty, but it more than serves the purpose for the cost and looks nice too. 

I have not purchased a mattress there, so can't speak to that. 

We just got a new mattress.  So we decided we wanted a simple platform bed....I had ordered ds one on Amazon this past summer and I was very sturdy.  Well, when I ordered it for myself, somehow I ordered the full instead of queen. When I went back to maybe reorder it I did see how I made the intake.....I chose queen.....and then the dark brown color I wanted and without really notifying me in an obvious way it toggled back to the full size. I called Amazon and complained and after about an hour on the phone  they gave me $70 gift card.  About half the purchase price.

Thus I am on a new search for a bed frame to fit our queen mattress.  Nightstands are from the Hemnes collection....from IKEA....the bed frame to match is not as simple as what we had in mind, but it might work.

Which bed do you have?

We have an ikea king size bed (mattress is not from ikea). I don't remember the name of it. It has a headboard, footboard, and 4 drawers that roll on the floor and fit underneath. We use the ikea slats under the mattress; no box spring. It's a natural wood color.

We've had it several years, and I've been reasonably happy with it. It definitely doesn't look high end, but it's been comfortable and feels sturdy enough. It does seem to creak more than any other bed I've had, though; I change position frequently during the night and it always makes noise. Also our mattress is thick and I have to kind of climb up into the bed (but I could adjust that, and may do it next time we love the mattress. However, if it's lowered it makes it a bit harder to change the sheets.) I like that the drawer space is the entire space under the bed.

All in all, for the price, we've been satisfied.

13 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have two kids with hemnes. (solid wood) they're very happy.

I have a slatted platform for underneath a foam mattress that's been good.

We have the Hemnes Queen size bed. We've had it maybe 6 - 8 years. It was in daily use for the first 4 years or so, and we didn't have any problems with it, and is now in a guest room. At some point a few years ago, after it was in the guest room, I noticed that the edges of the structure that supports the side edges of the box spring seemed "not wide enough" to reliably catch the edges of the box spring (as needed to securely support it). It made me nervous, so DH spent an hour adding some extra support under there (not a big deal). Now it's really secure and great. I expect it'll be in use many more years. 

For a couple hundred bucks for "real wood" bed, I'd say it's a great deal and a purchase we'd make again if needed. 

We've had two bedroom sets from Ikea.  The first made it through three different moves and was sold still in great condition.  The second has been through one move and held up very well to ds's abuse.
We have a rule that we don't invest in furniture until our kids are old enough to treat it well, but I have been thrilled with their beds and even their mattresses.  Most of our house right now is Ikea because the price and quality is right.  I've only had two pieces I hated: a flimsy coffee table and a desk chair that broke.

Thanks everyone.  Dh got the other nightstand assembled last night and I think they look nice.  I showed dh the Hemnes bed and he doesn't really care for the look.  He prefers the simple look we have now of just a platform frame.  So I found one to buy https://www.amazon.com/Best-Price-Mattress-Soild-Wood/dp/B07DZWPWNZ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mellow+14+classic+solid+wood+platform+bed+queen+expresso&qid=1572013870&sr=8-2

I think the finish will work ok with the Hemnes dark brown.  Not that much of it shows anyway in this type of frame.  And dh will make me an upholstered headboard to go with it.  

I will sell the full size one we have now (I ordered wrong size and didn't realize it until it was assembled).  Or maybe use it for another full size mattress in the house.  Not sure yet.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:13 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We had a super heavy cherry and walnut antique type sleigh-bed before with matching other pieces before and one day I was just over it. It was a pain to move from house to house,  I was tired of looking at it. It tore my hands to shreds every time I had to change the sheets....... I was just tired of it after so many years, so much to the horror of my Mother, LOL, I ditched all of my massive, traditional furniture and have replaced it almost all with IKEA, LOL. For pretty much every room in the house!! I like the looks.   love that I can switch up a look at minimal cost. I am just not a heavy, ornate sort of furniture person I've decided. I'm sure our friends think we've gone through some type of crisis where we have done the reverse of what you are supposed to do- start with IKEA and move to nicer stuff- so now at our age we have furniture of 20 year olds instead of Lewis Shanks and high end pieces we're "supposed" to have but whatever.

FWIW -- DH and I are seriously planning on going in the same direction furniture wise. I don't know that our stuff is really super heavy, but it's the pretty good quality stuff you expect people in their late mid-50's (I don't want to type "approaching 60" :wink:) to own. And we are so tired of moving it around. We moved here a little over three years ago, then put down new flooring and painted. So we've moved/shoved this stuff completely around too many times fairly recently, and not just to dust behind it. We're tired of the heaviness and bulkiness and are thinking of moving to much lighter stuff. Maybe a platform bed with no headboard and a good quality foam mattress in a box. No box spring. As minimalist as we can make it and still be comfy. All that to say -- you're not totally alone.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

FWIW -- DH and I are seriously planning on going in the same direction furniture wise. I don't know that our stuff is really super heavy, but it's the pretty good quality stuff you expect people in their late mid-50's (I don't want to type "approaching 60" :wink:) to own. And we are so tired of moving it around. We moved here a little over three years ago, then put down new flooring and painted. So we've moved/shoved this stuff completely around too many times fairly recently, and not just to dust behind it. We're tired of the heaviness and bulkiness and are thinking of moving to much lighter stuff. Maybe a platform bed with no headboard and a good quality foam mattress in a box. No box spring. As minimalist as we can make it and still be comfy. All that to say -- you're not totally alone.

I'm also in my "late mid-50's" -haha.  We actually just moved over the summer (first time in over 25 years) and decided to just ditch all of our furniture.  Wow, did that feel good!  It was the easiest move ever!  Now we're only getting what we really need, and much of it is a very minimalist, put-it-together ourselves type. 

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

We have a twin hemnes in black. It was our first ikea purchase, and we bought it 12 years ago. It has been through so many military (rough!) moves that I’ve lost count and it still looks fantastic. It has been a bed for our boys this whole time, so we’re talking rough use. 😁 My only thing to add is that we bought it so long ago that it’s not exactly like the current hemnes bed frame, so I don’t know if quality has changed, but I doubt it. We’ve used it with a piece of plywood as the base and a mattress on top (so not slats, and no box springs). FWIW, we also have 2 hemnes chests and LOVE them! Those deep drawers are simply awesome. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We have the Hemnes in black- a king size and it holds our extremely heavy Tempurpedic bed just fine (with the brace thing IKEA sells), so it's plenty sturdy. I've been super happy with it. We have the dresser, chest of drawers and everything, and then a couple of our kids have the dresser pieces too. The white has scratched a lot less than the black I will say. The black isn't bad when it scratches- like you can't see it across a room or something, but the less coordinated cats definitely have scratched it a bit. But I love it. 

We had a super heavy cherry and walnut antique type sleigh-bed before with matching other pieces before and one day I was just over it. It was a pain to move from house to house,  I was tired of looking at it. It tore my hands to shreds every time I had to change the sheets....... I was just tired of it after so many years, so much to the horror of my Mother, LOL, I ditched all of my massive, traditional furniture and have replaced it almost all with IKEA, LOL. For pretty much every room in the house!! I like the looks.   love that I can switch up a look at minimal cost. I am just not a heavy, ornate sort of furniture person I've decided. I'm sure our friends think we've gone through some type of crisis where we have done the reverse of what you are supposed to do- start with IKEA and move to nicer stuff- so now at our age we have furniture of 20 year olds instead of Lewis Shanks and high end pieces we're "supposed" to have but whatever. We started with nice stuff and now have cheap stuff, but I don't live and die for furniture and  I am a huge IKEA convert at this point! Dh shudders when the catalogue comes in every fall because he knows more is probably coming in for him to assemble.. And if we have to move again, it's so cheap 'll just leave it/sell it all and buy new at the new house LOL. No more spending fortunes on movers for elephantine furniture pieces. 

Last year I redid our entire study with IKEA shelving and desks! I seriously am an addict. 

I’m with you! I just added my coveted ikea piece to my collection this year...the big 5X5 cube bookshelf https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-white-70301537/in white. I’ve wanted that thing for years for our schoolroom/office and I’m totally in love with the thing. 💕

(I know this thread isn’t about our favorite ikea stuff and Scarlett has already bought something, but if the thread is ikea, fiestaware, or le creuset, I gotta’ chime in😊)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1