Menu

New puppy - reverse sneezing all night??

Joker

Can this be a normal thing? We just adopted another rescue puppy. He's about 10 months old (was a stray so not sure) and he looks like a pure Beagle. He's small though at only 14 pounds right now. Acts like someone was really unkind to him but he's being super sweet with us. 

Last night he started reverse sneezing around midnight and did it off and on until we got up at 7. It sounded awful. We've had dogs that have done it before but never this much. Should I be worried? I do have a vet appointment next week but wanted to check in here to see if I should try to get it moved.

It's a rescue that only fosters so no shelters. He had been in the foster home for a month before we got him. 

I'm wondering if it could be from fear? He only did it during the night and then again when we fed him but he seemed terrified when it was time to eat. I had to sit next to him and it took a long time for him to finish. Hasn't done it since then.

I do think I'll call to try and get in earlier though to make sure.

This is our seventh rescue animal but I've never had one this afraid.😢 Makes me angry at whoever hurt him. 

• Sad 3

Aww, poor baby! Our foxhound was fearful like that when we adopted her last December. She had been in a shelter down south, was transported up here, and then was at the Humane Society here for months. When we first got her, she spent all her time curled up in a ball, shaking like a leaf. She was utterly terrified of men and would run from my dh, ds19, and ds21. It took her a few months, but she is like a totally different dog now - happy go lucky, a total lap baby, and she adores dh and the boys. Her transformation has been pretty amazing!

Best of luck with your little guy! He's a lucky pup.

• Like 1

We had a part-beagle who did that now and then his entire life!  He always seemed really healthy otherwise.  It sounded kind of like an abrupt inward snort, several in a row.  Now and then, I wondered if it was asthma.  I mentioned it to our vets over the years and they never seemed to think it was a problem, but they never gave it a name either.  He never had X-rays for it or anything like that.

In your case, because it went on all night and you don't really know this dog too well yet, I'd probably want it checked out sooner rather than later.  Perhaps you can call up your vet and discuss with them?

I have an appointment tomorrow morning. We've only had him two days. He is fine all day, just did it at night and then when it was time to eat this morning. He's been fine since. The foster mom said there are no signs of kennel cough or infections in her other dogs, so we will see. I have been looking into it and it does seem to be fairly common for Beagles. Hopefully it's nothing. 

• Like 4

We had a beagle that did that pretty much every day.  But she did it as an adult dog.  Since it’s a puppy, I think you’re doing the right thing taking him in.  My current beagle has never done it.  
Also, shame on whoever was mean to a beagle puppy.  They are the best doggies, in my opinion.