Menu

Need a recommendation for a dry cereal fortified in iron

lewelma

I am in NZ and helping my dad in the USA. My mom shops at Kroger. Can someone please give me a recommendation of a cereal besides Total that is fortified with iron and reasonably low in sugar. She is on a budget, but if I tell her there is a high-end one that is way better, she would splurge. He does not like raisins.

Almost every cereal here is iron fortified. I think it might be a requirement for the highly processed ones, like adding folic acid to everything even though half of us can't process it properly and it worsens their health.

Anyway, here's a database that ranks 200 cereals from highest in iron.

• Like 1

Has he had cancer in the past?  I know certain kinds of cancer can cause low iron, especially ones in the digestive tract.  When a post menopausal female family member had low iron her doctor sent her for a bunch of tests and it turned out she had early colon cancer.

• Like 1

Total used to have a corn flake version as well. Cereals here are iron fortified for the most part, but when I was younger, I briefly had a minor deficiency that I remember that only Total really had significantly more than the others, though there might be other options now... that was awhile back.

Also useful to know for that experiment where you suck all the iron out of a box of Total with a giant magnet and look at the tiny shavings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Those might be hard on teeth if he's had a lot of dental work though. 

True, though I like to pour milk on it and cook it in the microwave to soften it a bit.  Dh thinks eating it cold is like having a bowl of gravel for breakfast.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  My mom went through all the cheerios and found one that was way higher in iron than the others.  Personally, I'd have him eating a cooked breakfast rather than cereal, but my mom is really only about 70% at this point because of the alzheimers, so I'm keeping it simple. 

Dad has great teeth, no cancer, no aging related ailments really of any kind. The low iron is due to him getting both knees done voluntarily. Apparently, he lost a lot of blood and now has low iron. Not clear why he is not on a supplement, but there are some complicating factors that I'm not going to go into. I've been told to get the food sorted so my dad can eat high iron and my mom can prepare it without too much fuss.

Edited by lewelma

On 10/15/2019 at 11:37 AM, lewelma said:

I am in NZ and helping my dad in the USA. My mom shops at Kroger. Can someone please give me a recommendation of a cereal besides Total that is fortified with iron and reasonably low in sugar. She is on a budget, but if I tell her there is a high-end one that is way better, she would splurge. He does not like raisins.

Weet bix?

• Like 1