Menu

Dumb UPS

Night Elf

I was supposed to get two packages last night and UPS sent me emails saying they were both dropped on my front porch at 8:02 pm. I checked around 9:00 pm and they weren't there. I looked all around the front of my house and even went to the top of my driveway to see if they were in or near the mailbox. Nope! So this morning I went to my neighbors on either side of me and asked if they received my packages. Nope!

So one package was from an eBay seller. I contacted him and he said he could send me another or refund my money. I asked him to send me another item. I thought that was very generous of him. If I do get the original one back, I'm going to pay shipping and send it back to him so he's not out money.

The other package was from Joyce Myers Ministries. I just emailed them so I don't know how long it may take to hear back from them. I just replied to the confirmation email that told me my package had been shipped. I don't even know if they check those emails. Do you think I should send the same message to them through a "contact us" form? 

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Any chance the packages could have been stolen off your porch? 

Honestly, not in my neighborhood. We're a one street neighborhood tucked away behind trees off a highway. I know the neighbors on either side of me who have lived here longer than we have and no one has ever told us there were any problems. My house is down a long driveway too. I had to get in my car last night to drive to the mailbox because I wasn't going to walk up that hill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

We've found that sometimes the deliver companies, including USPS and UPS, will say they delivered something, but haven't actually. Usually it shows up a day or two later.

This^^^ I would wait a day or two before going to all the trouble of contacting the sellers. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

We've found that sometimes the deliver companies, including USPS and UPS, will say they delivered something, but haven't actually. Usually it shows up a day or two later.

Me too.  It's very frustrating because delivery companies are being deceitful.   I've called them on it before too... but you get the "Thank you for your concern, we'll look into it." trope. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

If it was sent smart post via UPS, the postal system does the final delivery.  And they often marked delivered and then actually deliver a day or two later.  

While we have generally good experience with UPS, we also had UPS deliveries that were incomplete e.g. out of 3 boxes, two were delivered and one was left in their van (we received box 1 of 3, box 3 of 3 but box 2 of 3 came the next day).

We also have a UPS delivery person that tends to put parcels outside the wrong doors (condo complex) and we just email our condo’s HOA list for the person to collect their parcel. 

We have had them say it was delivered but what actually happened was, the driver was delayed or for whatever reason was not able to make the delivery. We live in a rural area with rough roads and steep mountainuous terrain. It's not uncommon for delivery drivers of all kinds to get lost trying to find a house, get a flat on the rough roads or breakdown altogether out here. Sometimes, within a day or two of it saying delivered when it was not, the package just randomly shows up. It just got mis-entered in the computer system, it should have been entered in as delayed instead of delivered. Since that has happened more than once, I usually wait a day or two and then get in touch with whatever delivery service was used. If that doesn't turn up anything or I'm getting close to the end of the return window, that's when I contact the seller.

As someone else said, if it is being shipped by UPS SurePost, UPS will say it is delivered when they deliver the package to the post office. It will usually say someone signed for it because someone at the post office always signs for the SurePost deliveries. The USPS will usually be deliver the package the next business day after UPS says it was delivered.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

We also have a UPS delivery person that tends to put parcels outside the wrong doors (condo complex) and we just email our condo’s HOA list for the person to collect their parcel. 

This is us as well except we use FB rather than the HOA. Our HOA wouldn't care. There are always posts from someone who either says they received a package not belonging to them or someone asking if someone else received theirs. It was especially bad at Christmas. Our housing developer set up the same house numbers on 2 or 3 different streets, which adds to the confusion.

Some people won't return misdelivered mail to the appropriate person, believing that there's a law that says if it's misdelivered to them, it's theirs to keep. I remember one time an entire new patio set was misdelivered. The people who ordered the set were out both their money and the furniture because the people it was actually delivered to didn't want to return it and the shipping company said they delivered the merchandise, so they weren't responsible either. It wasn't a case of delivering it to the right neighborhood, but to a house in a nearby community with the same house number. I don't know how it was resolved, but I would be spitting mad!

Our best luck has been having the shipper contact UPS to track the package. They usually won't do it for the receiver of the package. We've been through this many, many times. Sometimes (usually) it was misdelivered to a neighbor. Sometimes it wasn't delivered at all (like previous people pointed out - they lie).

Most of the misdeliveries are next door but lately there have been some between our across-the-way neighbors. We get theirs & they get ours. My DH was hauling our packages back to our house from their front porch when they drove into their driveway. "This isn't what it looks like!"

I'd try to contact the shipper for the second package & see if they can get UPS to investigate. They have GPS on their trucks and should get close to figuring it out - but it does take awhile. (It took over a week but the UPS guy found out our next door neighbor had our package in his garage. Now I check there first.)

• Like 1