Menu

Who’s going to tackle Wednesday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

Good morning!

The weather sure has been dramatic lately. It's not enough that we're under an excessive heat warning, now there's a flash flood watch to add to the excitement. My boys are starting earlier and working shorter hours for the rest of the week (they work construction outside). I am (mostly) resisting the urge to be the annoying mom who reminds them every five minutes to drink lots of water and make sure they have sunscreen...😬

• school w/dd
  • office work (bills)
  • quick vet appt. at 9:45 (Adequan injection)
  • clean upstairs bathrooms (didn't get to this yet this week)
  • coffee date w/dh this afternoon
  • dinner: ?? I was planning to try a recipe for summer harvest soup with sweet corn and asparagus, but do I really want soup in this disgustingly hot weather? May need to rethink that.

• Like 6

Good morning! It is supposed to be upper 90s today- so any outside work has to be done in the morning. Not too much going on- dh is going to call to put the "new to us" car on our insurance (I did the last car). This car is actually for dd1- but we get to drive it until she comes home in a few weeks. These are the years dh planned for ten years ago, "peak spending years."  Teens and young adults...more expensive, more difficult, and yet in some ways more rewarding, years of parenting.

• coffee/paper
  • weed
  • emails/online things
  • ds3 off to tennis
  • oversee ds2 in yard and removal of two bushes
  • list of things ds2 needs to get done for me
  • write
  • read 
  • write out syllabus for one class for ds3
  • general chores/decluttering
  • make binding for quilt (finally finished at quilters)
  • dh has tennis tonight- maybe a quick pasta for dinner

Have a great day!

• Like 6

Going to the doctor today!  I haven't been for a physical in about 9 years.  Yup, you heard me.  I have gone for other things, but not a physical.

So:

• doctor/lab work  
  • unpack and put away all boxes on dining room table
  • tackle 3 boxes in garage (prob put in upstairs attic storage for now
  • Put outdoor seating around the pool and arrange 
  • Hang up clothing in master closet  
  • measure shelving in master closet to order bins
  • order new cell phones online- crud, deal is over.....I waited too long.  May wait.
Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

Good morning!

Pick up milk.
Pick up mom from Dr.'s office and take her home and get her settled.
Get bagels?

Get chx or meat for stir fry.

This afternoon - work on camp badge stuff! Ignore all  interrruptions and distractions! 

Dinner is stir fry. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

Good morning, everyone!!

I can't believe how fast this summer is going by as well as how busy it has been! I hope you all are doing well and enjoying summer in your home towns. 

One big news is that dd did get hired at the hospital as a nurse tech and starts orientation on Monday! They like to hire with the intention of staying on after graduation, so it's awesome to think she could already have her job in place! 

Another is that ds got 2nd place at district in the 50 yard backstroke, so he's going to state!  We don't anticipate him making it through the first round, but it still feels good to qualify in an individual event rather than just on a relay team. 

Co-op starts in early August, and we'll start school at the same time. I'm in crunch time of getting everything underway for that. 

Today is shopping for dd's scrubs for her new job, possibly tutoring a student (who has cancelled a lot this summer), and church tonight. 

• Like 6

I didn't post yesterday, and I didn't accomplish much, other than taking the kids where they needed to go (dentist and tutoring). My excuse is that I didn't sleep much the night before, so I really needed that afternoon nap 😉.

Already done today:

✔️Took DS15 to his job skills class
✔️Put dinner in the crock pot (Swiss steak)
✔️Washed pots and pans
✔️Scrubbed kitchen sink and wiped stove and counters
✔️One load of laundry washed and in the dryer

To do:

Hang up clothes that need to line dry
Dry Swiffer the wood floor
Wet Swiffer the kitchen floor
TIdy and sweep in family room
Write two emails about a situation I am frustrated with and would rather avoid
Research counseling places for DS and DD -- I have a big list to go through and am not sure how to choose, so I've been putting it off. I'll do web research today on each place.
Perhaps a Target run when I go back to pick DS15 up this afternoon
Make sure kids do their chores and their summer reading
Menu planning
Brush and comb the doodle

I am tempted go on, but I'll stop there for now.

• Like 6

Dawn, I have a big list of medical things I need to do for myself, as well. I've been putting things off for years. And years. So kudos to you!! I'm impressed you were able to get an appointment so quickly.

My big hurdles are going through the list of providers that accept our insurance and picking ones to use. It's not that this is so hard, but more that I have trouble making decisions -- it seems so random to me to pick a name, when I know so little about them, other than reviews I can find online. So I don't. About two years ago, I managed to choose a name from the list and call them, only to be told they were not accepting new patients (even though it said they were online). That seems like a minor setback, but it was enough to make me avoid the task like the plague after that.

That's silly, I know. But I have anxiety about making phone calls. And about doctors and medical things. But mostly I am okay with going to appointments; I just have trouble making them. keeping up with my kids' medical appointments is tricky enough (I try to make the next appointment before I leave the office each time, so that I don't have to call).  If I had a secretary, I could delegate the phone calls. That would be nice.

I will put "make medical appointments" on my to-do list soon. But not today. **shudder**

Edited to add: The thyroid thread just reminded me -- one of things I worry about with choosing a doctor is that I need someone who will listen to me about my suspected thyroid issues, and I know that a lot of doctors don't address it well enough. My grandmother and sister both had/have thyroid disease, and I have a visibly enlarged thyroid and a long list of symptoms. My last doctor had me do an ultrasound, where they found "something but it's not a concern, so don't worry about it." And ran bloodwork, which must have come back satisfactory (to her), because she didn't do anything else about it. I didn't know then what I do now about needing to understand the test results and advocating about treatment.

I know that I can help myself feel better if I move forward on addressing this (and some other medical things), but it seems daunting to me.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

That's silly, I know. But I have anxiety about making phone calls. And about doctors and medical things. But mostly I am okay with going to appointments; I just have trouble making them. keeping up with my kids' medical appointments is tricky enough (I try to make the next appointment before I leave the office each time, so that I don't have to call).  If I had a secretary, I could delegate the phone calls. That would be nice.

I will put "make medical appointments" on my to-do list soon. But not today. **shudder**

This is me, exactly! Having to make a phone call to set up a doctor appt. is like combining two of the things I hate the most!

• Like 5

Amy- great news about both of your kids!

I had to pick up ds3 early, the ankle is fine walking around, but quick darting movements, not so much. Ds2 is digging out a scrub elm and is super annoyed. I don't think I helped matters by saying, "Well, they are annoying bushes."

Next up, reading and kitchen clean up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had a bit of a rough night..  And this morning ds is having trouble getting his old car started.  Stress, stress, stress.  But he has my car right now for a parts run and hopefully can fix it and buzz off to work in his own car.  If not, my schedule is a bit captive to his again.

human care is done

pet care is done

medical care is done

morning exercises are done

Katy Bowman blog post read

And I took so long hitting post, that ds has come back from his parts run and has fixed his car and driven off to work.  Yay!  Yay!  Yay! 

• Like 5

Making kids do (and sometimes redo) housekeeping chores that were skipped last weekend. 

Dd does things well, but is slooooow.
Ds does things quickly and not well. 

Got sidetracked with myriads of random things, but am about to sit down to do camp prep, right now

• Like 4

Happy Wednesday!

• Got up later than I wanted, but still got most things done.
  • Kids up, 1 showered, made breakfasts and lunches.  And coffee.
  • Took out the garbage.
  • Drove kids to summer camp.  Only 1 minute late this time, yay!  (The main highway was closed!)
  • Took out more garbage since the truck hadn't come yet.
  • Cleaned the dish drainer and cleaned up the kitchen, bathrooms, and some clutter.
  • Put away some laundry.
  • Did my yoga and a little bit of walking.
  • A little bit of reading.
  • Sent out a few work emails.
  • Caught up on emails, news, and social media.

To do:

• Lots more work.  Would like to get through a long list of emails so my inbox and brain are uncluttered, and also get some client emails out.
  • Personal stuff.  Emails, camp stuff, AHG leader registration, bills, filing, update checkbook, etc. etc.
  • Pick kids up from camp.
  • Kid 1 to trumpet lesson.
  • Kids' work - clean car; music practice; acadmic review; scout badge work; journal; planning for upcoming campout - whatever gets done.
  • Read-aloud, if kid doesn't tick me off like she did last night.  😛
  • Whatever I may be forgetting ....
  • Like 5

Nevermind.  Dh got 3/4 of the way around the block and his car quit again.  He went on another parts run, tried to fix it again.  I ended up driving him to work.

While he was doing all of that though I got:

dishwasher unloaded and dishes put away.

dishwasher loaded and running.

two loads of laundry folded and put away.

One load of laundry in the washing machine. 

Now I am at Starbucks to work on my camp lessons.

• Like 4

Checking in late, but....I got the quilt top *finished* so I can quilt DS18's quilt over the next few weeks before he moves in to his dorm. He & I need to go this weekend sometime and get backing fabric. And I need to decide how to quilt it. But the top is done, and looks lovely, and he's delighted. It's huge-r than I thought (when DS14 and I held it up for a photo, we had to stand on chairs, and it literally touched the ceiling & floor......) DH always says "make them for full sized beds" even though the dorm beds are twin sized, because *after* college they'll be back home/taking their home full bed with them when they move out, but....maybe this one is too long? oops. Oh well. 

DS18, of course, teased us, because when he came around to hold my corner so I could look at it, he was able to stand on the floor and hold it w/o climbing in the chair or dropping the corner.....(so, maybe not too long after all....). 

Anyway, quilt top is done, sewing room is cleaned up enough for my friend to come over tomorrow and us work on our collage patterns together, and now I'm deciding what to do. I anticipated taking a lot longer on those things than what they really took. 

DH is home (but working from home), and we have dinner with a former co-worker of his tonight while the boys are at Youth Group, so I don't have to do dinner plans. I do need to make sure the boys actually put away their clean laundry (still in the laundry room last I checked), and send some emails, but other than that, nothing is time sensitive/needs to be done *today.* Will look at what paper work/school stuff needs doing and choose something. Or read. Or nap. Ha! DH won't love that while he's home working.....I'm going to try and do "work" things till he stops and goes up to hang out with the boys in a bit. 

Happy Wednesday!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I didn't post yesterday, and I didn't accomplish much, other than taking the kids where they needed to go (dentist and tutoring). My excuse is that I didn't sleep much the night before, so I really needed that afternoon nap 😉.

Already done today:

✔️Washed pots and pans

To do:

✔️Hang up clothes that need to line dry
✔️Dry Swiffer the wood floor
✔️Wet Swiffer the kitchen floor
TIdy and ✔️sweep in family room (vacuumed but did not manage to put clutter away)
Write two emails about a situation I am frustrated with and would rather avoid (avoided this and then got an email from one of them that I don't know how to answer yet)
Research counseling places for DS and DD -- I have a big list to go through and am not sure how to choose, so I've been putting it off. I'll do web research today on each place.
✔️Perhaps a Target run when I go back to pick DS15 up this afternoon
Menu planning
✔️Brush and comb the doodle

I am tempted go on, but I'll stop there for now.

• Like 5

There's been a migraine brewing since I woke up and now it's here. Crud. Working outside in the heat did not help.

I did get two bathrooms clean, did horse chores & bathed them, took the dog to the vet, did laundry, made a couple phone calls, and did a tiny bit of office work.

Ds20 is grilling veggie brats & burgers for dinner. We're out of buns, so using naan instead. I'm making guacamole, too.

• Like 3

Already done today:

✔️Washed pots and pans

To do:

✔️Hang up clothes that need to line dry
✔️Dry Swiffer the wood floor
✔️Wet Swiffer the kitchen floor
TIdy and ✔️sweep in family room (vacuumed but did not manage to put clutter away)
Write two emails about a situation I am frustrated with and would rather avoid (avoided this and then got an email from one of them that I don't know how to answer yet)
✔️Perhaps a Target run when I go back to pick DS15 up this afternoon
Menu planning
✔️Brush and comb the doodle

One final update before signing off for the night. I haven't figured out anything about counseling, but I did research a number of the options. And I sent an email to my cousin's wife, an educational psych who works at one place on the list, to ask her some questions, because the web page is not clear.

DH says he will help me figure out what we should say in the emails I've been putting off, so we will figure that out first thing in the morning. It also involves some help we are lining up for one of the kids, and I really need it not to just be me figuring it all out.

All in all, a pretty good effort. Any time I tackle things I would normally procrastinate on, I'm deciding to count just trying as a small success, even if I don't get it all the way done.

• Like 2

Today was a good day as far as the kids.  They are attending a pretty intense summer camp this week - junior medical camp - which includes anatomy, dissections, first aid, pharmaceuticals, group case studies, etc.  So I can't ask too much brain work after that.  Kid 1 then had a trumpet lesson - supposed to be 30 minutes, but it was more than an hour.  Meanwhile Kid 2 practiced her clarinet and worked in her summer bridge workbook.  Then after giving them some time with their electronics, I read to them from some world history and grammar books, followed by 2 chapters of their spy school book.  I only wish all summer days were this productive.

As for me, I did get a few things done for my clients.  I want to get up early tomorrow to go back and forth with my colleagues in the Eastern hemisphere so I can send out some reports.  I don't feel quite as tired as I have been lately, so maybe I can get up more easily.

• Like 2