Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW28: 52 Books Bingo - Ancients

Robin M

@aggieamy and @mumto2 You really made my day. I love love love hearing about WTM meet-ups. It really warms my heart. And photos make it even better!! Thanks for posting.

--

I have been spending my reading week in the 1920s:

Alberta Alone by Cora Sandel (Norwegian, 1880-1974) is the 3rd part of the Alberta Trilogy, a semi-autobiographical version of the author's life. The series is a classic of Norwegian literature, and Sandel was about the same age as Sigrid Undset (b. 1882). In this third part, Alberta is an unmarried, single mother living the bohemian expat life in post-WWI France. I am enjoying it immensely, and I think some of you would like it. 

I am also reading (in Danish) one of Tove Jansson's books for adults: Billedhuggers Datter (The Sculptor's Daughter). First published in 1968, it is a memoir of her magical childhood in Finland. Told as a series of vignettes, I am finding it to be a nice complement to the Moomins. My admiration for Tove Jansson as a writer continues to grow.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

@aggieamy and @mumto2 You really made my day. I love love love hearing about WTM meet-ups. It really warms my heart. And photos make it even better!! Thanks for posting.

--

I have been spending my reading week in the 1920s:

Alberta Alone by Cora Sandel (Norwegian, 1880-1974) is the 3rd part of the Alberta Trilogy, a semi-autobiographical version of the author's life. The series is a classic of Norwegian literature, and Sandel was about the same age as Sigrid Undset (b. 1882). In this third part, Alberta is an unmarried, single mother living the bohemian expat life in post-WWI France. I am enjoying it immensely, and I think some of you would like it. 

I am also reading (in Danish) one of Tove Jansson's books for adults: Billedhuggers Datter (The Sculptor's Daughter). First published in 1968, it is a memoir of her magical childhood in Finland. Told as a series of vignettes, I am finding it to be a nice complement to the Moomins. My admiration for Tove Jansson as a writer continues to grow.

Did you read any Department Q book?  If so, how would you say they do on describing Denmark /Copenhagen if you can speak to that? 

When I read Donna Leon I get a strong sense of place. Somehow when I read the Q books I don’t get that.  But then I thought maybe that IS the way it seems? 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

Love the pics Amy and mum! So glad you had a fun meet-up!

Me too!

I love seeing what people look like irl. 

I wonder what the person who took the picture was thinking about online meeting...

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Pen said:

Did you read any Department Q book?  If so, how would you say they do on describing Denmark /Copenhagen if you can speak to that? 

When I read Donna Leon I get a strong sense of place. Somehow when I read the Q books I don’t get that.  But then I thought maybe that IS the way it seems? 

I have not read a Dept Q book yet, but I remain tempted. Do they stand alone? Should I start with the first one, The Keeper of Lost Causes (Kvindet i Buret)?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Penguin said:

I have not read a Dept Q book yet, but I remain tempted. Do they stand alone? Should I start with the first one, The Keeper of Lost Causes (Kvindet i Buret)?

Definitely start with the first, which I loved.  I haven’t made it through the second one yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kareni said:

Today I finished a historical (moon shot era) romance novella that the authors serialized for members of their mailing list; I enjoyed it.

A Midnight Spark by Emma Barry and Genevieve Turner  

It's a bit scary (to me at least) to see that era now included in historical fiction. How can it be historical? I remember it lol! 😂😂😂

12 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Yes, plenty of time for audiobooks. I am always much faster with my audiobooks than reading books.  I love audiobooks - however, you can have a good or even great book but a horrible narrator and that can ruin the whole experience.

I once thought I couldn't listen to audio books because I always thought I retain better when I read something, but my first year at BaW convinced me to give them a try. Now I'm an audio book lover and nearly always have a book to listen to on my phone. I agree about the narrator. They can take a wonderful book and ruin it, but they can also take a so-so book and make it enjoyable. (No narrator, no matter how good, can save a bad book.)

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Our Dave Barry posts are timely. Dh gets weather forecast reports they always send out at his job when crazy weather things can impact markets, and we are officially in the CONE OF UNCERTAINTY!! Cue the doomsday music. The WeatherPersons are  wetting themselves and are growing giddy with excitement. 

I'm glad you're our of the path and am keeping NOLA in my thoughts but...

Didn't you mean THE CONE OF DOOM!! 😄 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Penguin said:

The first one was interesting and introduced the main characters, so I think start with it.  

But then it gets into for me too much Scandinavian weird noir angst... characters carrying around their dead children for example as also was in a Camilla Lackberg...

the next one after first that I liked had Marco in title.  Marco is a 15 yo character.  I think it was flawed, but it got into more interesting subjects for me. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Yes, plenty of time for audiobooks. I am always much faster with my audiobooks than reading books.  I love audiobooks - however, you can have a good or even great book but a horrible narrator and that can ruin the whole experience.

Almost all my “reading” is audio.

• Like 7

Regarding the moon shot era:

9 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's a bit scary (to me at least) to see that era now included in historical fiction. How can it be historical? I remember it lol! 😂😂😂

I remember it, too, so you're in good company!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Yesterday I finished a fun time travel book ~ Bump Time Origin by Doug J. Cooper. Initially I thought I might put aside the book, but then I got caught up in the story. I was a little surprised when the story ended and would like to read on. A sequel is promised but as this is a new book....

"On his twenty-fifth birthday, Diesel Lagerford is visited by a twenty-six-year-old version of himself. His look-alike spins impossible tales of their shared future, claiming they have dozens of “brothers” from parallel timelines who can visit each other using a T-box, a machine they bankroll with lottery winnings. He introduces Diesel to the incredible Lilah Spencer, the T-box operator, and Diesel falls head-over-heels in love. But during his travels across timelines, Diesel learns that Lilah will soon die under suspicious circumstances. Devastated, he joins his brothers in a race to save her. Can they solve the mystery of her death before it’s too late? And will their unusual solution play out over time in the ways they had anticipated?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Currently listening to: 

Notes on a Nervous Planet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9DFKGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LTtkDbG91GBY4

hugely enjoying it— insightful and funny... and well read. 

I give it 5 stars. 

It’s also Nice along with and beside Marcus Aurelius Meditations... comparing what’s new and modern angst to what was already on someone’s mind in Ancient Rome.   

• Like 6

On 7/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, Lady Florida. said:

I'm sorry an already stressful visit became more stressful due to your brother's family. I'll be keeping you and yours in my thoughts. 

I love Dave Barry! I first discovered him years ago through his Miami Herald column, and the first book I read was Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States. It had me laughing out loud through the whole thing. I loved Best.State. Ever. and chose it for book club a few years ago after we read several heavy, depressing books. I felt like we needed something light. As Floridians we all loved discussing it. I'm familiar with most of the places he describes in that book and I live about 45 minutes from Cassadaga. My mom and I went once for laughs but my SIL (dh's younger sister) actually takes the place and the predictions seriously. She even has a "regular" psychic she sees. The rest of the family is just ... 🙄 

Thank you for your kind thoughts. 

I don't think that I've read "Dave Barry Slept Here". I love his books also. Interesting about your SIL! 

• Like 5

Hey!  Great pictures @aggieamy and @mumto2  When I heard you were going to England, Amy  I had wondered if you would be getting together with Sandy.  So glad you got together.   It's been old home town week for the past few days as three different friends arrived in town for a visit.  Just as soon as one left, another arrived.  It's been busy.   This weekend we'll be hanging out a friend's music studio while they're recording an album.  

Hugs, love, and joy! 

• Like 5

This week’s Saturday Brit Tripping photos.......

Over the years my family has made a few visits to Bempton Cliffs https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/bempton-cliffs/to see puffins.  Until last week we had one (as in one puffin, once) confirmed sighting so our odds weren’t great and let’s just say my family loves me because it is a pretty boring 2 1/2 hours each way........but totally worth it this time, lots of puffins.  They are tiny(8inches) and nest inside the cliffs as opposed to on the cliff sides.  On the way to the cliffs I happened to read a sign that said their wings move 400 times per minute and managed to spot one by its’s super fast wings and orange feet almost instantly.  Here are a couple of photos of my puffins......The one I circled per experienced people was a baby who was terrified of the huge gannets outside his nest.  He spent about 15 minutes building up the courage to come out and fly.  So sweet!

2CB78807-D5F2-4CA5-90E4-DCA631C69153.jpeg

01BD58F5-DBC2-468D-8102-CC83D1B4C49C.jpeg

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Puffins!!!

@mumto2 Will they be gone by late August?  Your photos started me thinking that there will be some great bird watching on my trip later this summer.  

They will be gone from Bempton really soon which is why we had to go last week.  I know there are several places to see Puffins in Scotland and I think some are not necessarily breeding areas, so more year around I believe.  We are actually going to be with some of our Scottish friends tomorrow so I will ask.

You might want to investigate the Scottish Wildlife Trust Website  for more information and ideas https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/about-us/our-partners-and-supporters/scottish-natural-heritage/.  Hopefully you can get in.......I am a bit frustrated with EU laws blocking internet usage right now......I tried to see if Publix carried something earlier today and got blocked.   Their magazines are beautiful......we used to be members.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

They will be gone from Bempton really soon which is why we had to go last week.  I know there are several places to see Puffins in Scotland and I think some are not necessarily breeding areas, so more year around I believe.  We are actually going to be with some of our Scottish friends tomorrow so I will ask.

Isle of May!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pen said:

? What?

On my way out for the day but many sites that I am used to using when in the US are giving me a message that because of EU internet rules I can’t access content..  Most are things like grocery stores etc.  Where the expense for compliance would be to high I guess....but I know that I have been unable to use a couple of links from you all too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Isn't there a fix for that coming down the road?

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

On my way out for the day but many sites that I am used to using when in the US are giving me a message that because of EU internet rules I can’t access content..  Most are things like grocery stores etc.  Where the expense for compliance would be to high I guess....but I know that I have been unable to use a couple of links from you all too. 

• Like 3

On 7/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, Penguin said:

You should start with the first if possible. We're they originally written in Danish? Because one of the things I really enjoy is the word play between Carl Mørck and his assistant Assad, and I can't help but think that these surely wouldn't translate well directly, so perhaps the translator makes  suggestions? Or perhaps the author's English is good enough that he makes changed himself?

"You look tensive, Carl."

"Pensive, Assad. There's no such word as tensive."

"It is true that she was no good at driving. Nielsen said she turned over on a bend and smashed three very fine vehicles to figurines."

"I think that'd be smithereens, Assad."

"My feeling is we should follow Mie Nørvig's female intuition and take a fine toothcomb along with us."

"A fine toothcomb?"

"Yes, Assad. Or a fine-toothed comb. Whatever."

Edited by SusanC
Hit post before fixing all my Swype errors.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SusanC said:

You should start with the first if possible. We're they originally written in Danish? Because one of the things I really enjoy is the word play between Carl Mørck and his assistant Assad, and I can't help but think that these surely wouldn't translate well directly, so perhaps the translator makes  suggestions? Or perhaps the author's English is good enough that he makes changed himself?

"It is true that she was no good at driving. Nielsen said she turned over on a bend and smashed three very fine vehicles to figurines."

"My feeling is we should follow Mie Nørvig's female intuition and take a fine toothcomb along with us."

"A fine toothcomb?"

I haven't read that series but I read an Italian detective series (Inspector Montalbano). One of the characters is known for his malapropisms, similar to what you posted. The translator does an excellent job, and I often find myself chuckling at the things Catarella says. This type of thing either completely misses the mark or you forget it was originally written in a different language. A good translator makes all the difference.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Isn't there a fix for that coming down the road?

I think there is supposed to be but I also think the politics have been kicking up about it.   This summer I am really noticing it......I have a email so I get the headlines from my hometown newspaper and I can’t actually read the articles anymore which is irritating. 

The Puffin poem made me think of another interesting Puffling fact.........Pufflings need to be fed 5 to 8 times a day, 10 fish per feeding.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

"A fine toothcomb?"

SusanC, yes the book was originally published in Danish as Kvinden i Buret (The Woman in The Cage) in 2007 and it was a Danish movie in 2013. I think the English version came out in 2012, based on a quick search. I'll look for those examples in the Danish text 🙂

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Penguin said:

I'll look for those examples in the Danish text 

Great! The discussions I quoted came out of the 4th book, but the pattern has been pretty consistent, if you read one of the books and notice that type of word play I'll check out whichever book it is for comparison!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SusanC said:

Great! The discussions I quoted came out of the 4th book, but the pattern has been pretty consistent, if you read one of the books and notice that type of word play I'll check out whichever book it is for comparison!

Sounds good. Just know that I read VERY slowly in Danish - it is still very much a foreign language for me.

• Like 3