Menu

Do you follow the College Board's grade point equivalents?

I decided to use the ten point scale. Our public schools use it.

With grades from several different online sources with different grading scales, it’s trickier to do minuses and pluses. I also find the minuses and pluses harder to judge myself with the more subjective types of homeschool work. 

I think the other scales would be more useful and important in larger schools that have class ranking. 

• Like 4

Just thought you might like to see how other parts of the world give grades. Grading scales here are based on level of thinking on Blooms taxonomy not on percentage correct. 

C is recall and comprehension

B is relational and comparative thinking

A is insightful or abstract thinking  

This is true for all subjects.  Insightful and abstract thinking is defined differently depending on the subject. 

I wrote this into my paperwork when ds applied to American Universities.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, lewelma said:

Just thought you might like to see how other parts of the world give grades. Grading scales here are based on level of thinking on Blooms taxonomy not on percentage correct. 

C is recall and comprehension

B is relational and comparative thinking

A is insightful or abstract thinking  

This is true for all subjects.  Insightful and abstract thinking is defined differently depending on the subject. 

I wrote this into my paperwork when ds applied to American Universities.

Ruth in NZ

I like having this spelled out explicitly.  This is usually what I'm aiming for with my points - earning enough points for a C is mostly about knowing the information, while students with As can apply it.  I had a college prof say that he divided his tests that way-  a certain number towards recall questions, a certain number towards 'explain how this works' or compare/contrast, and then a few that involved applying the information (maybe interpreting data or designing an experiment in a science class).  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ClemsonDana said:

I like having this spelled out explicitly.  This is usually what I'm aiming for with my points - earning enough points for a C is mostly about knowing the information, while students with As can apply it.  I had a college prof say that he divided his tests that way-  a certain number towards recall questions, a certain number towards 'explain how this works' or compare/contrast, and then a few that involved applying the information (maybe interpreting data or designing an experiment in a science class).  

Totally off topic, but I love doing comparisons between systems as I have taught in both....

NZ high school grading works on an 8 point scale, not a 100% scale. 

1, 2 Not achieve

3, 4 low/high Achieve

5, 6 low/high Merit

7,8 low/high excellence

So teachers only have to put exams into 8 categories.

It is also a top down marking system, so if you can do the problems that require insight or abstract thinking, you can actually skip the easy regurgitation questions and still get an A.  It is NOT percent correct. 

Interestingly, if you were to attempt to convert the NZ system into percent correct, usually 40% of answers correct is all that is required for a C.  The exams are HARD.

In general, the system is designed so that 60% of students get Cs or Fs (there is no D).  40% get Bs or As.  This makes it very difficult for NZ students applying to American universities, because there is no grade inflation here. 

In additional, all exams here are essay based.  My son wrote 8 half to full page long essays on his chemistry exam in 12th grade. No multiple choice or fill in the blank to be seen.

The system is also designed so that the questions are open ended.  You can answer questions at an achieve, merit or excellence level. It is up to you to use the question to show off what you know.  You need to know what insight looks like for each subject, as the question will not ask it directly.

Fascinating stuff.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1