Menu

Looking for a sort of healthy version of scalloped potatoes with a twist

J-rap

We have a big extended family gathering for every major holiday, and I've slowly begun to substitute traditional dishes with a similar dish but maybe a bit healthier and with a twist?  So, scalloped potatoes is a popular dish at our Easter gatherings, but my kids barely like to touch it anymore because of all the butter and cheese and bacon...  Any ideas?

Can you still scallop but treat it more like a roasted potato dish with fresh herbs and just a hint of cheese? One of my favorite things right now are roasted potato wedges (like thick fries) with fried sage leaves and a light sprinkling of parmesan.

If you still wanted to use milk and have a cheesy taste: https://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-scalloped-potato-gratin/

• Like 3

I have clearly been making scalloped potatoes all wrong! Bacon? What kind of cheese?

I layer thinly sliced potatoes with (yes, some butter or margarine), Parmesan cheese, onions, pepper, dill, add some milk, cover them, and pop them on the barbecue. I don’t think of them as being terribly unhealthy, but we only have then a couple of times during the summer.

• Like 1

If you want to make a cheesy white sauce that's healthier I've found mixing Fage plain nonfat greek yogurt with salt, pepper, garlic, and a powdered parmesan/romano cheese mix is a delicious and healthier alternative to alfredo. 

I brought it (over gluten free pasta) to a pot luck dinner party (and brought another dish with homemade bolognese sauce). It was a hit and when I said the base of the sauce was nonfat Greek yogurt some of the skinniest women there went back for seconds and thirds. I think I took the one with the bolognese back home, but the yogurt sauce was gone.  Someone literally licked the container clean.

If you still wanted bacon I think those "real" bacon bits in stores have much less fat than bacon you cook yourself, but I don't remember any of the details because I generally eat low histamine.  I sometimes splurge for cheese but pork is generally something I avoid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

I have clearly been making scalloped potatoes all wrong! Bacon? What kind of cheese?

I layer thinly sliced potatoes with (yes, some butter or margarine), Parmesan cheese, onions, pepper, dill, add some milk, cover them, and pop them on the barbecue. I don’t think of them as being terribly unhealthy, but we only have then a couple of times during the summer.

I always thought that scalloped potatoes didn't have cheese and that adding cheese made them au gratin potatoes.

But then again, I call a certain style of potatoes "hashed browns" and people said they had never heard of it with the "ED" only "hash browns."

• Like 1

Julie in CA posted a upscale, doctored up version of scalloped potatoes starting with a boxed mix. This was years ago on here but people enjoyed it.

My theory for rich dishes is to keep them rich and balance them with healthier choices. So a rich potato dish with steamed veggies, lightly seasoned and a green salad with a light dressing. IOW, look at the whole meal to balance out on the "healthier" side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

I always thought that scalloped potatoes didn't have cheese and that adding cheese made them au gratin potatoes.

But then again, I call a certain style of potatoes "hashed browns" and people said they had never heard of it with the "ED" only "hash browns."

Yeah, my grandma’s scalloped potatoes were potatoes and milk, I think. I highly recommend not going this route; until recently, scalloped potatoes were one dish I refused to eat.

But now you guys are talking: cheese, bacon, white sauce!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Yeah, my grandma’s scalloped potatoes were potatoes and milk, I think. I highly recommend not going this route; until recently, scalloped potatoes were one dish I refused to eat.

But now you guys are talking: cheese, bacon, white sauce!

i know your grandma wasn't my mom but same. I think my mom used butter, too, and cream for special occasions.

I hated them so I barely paid attention. 

Just now, unsinkable said:

i know your grandma wasn't my mom but same. I think my mom used butter, too, and cream for special occasions.

I hated them so I barely paid attention. 

Amen, sister! And wth Easter dinner coming up, and going to my aunt’s, I’m REALLY hoping it’s not ham and scalloped potatoes.... but I’m prepared for the worst.

• Haha 1