Menu

Tell me all about paying for braces

mommyoffive

Orthodontist has actually done 3 free consultations to counsel removal of baby teeth and then verify that all adult teeth were in before starting. Cost is $5,000. Our dental insurance requires them to knock it down a bit and then pays a good chunk. Our share will be $862 down and $85 a month for 20 months (estimated treatment time is 24 months), and that will cover x-rays, the retainer, re-checks, and everything.

The same guy did mine almost 20 years ago, so I trust him.

$5000 each for two kids (so far).  Our dental insurance did not cover any of it. a new job resulted in new dental insurance this year so the next kid will be slightly less expensive out-of-pocket. My oldest will get her wisdom teeth out in July. Medical insurance does not cover it, dental insurance covers 50% so we will pay $1000

Edited by Shellydon

5 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

My youngest did 3 bouts of othrodontics and we are so happy she did not end up having to have jaw surgery,

I have two kids (now adults) with jaw issues.  Both had two rounds of braces and both will still require major jaw surgery that probably includes another round of braces.  I feel terrible about it.  My other two kids didn't have jaw issues and one round of braces was all they needed and they had great results (my two with jaw issues did not).  

• 1 month later...

Ok we were busy for a few weeks.  Now I find out that they can't save a tooth and want to take it out.   I went and reread this thread and its seemed mixed when talking about oral surgery.   Some said it was covered on dental insurance and some said it was billed towards the max of ortho.  Is this easy to find out before you move ahead with things, which way it will be billed?   I am sad we are having to go this route for one kid.  I had no idea that this problem even existed.  But I am glad that the dentist noticed it and we got it checked out.   It could lead to huge problems later. 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:16 AM, mommyoffive said:

Ahh here we go down a long and expensive road.  So tell me all the best advice on it please.  

Tell me all about paying for braces.   

How much did you pay? 

Is Invisalign cheaper?   How about the smile direct club? 

Does dental insurance not cover braces? 

How about extra ortho work?  Impacted teeth, wisdom teeth, expanders, horizontal teeth, and so on.    Does dental insurance cover it?  What is the best advice on that? 

We're doing DD's at the local university.  You sign up before May of the year you want to do it.  Cost is $4200.  They *do* take insurance.  That covers 50%.  You pay the first $1,000 by May.  Initial consult in July.  Balance due over the course of the next year or two dependent on what your insurance coverage was.    We did not check into Invisalign or Smile Club because we wanted something we were confident in and this is a common age for people to have braces.  She didn't need an expander, only needs to have wisdom teeth out later and we'll do it after she gets these removed.  (She's 15.)  

The two oldest had their wisdom teeth out - insurance covered about 80% - left us with right around $400 if I remember right.  That was not at the University.

We knew ahead of time this was going to be a doozy of a year for dental expenses and maxed out our flexible spending account.  Fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

We're doing DD's at the local university.  You sign up before May of the year you want to do it.  Cost is $4200.  They *do* take insurance.  That covers 50%.  You pay the first $1,000 by May.  Initial consult in July.  Balance due over the course of the next year or two dependent on what your insurance coverage was.    We did not check into Invisalign or Smile Club because we wanted something we were confident in and this is a common age for people to have braces.  She didn't need an expander, only needs to have wisdom teeth out later and we'll do it after she gets these removed.  (She's 15.)  

The two oldest had their wisdom teeth out - insurance covered about 80% - left us with right around $400 if I remember right.  That was not at the University.

We knew ahead of time this was going to be a doozy of a year for dental expenses and maxed out our flexible spending account.  Fun.

So smart.  I wish I would have known.  I guess I should just get used to doing that.  Last year we did have a huge medical expense, but I thought it was a fluke year.      Sounds like such a great idea to go to university. 

22 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ok we were busy for a few weeks.  Now I find out that they can't save a tooth and want to take it out.   I went and reread this thread and its seemed mixed when talking about oral surgery.   Some said it was covered on dental insurance and some said it was billed towards the max of ortho.  Is this easy to find out before you move ahead with things, which way it will be billed?   I am sad we are having to go this route for one kid.  I had no idea that this problem even existed.  But I am glad that the dentist noticed it and we got it checked out.   It could lead to huge problems later. 

You can get a pre-determination from the insurance company. You can ask both dental and medical.  Ds1's wisdom teeth were covered under medical. Ds2's tooth removal prior to braces (not wisdom, just other teeth) was covered under dental.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

So smart.  I wish I would have known.  I guess I should just get used to doing that.  Last year we did have a huge medical expense, but I thought it was a fluke year.      Sounds like such a great idea to go to university. 

We’re only a few months from a new year. Potentially you could delay and sort through options.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

You can get a pre-determination from the insurance company. You can ask both dental and medical.  Ds1's wisdom teeth were covered under medical. Ds2's tooth removal prior to braces (not wisdom, just other teeth) was covered under dental.  

Thanks for the reminder.  I am going to do that.  

Don't forget if you get FSA to ask for a discount if you pay X amount up front.  There is a cost and bother to them to take a payment from you whenever you have an appointment.  DD's ortho. gave a discount for that reason.  You can get your charge your entire FSA annual amount on your FSA card as soon in January as you get it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks for the reminder.  I am going to do that.  

If you might have two in braces at the same time (one starts treatment first and then during that time, another starts treatment.), check and see if there is a sibling/previous customer discount.  Ours gave 500 off any other family member getting treatment either at the same time or for being a previous customer.  

• Like 1