Menu

Mattress Woes

goldberry

So how really do you choose a mattress that will last without paying gazillion dollars? When we moved 4 years ago, we bought a new queen sized mattress.  It was a name brand, and not cheap-cheap, we paid about $1000-$1500 if I remember right.

After 4 years, (and we have rotated it annually) it's already mashed down in the middle and lost its shape.  Seriously?  Our previous bed we had for 20 years and didn't look that bad.  What did we do wrong?  If we get another bed, how do we avoid that happening again?

Edit:  Same model now would be about $1000 including box spring.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1

We bought our mattress when we got married from a local place we saw highlighted on a show talking about local businesses/manufacturers.  The family company has been manufacturing mattresses here in MA for a few generations now.  We bought a traditional type innerspring mattress with a low-profile boxspring and not a ton of padding on top.  They warned us not to buy it 'firmer' than we wanted, as it would not get softer with age.  We're coming up on our 25th wedding anniversary this year, and I have to say it's pretty much like new.  No sag at all - not even a tiny bit. If anything, our aging bodies would like it a bit softer, so I bought a foam topper.  It's a king, and came with a hinge in the middle to fit it in doorways.

They seem to have added more 'modern' styles such as foam mattresses, organic materials since we bought it - not sure how they compare to the traditional style they always made and still carry.  They have a website.  Not sure if they delivery nationally, but wouldn't be surprised in the age of internet that they do.  I obviously haven't paid attention to how prices have changed since we bought it, but I remember that it wasn't any more expensive than the stuff in the chain shops, and may have even been a bit better priced.

• Like 1

I have a Great Lakes model from http://www.clarebedding.com/ and it is really good.  My previous one was 8 years old in a King.  Ex husband and I were both bigger people and it still looked like brand new.  I just wanted a new mattress in a queen so I went to the store, had them look up what I had before and I bought the same model in a queen.

For a different approach, my kids have Tuft and Needle Mattresses.  They are cheaper and come with a 100 day sleep trial.  My brother who is a BIG and TALL guy and his wife have had theirs for 4 years and still love it.  They bought them for all of their kids.  My brother with fibromyalgia and other health concerns says his Tuft and Needle is the best bed he has ever had and he has had his about 2 years now.

• Like 1

I bought a Tempur brand mattress more than 20 years ago and it's still like new. The memory foam in it is much firmer and more resilient than the foam in cheaper foam mattresses (like my son has), and the "foundational foam" layer on the bottom has not broken down or gotten squashed at all in more than 20 years. It cost a lot up front, but I don't see myself replacing it any time soon, so the per-year cost is far less than any other mattress I've ever had.

I bought my son one of the memory foam mattresses on Amazon that have hundreds of positive reviews, but virtually all of those reviews were made within a few days or weeks of receiving the mattress, when the mattress seems great. Three years later it's total mush, he can practically feel the springs of the support beneath the mattress, so that was no bargain. I need to find a good queen-size mattress for his college apartment, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but it seems like every mattress I see for under $1000 or so that has great reviews, all the reviews are from new buyers and the 10-20% negative reviews are from people who've had them more than a year.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, goldberry said:

So how really do you choose a mattress that will last without paying gazillion dollars? When we moved 4 years ago, we bought a new queen sized mattress.  It was a name brand, and not cheap-cheap, we paid about $1000-$1500 if I remember right.

After 4 years, (and we have rotated it annually) it's already mashed down in the middle and lost its shape.  Seriously?  Our previous bed we had for 20 years and didn't look that bad.  What did we do wrong?  If we get another bed, how do we avoid that happening again?

Edit:  Same model now would be about $1000 including box spring.

I was about to post about this same problem.  I am so peeved - our previous bed also lasted 20 years and our new one is showing aging signs at 3 years.  I did read somewhere that pillowtop mattresses age faster, and ours is a pillowtop, so I will never buy another one of those again.

• Like 1

After being in the market for a year and finally having bought a mattress I can offer a few pieces of advice. First there are tons of reviews on youttube and you can specify exactly what you are look for: best mattress overall, best bed in a box, best for overweight people, best for people with back or hip pain, best for people who overheat. Foam mattresses are generally warmer then a traditional mattress and that can't really be corrected. Foam mattresses usually soften with age. The average life span for mattresses under say $3000 is between 5-10 years which is when you should replace them anyhow due to dust, dander, skin cells, sweat etc. 

I specifically have fibromyalgia, severe back and hip pain and get painful pressure points that make sleeping difficult. My kids bought me a Layla which is supposed to be good for those issues. It is still a little too firm and a little warm. I do have a foam mattress topper which makes it a little softer but also hotter. My pain is better though and I don't have to use ice packs every night like I did on my old mattress. I plan to move up a price category next time and buy a mattress traditional mattress like the ones they have at hotels because I ave found them to be both cooler and more comfortable.

We did try a Tuft and Needle but found it both way too warm and way to firm. They more pressure point pain you have the softer a mattress you need and there are some specially made for side sleepers with pressure point pain. Some highly reviewed ones you might want to check out are: The Purple (several models), the Ghostbed Luxe, The Idle Hybrid, Winkbed Plus, The Nolah and The Yogabed. 

• Like 1

We went with the "cross your fingers and hope for the best" approach. 😂 But we only bought ours a month ago, so I can't tell you how that turned out yet. We bought a hybrid mattress from some company we've never heard of from a local unclaimed freight place. Classy, right? Lol. But a queen-sized mattress was only $500, it's super comfy right now, and if we have to buy a new one in two or three years we aren't out a small fortune. And we didn't get bedbugs from the delivery truck, so I'm counting it as a win.

I can say that I have a neck and back that get messed up really easily from a bad case of whiplash in my early twenties, and I haven't had any pain whatsoever from this mattress. If it holds up even moderately well, I'll be buying all hybrid mattresses in the future. 

• Like 2