Menu

Sudden Jaw Pain

Soror

Sometime after lunch it came on, opening my mouth hurts a bit but it hurts quite a bit when I try to chew opening my mouth more than an inch or so. I thought it maybe be related to drainage I have but google keeps bringing up TMJ. Can that come on suddenly? 

et. the pain is just on one side all the way up to below my ear

Edited by soror

I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and I woke up one morning with one side of my jaw positively throbbing. I generally have a high tolerance for stuff, but the jaw thing was bad. Sometimes I clench my teeth at night, but this was a different kind of throb/ache. I took Motrin throughout that day and by the next day it was gone. It was weird.

• Like 1

I have not read the comments- but my daughter who has been battling the flu, after she had strep throat, woke up last wk screaming that her jaw hurt. I thought it might have been an ear ache because she does have such a congested head. Then yesterday she said the other side of her jaw hurt. I wonder if it is some wierd virus going around ?? We are in CA 

• Like 1

I've had TMJ with my jaw locking up in the past. Recently with my virus it's been acting up again (not locking, just hurting and threatening to lock), especially if I have to sleep with my mouth open because I can't breathe through my nose. It's calming down already. Hope yours does too!

If I'm worried it's going to lock, and I have to open my mouth, I kind of quickly thrust my head forward as I open my jaw. This seems to keep it on the right path, not the "locking up" path. YMMV, don't try this at home kids, and all the rest. Seriously, I have zero idea if this is good advice, but it works for me when things are getting wonky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

Sometime after lunch it came on, opening my mouth hurts a bit but it hurts quite a bit when I try to chew opening my mouth more than an inch or so. I thought it maybe be related to drainage I have but google keeps bringing up TMJ. Can that come on suddenly? 

et. the pain is just on one side all the way up to below my ear

I had this happen once when I was very stressed. Went to the chiropractor and she found the muscles on the top of my head were tight and pulling down to the jaw. Also she put on gloves and snapped to release some muscles in the mouth on that side. 

Try taking some calcium and magnesium if you have it and massaging your head and cheek to see if it helps. Hope you can get some care tomorrow!

• Like 1

thank you ladies. 

it is still there but not as bad. pushing on the jaw externally does not hurt and opening my mouth is not so bad, it is the chewing especially opening and closing big movements.

IDK right now I'm too sick to care much, stupid bug. perhaps it will still continue to go away??

I had that feeling right before I came down with mumps.

ETA: If it turns into mumps, don't suffer with it.  Use the home remedy I found online that actually worked for me: Mix a paste of powdered ginger and spread it over the affected area, keeping it covered with a hot wet washcloth and a dry hand towel for 20 minutes. You'll feel a weird tingly/drawing sensation. Take it off over a sink or garbage can because it makes a huge mess.  The pain and swelling will greatly decrease the first time, and by the third time you do it (at least 4 hours apart) it will be 90% better).

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Katy said:

I had that feeling right before I came down with mumps.

ETA: If it turns into mumps, don't suffer with it.  Use the home remedy I found online that actually worked for me: Mix a paste of powdered ginger and spread it over the affected area, keeping it covered with a hot wet washcloth and a dry hand towel for 20 minutes. You'll feel a weird tingly/drawing sensation. Take it off over a sink or garbage can because it makes a huge mess.  The pain and swelling will greatly decrease the first time, and by the third time you do it (at least 4 hours apart) it will be 90% better).

Wow, I've never heard of that connection, I'm filing that away in the category of things I'm wishing not to get. Thanks for the heads up though, should I, unfortunately, need that advice. Tonight my whole jaw (both sides) is throbbing. It did feel mostly gone now it hurts just sitting here, I've obviously got no clue, I'm taking ibuprofen before bed tonight and hope tomorrow is better on all accounts.