Menu

Natural Clothing Detergent Recipes

Slache

I am allergic to regular detergent and recently switched from All Free and Clear to a homemade one with hypoallergenic soap, baking soda and borax thinking that it would help me but I am in so much pain from the switch. Please give me the gentlest recipe you have that still cleans clothes and leaves them smelling fresh. Thank you very much!

Why did you switch from All Free and Clear? 
We tried the homemade detergent. I have two family members with skin sensitivities - and everything would bother one or the other.

I ended back at Tide and adding white distilled vinegar in the fabric softener spot. We've not had a problem since. I do an extra rinse in the washer too.

Good luck in your search!

30 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Why did you switch from All Free and Clear? 
We tried the homemade detergent. I have two family members with skin sensitivities - and everything would bother one or the other.

I ended back at Tide and adding white distilled vinegar in the fabric softener spot. We've not had a problem since. I do an extra rinse in the washer too.

Good luck in your search!

Because it still hurt.

Regular tide? What does the vinegar do?

Hey, Slache, have you read this thread? 

The double rinse mentioned above helps to remove any soap residue, and the vinegar acts as a fabric softener.

If you put a load of clothes in with no detergent and run the cycle for 20 minutes, do you see detergent bubbles? If you do, you have a buildup in your machine or in your clothing. 

39 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have a ftiend who swears by those ceramic/crystal/whatever laundry balls.  Even her boys' funky football uniforms and her dh's Army uniforms come clean and don't smell.  I haven't tried them yet.

Eco Eggs

I was skeptical til I tried it, and they actually do a very good job!

You’re in physical pain? Due to baking soda , borax, and or soap?

I’d check each of those individually to determine if you are allergic to one or another.  Any of those alone probably can be used to wash clothes, btw, so if one is culprit, leave it out.

Or try just some plain white grain vinegar in water. 

What’s in the soap?

Is it organic and  fragrance free?  

We used to use half a small bottle cap of Dr Bronner’s liquid baby soap.  That was enough for a whole load in old top load washer. 

But there is also a strong likelihood that residue of prior allergic substances is still in your clothes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Momto5inIN said:

Eco Eggs

We successfully used that (or one like it?) in fragrance free form.  However we have an HE front loader now and I had heard they were not approved for HE machines.  ???  I’d go back to them if they are okay in he machines.  

Edited by Pen

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Hey, Slache, have you read this thread? 

The double rinse mentioned above helps to remove any soap residue, and the vinegar acts as a fabric softener.

If you put a load of clothes in with no detergent and run the cycle for 20 minutes, do you see detergent bubbles? If you do, you have a buildup in your machine or in your clothing. 

No, thank you. I do two additional rinses after the wash cycle. There are bubbles on the first but not the second. Our washing machine completely sucks, but we are in an apartment and it's all we've got.

I do not use any form of fabric softener.

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Have you tried biokleen? Those of us who react to all tend to be able to use biokleen.

No, thank you.

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I have a ftiend who swears by those ceramic/crystal/whatever laundry balls.  Even her boys' funky football uniforms and her dh's Army uniforms come clean and don't smell.  I haven't tried them yet.

Thank you.

57 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Amway laundry products (and body soap, and deodorant) are the only products that don't turn Mr. Ellie's skin into a war zone.

Thank you.

53 minutes ago, Momto5inIN said:

Eco Eggs

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Pen said:

You’re in physical pain? Due to baking soda , borax, and or soap?

I’d check each of those individually to determine if you are allergic to one or another.  Any of those alone probably can be used to wash clothes, btw, so if one is culprit, leave it out.

Or try just some plain white grain vinegar in water. 

What’s in the soap?

Is it organic and  fragrance free?  

We used to use half a small bottle cap of Dr Bronner’s liquid baby soap.  That was enough for a whole load in old top load washer. 

But there is also a strong likelihood that residue of prior allergic substances is still in your clothes.

Yes. It is absolutely this soap, I know that for a fact. I do get rashes on my arms, but the main problem is my feminine area. It hurts to touch and even to walk when it's bad. I was at the doctor with what I thought was yeast infections several times a year for about two years before I was diagnosed with contact dermatitis and prescribed a medication.

I have used several types of soap, all are fragrance-free.

20 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Do you use them all the time, or use detergent sometimes, or quit using them altogether, or other?

My mom bought one for me, and I was skeptical because I have tried the homemade laundry soap and it never cleaned well like my All Free & Clear does, so I didn't get rid of my detergent, just tried the egg for 2 weeks. So far it's worked well. I still use Oxy and Norwex dish soap on various stains and vinegar in the softener dispenser. I still have a partial container of detergent to use up and I will keep some AF&C on hand just in case, but I plan to use the Eco Egg as my primary detergent after that.

14 minutes ago, Pen said:

We successfully used that (or one like it?) in fragrance free form.  However we have an HE front loader now and I had heard they were not approved for HE machines.  ???  I’d go back to them if they are okay in he machines.  

I have an HE front loader and it works fine. I *think* the insert inside specifically  said it was ok for an HE but I'm not 100% on that.

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

No, thank you. I do two additional rinses after the wash cycle. There are bubbles on the first but not the second. Our washing machine completely sucks, but we are in an apartment and it's all we've got.

I do not use any form of fabric softener.

No, thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Yes. It is absolutely this soap, I know that for a fact. I do get rashes on my arms, but the main problem is my feminine area. It hurts to touch and even to walk when it's bad. I was at the doctor with what I thought was yeast infections several times a year for about two years before I was diagnosed with contact dermatitis and prescribed a medication.

I have used several types of soap, all are fragrance-free.

If it’s the soap, try just borax for laundry—that will likely get almost anything clean enough if you have plenty of water compared to clothes and enough agitation.  (I personally think the laundry egg type things may work because they act like a washboard to help agitate dirt out.)  borax is good for getting out many smells and can help with stains sometimes too

the only soaps I do well with other than homemade :

1) Dr Bronner’s Baby soap...it’s very basic I prefer the liquid

2) African black soap in small amounts and not direct on skin because it is rough textured 

I often get into pain (and sometimes red rashy thing) where clothing rubs if there is any polyester and or if I am exposed to any herbicide or similar.   No matter what washed in. 

I can’t use clothes that have ever had Tide type detergents.  It never seems to leave totally.  

I had this move from skin level to migraine headaches etc ., so very worth solving it when “only” a skin issue.  

• Thanks 1

Also, not laundry related, I have a shower nozzle on a flexible hose so I can get soap *thoroughly rinsed* from anywhere on my body.

http://Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Liquid Soap - Baby Unscented 32oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HK1OOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m70tCb9JN9X1K

is the soap we use  for pretty much all soap needs including dishes

directions for small squirt on washcloth for body is about right 

dishes instructions are okay 

but all it took for clothes in laundry was about half cap from the bottle’s own cap (maybe a tablespoon of less) no way 1/3 cup—that was far far too much. Maybe they mean 1/3 cap.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

Also something like this http://Foaming Soap Dispensers Pump-Bottles for Dr. Bronner's Castile Liquid Soap, 250ml (8.5 oz) - Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJYE6AA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2d1tCb5C52PNB

can reduce amount of soap needed for washing hands etc.  so there is more lather with less soap.

This link is not working but I can go on Amazon and find it. Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Two of my friends developed severe skin allergies during their peri-menopause years. Both are now using Charlie's Soap laundry detergent with very good results.

Charles made me have the worst reaction to a soap I have ever had.  Itchy, rashes in places no one should ever have have.  And from talking to a few, it is common among those who have reactions to a lot of free and clear stuff. 

• Like 1

Have you tried plain lye soap? My DH makes it for my homemade laundry detergent (when we have time). You could buy a bar (I think we've used Grandma's from Amazon also) and try it in the shower before making a batch of detergent, assuming it's not the borax or soda that is causing the reaction. The bars make a nice stain stick as well. 

You do have to let it cure--it should be smooth and hard, not sticky. If it's sticky, it needs to sit longer. 

I got my first bar indirectly from someone who made his own lye soap due to serious skin issues.

• Thanks 1