Menu

Bronchitis

Terabith

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Coughing so much I feel nauseous and exhausted and keep vacillating between being freezing and burning up.  Pondering going and napping on the floor of the bathroom in case all the coughing leads to vomiting.  Sigh.  This is pathetic.  

I don’t think you have bronchitis.  Well...I suppose that whatever virus that started the bronchitis is still there in full force.   Are you sure it’s not the flu?  I felt really droopy with bronchitis, but what you’re talking about sounds more like a flu.

• Like 1

You definitely need to take the cough syrup so you can sleep. Dose it up good and hard. Are you taking vitamin c? And are you laying off anything slimy or sugary? No dairy, white flour, etc. Just clear broth with some chopped veges or bits of chicken. Have your dh get you some cans of chicken wild rice soup at the store and they can open just a bit. 

Hate to say it, but you better plan on being out all next week too. They WILL work it out. If the school doesn't work it out, their stats go down and they get in trouble. They will work it out. This is not the first time this has happened during student teaching. Besides, you really want them writing reviews of you trying to teach when you're SICK?? That's nuts. Stay in bed till you're well enough to do it right.

Edited by PeterPan

Yeah, I’m taking the cough syrup.  And I actually slept most of today.  Like a ridiculous amount.  Part of it was on the floor of the bathroom because I felt so queasy from coughing.  I’m taking vitamin D, should get some C too.  Doing elderberry.  Laying off dairy and most sugar, though I have had some honey.  Did have a few crackers because they seemed like they would stay down.  I should do soup.  Making it just seems like it takes more energy than I have. My husband started a new job this week too.  

I’ve been taking the cough syrup but not constantly because I want to be able to cough up the junk.  I have been taking it to sleep.  And I slept a ton today.  I might need to up my vitamin D.  Should get some C.  I’ve been eating clementines when I’ve felt up to eating anything.  No dairy.  Very little sugar other than honey for sore throat.  Have had some crackers.  I should do soup.  I’ve just felt too tired to even heat up a can of Campbells. I should do it anyway.  Have been drinking a lot of water.  

It all started last Saturday.  Surely I will feel better by Monday???

You have to take the cough medicine as directed, not just at night.  The "junk" may simply be mucus from inflammation caused by coughing.  If there is crud to cough up, your doctor would prescribe a cough medicine with an expectorant in it, which would help loosen that crud and allow you to cough it up.  

But your coughing doesn't sound like a "real" productive cough.  If you are gagging and wretching from the forcefulness of the coughing, then that reaction needs to be shut down so your body can heal the inflammation that is running amok in your lungs and bronchi.  Also, if you are coughing that hard, you can end up pulling a muscle in your rib cage, which will make simply breathing extremely painful.  I've done that.  It's terrible.  Like, kind of frightening-should-I-go-to-the-hospital-because-I-can't-breathe type terrible.    

Take the medicine, as prescribed.  All of it.  You will not get better faster by following the doctor's instructions only-sometimes.  The FASTEST way to getting better, in my experience, (bronchitis twice a year, every year for nearly 30 years, until I moved to a different climate), is to follow the doctor's instructions meticulously, even if you think you don't need to.  

• Like 4

You’re right.  I have been taking musinex (expectorant) around the clock.  She had verbally said the cough syrup would help me sleep, so I assumed it was a nighttime only thing.  But the directions do say to take three times a day.  It makes me sleepy. She did say rest was important though.  It’s sometimes productive but a lot of times it’s not.  I get on jags where I cough forcefully for a long time, but it’s not as much as it was.  And I feel less overall achy than I did.  Still some but not as much.  Mostly I’m just exhausted. Like I don’t feel like watching Netflix or reading exhausted, but sometimes I can’t sleep.  And nauseated.  The headache comes back if I stop the ibuprofen.  Fever is less than it was, but it still comes and goes.  Same with chills.  Main thing other than cough is just exhaustion and weakness. I keep thinking of all the things that need to be done, but I feel so sick when I try to get up and do anything that mostly I’ve just been laying in bed, sleeping and half heartedly reading stuff on the computer, but even that I can’t do for long because my eyes start to hurt.  And I’ve been taking like three baths or showers a day to try to get warm whenever the chills start.  

Edited by Terabith

Those coughing jags create a lot of inflammation in your airways, which then triggers more coughing, which triggers more inflammation, etc.  So the cough medicine helps to stop that runaway train. 

I hope you know I am not trying to scold you.  Whenever I've tried to "power through" a bout of bronchitis, it takes twice as long to get over it.  When I am really careful at following directions, I am feeling better much quicker.  If you follow the doctor's directions explicitly, you *should* feel vastly improved by Monday.  You won't be 100% back to normal for a few weeks; the cough takes up to 6 weeks to completely resolve.  But you *should* feel dramatically better by Monday *if* you follow directions. 

Edited to add: For what it's worth, my husband has to nag me to see the doctor when I have bronchitis.  Even though I *know* I need medical care, some part of my brain is like "nah...I've got this", and hubs has to kind of guilt and nag me into going. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been trying to do that today, though I’ve also been trying to get some stuff done.  Online portion of a cpr class I have to take Saturday (only time it’s offered) and lesson plans.  It’s just hard to concentrate and my eyes and head start aching after a little while, even with ibuprofen.  

If I lived close enough, I'd threaten to come over and make sure you do what you're supposed to do: take your cough syrup faithfully, rest, have soup, rest, rest, rest, rest. You are "exhausted" and weak because you are not getting enough oxygen, because bronchitis. So obey your body: rest. I don't care whether you think it's "productive" or not. You're in no condition to judge.

When you are sick, you body makes white extra blood cells to fight the sickness, and it uses calories to do that. If you are up and around, you're spending calories on being up and around, and there aren't enough calories left to make the white blood cells to fight the sickness, and so it takes longer to get well. So just rest. Quit fighting it. Quit trying to figure out if you'll be well by Monday (I don't think you will; if you were going to get well soon, it would already have happened.)

I'm so sorry that you're sick ((((Terabith)))) but you're going to have to just go with it and do the things.

If you live where your profile says you live, I have friends there. I'm so tempted to send them over to you!

• Like 3

I do live in Roanoke, but my house is an absolute disaster right now.  Would be mortified for anyone to see it.  I’ll rest.  I do need to do a few things from bed, but I’ll rest before and after.  And I’ll take my meds faithfully.  I’ll try to figure out soup.  It’s pathetic but the truth is I didn’t feel strong enough to make even canned soup.  But I’ll try again.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

I do live in Roanoke, but my house is an absolute disaster right now.  Would be mortified for anyone to see it.  I’ll rest.  I do need to do a few things from bed, but I’ll rest before and after.  And I’ll take my meds faithfully.  I’ll try to figure out soup.  It’s pathetic but the truth is I didn’t feel strong enough to make even canned soup.  But I’ll try again.  

(((Terabith))))

We don't care about your house, honey girl. We just want you to be well. Could your mil open a can of soup for you? Or is there a Vietnamese restaurant near you that delivers? When I'm sick, I crave pho. Best.chicken.soup.ever.

Thanks. I feel a little better today.  Still very tired and crappy but I think I can handle opening soup.  Whether it stays down or not, I dunno.  And my mother in law might be willing to bring some.  Or my husband when he gets home from work.  I think I’ll be all right.  Planning on pretty much just staying in bed.  It sounds appealing. 

We get soup from Trader Joe’s and Safeway/Vons/Railey/Albertsons when we are sick. The one from the Safeway chain is in a container so just need to tear off the cover and reheat.

The Trader Joe’s soup is in screw top cartons so it’s just pour into a microwaveable bowl and reheat. They also have a lot of choices for cream soup which makes it easier to drink with a sore throat.

10 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I suppose I should try eating something but really just want to sleep. 

Might not be the healthiest choice but Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix 0.73 oz Envelopes is helpful for when my kids aren’t feeling well and just need to get something in. Hot cocoa also helps my kids sleep better.

https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Swiss-Miss-60-0-73-Envelopes/dp/B006F63M8U

• Like 1

I think I am getting better.  I haven’t really run a fever today, but I still feel lousy and get dizzy if I try to get up.  I’ve been resting and taking meds.  However, I have started being nauseous and throwing up when I have bad coughing attacks.  I’m hungry and thirsty but afraid to eat or drink much. My chest hurts.  I don’t think I can go to the cpr class I was supposed to do tomorrow.  Other issue is I’m slipping into depression and hopelessness.  Possibly from exhaustion and isolation.  I sent an email to dr about nausea and vomiting and she offered to send in a script for zofran.  I told her that was completely ineffective.  She also was going to send it to pharmacy an hour away because it was cheaper there.  I asked if she could do phenergan but she said no.  Trying to decide if going to urgent care would be appropriate or not.  

Ugh!! When it rains it pours. 

You’re probably nauseated from the continued forceful coughing, as you guessed. I don’t know why your doc wouldn’t prescribe phenergan. If anything, its slight sedative effect could be quite helpful to you. Ask about compazine. 

So, no on the CPR class today. Even if you feel better right now, I promise you’ll feel even worse after being up and trying to do something. You’re body needs to rest and it’s telling you that in the only way it knows how. I’m not sure who you’re taking your CPR class through, but in my area these classes are put on very regularly by various entities. There is more than one official AHA training center in most areas of the country. 

Did you say your cough medicine has codeine in it? If not and you’re not allergic, ask for some cough med w/codeine. 

Is there anyone you can reach out to come visit or set up a rotation of calls/visits so you don’t feel more isolated?

I’m so very sorry you’re going through this!!

What I found helpful for me was drinking hot tea, steam (from warm mist humidifier) and a hot shower.

I'm asthmatic and I would need breathing treatments. 

I wouldn't use cough medicine unless my cough was stopping me from sleeping or the cough is particularly violent but usually my breathing treatments would help here.