Menu

Since I've had my Roomba . . .

RootAnn

DH bought me a Roomba (which the kids haved nicknamed Atlas) for Christmas. It hasn't even been two weeks left, but here is what I've noticed so far.

- My floors stay much more "picked up" than before because Atlas will either pick it up for them or loudly error when he gets stuck with a sock or ribbon or toy in his wheel/whatever. The front entryway stays more organized (shoes, boots) because he does a better job with a clear area.

- My floors look cleaner (consistently) every day than they used to. The main living area used to be vacuumed every other day with the full sized vac & on off days just spot-vac'd with the stick vac. (This is a kid-assigned-chore.) Now, even if no one releases Atlas on a particular day, the carpet looks cleaner. 

- No one (or almost no one) pulls put the full sized vac anymore, at least upstairs.

- Everyone loves him. There haven't been any fights (yet) over who gets to "release" him, but just about all the kids will offer to do so on their own initiative. (For privacy reasons, I have chosen not to set up the App, so we just set him free when we feel like it.)

- My carpeted & non-carpeted areas both receive plenty of love.

- I want less furniture in my life so as to make Atlas's job easier. Will this lead to a more minimalist lifestyle? Maybe. Too soon to tell.

If I ever move to a house with a bigger kitchen, I'll be tempted to get one of the robotic moppers. I just don't have enough linoleum to justify it. (My dining room floor is carpeted!)

• Like 15

Woo-woo!!! I was able to reform my ds' bedroom hygiene by telling him that the floor HAD to be picked up weekly to run Roombie... And yes, my mudroom *counters* might not be to clear but my floor usually looks great, lol.

Well that's exciting! As for your next step, I don't know if I'd want the robot mopper thing. I had a thread a year ago about what to get if I loved a Roomba. I can't find the thread (sigh), but the answer was the Bissell Crosswave https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2696476/bissell-crosswave-multi-surface-cleaner.jsp?prdPV=18  I got mine from Kohls on sale, plus coupons, then got Kohls bucks, so it was basically a crazy deal, like maybe $125. GREATEST THING EVER. 

Now granted, I have a lot of hardwood and a tile entry and a vinyl kitchen, but it's just so nice. I had a party and that baby can clean all my floors so fast, all the surfaces, and they look great. 

My next step is to reform and start mopping once a month, haha. I usually let it go 6+ months and then it takes several run-throughs to look really clean. (Hold it, did I just admit I mop only 1-2 times a year??) It's a bit of a hassle to take it out, but it does a great job. So then let's think about this, would the mopping roomba change that? I mean, the Bissell does require me to get it out and it's not so snazzy easy as my Roomba. There's no way the pad approach of the mopping robot would get my floor as clean, call me crazy. But if I robot mopped once a week, that might make up for the lower effectiveness, I don't know. 

How much do the mopping Roomba's cost? How often do you want to be clean? Apparently I'm satisfied with occasional deepcleaning and more constant pigishness. Have you read the mopping robot reviews? I'm either going to Florida or buying some things to make my life better (robots, camera, whatever). I haven't decided. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I can't find the thread (sigh), but the answer was the Bissell Crosswave https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2696476/bissell-crosswave-multi-surface-cleaner.jsp?prdPV=18  I got mine from Kohls on sale, plus coupons, then got Kohls bucks, so it was basically a crazy deal, like maybe $125. GREATEST THING EVER. 

I actually have something almost exactly like this.:blush: It's great, but . . . I don't use it much because I have to get it out of the closet & fill it & run it myself. Might as well just get out the mop,  ya know? It was supposed to mean I cleaned the kitchen & downstairs bathroom (tile) floor more, but I didn't stay on the wagon. (Did I mention we have mostly carpet? Two of our three bathrooms are carpeted.) If DH wasn't around, the kitchen would be mopped as often as you do it. However, he mops regularly, so I'd get a robot mopper to make me feel less guilty that he does most of the mopping. But not unless we had a bigger area to mop and the moppers improve (which I think they will eventually). I'm not quick on the adopting technology front!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

so I'd get a robot mopper to make me feel less guilty that he does most of the mopping.

Have you tried one of the swiffer wet jet things? I'm not sure even something like that would compel me to get up and mop. Your floor probably gets dirtier than mine. What about your ready-made slave population? :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I NEED a robot vacuum in my life, but I keep chickening out on the expense.

My dh thought it was crazy too, but I pointed at that having my house cleaned just once or twice would probably be equivalent. Also, it helped me go off $$$$$$$$$$ inhalers. I was basically saving money within 1-2 months.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Have you tried one of the swiffer wet jet things? I'm not sure even something like that would compel me to get up and mop. Your floor probably gets dirtier than mine. What about your ready-made slave population? :biggrin:

I didn't use my actual swiffer much. I use the cloths to dust, but not the stick they go with. My slave population doesn't do a great job with vacuuming (thus the robot vac success!). I can't imagine how bad mopping would be!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Oh, I'm so jealous! I NEED a robot vacuum in my life, but I keep chickening out on the expense. I'm going to give in at some point.  (I'm also going to eventually give up my stupid feather couch pillows, which begin shedding the second I put the regular vacuum away. @@) 

Do you have carpet or hard floors?

There are quite inexpensive robots that do a nice job with hard floors, you don't have to go with a big name. Robots that do a good job with carpet do seem to be more expensive based on reviews.

11 hours ago, maize said:

Do you have carpet or hard floors?

There are quite inexpensive robots that do a nice job with hard floors, you don't have to go with a big name. Robots that do a good job with carpet do seem to be more expensive based on reviews.

I have both! I want to get rid of the carpet, but even then I'd be putting down a large rug.

I've also been a bit concerned with how big they are, and the odds of finding ourselves tripping all over the place. Running it overnight would be out now that there's been a local incident with a wonky battery catching fire.  (I don't know what brand.). It's totally still on my wish list, though, lol.

• Like 1

I have a geriatric Roomba named Margaret. She has dementia. I keep considering getting a new model but I balk at replacing an expensive appliance when it isn’t actually broken, just doing a dottering job.

I do love Roombas, though. 

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, Quill said:

I have a geriatric Roomba named Margaret. She has dementia. I keep considering getting a new model but I balk at replacing an expensive appliance when it isn’t actually broken, just doing a dottering job.

I had a geriatric Neato named Nellie which I just replaced with Rosie Roomba (not very original, I know). The battery on the Neato was going bad and rather than replace it I replaced the whole device with a more modern one. One I can start by saying, "Alexa, tell Rosie to vacuum". 🙂 

Robot vacuums might seem like an unnecessary toy but if you have back problems that make vacuuming difficult, and the other people in your house have very busy/crazy schedules, a robot vacuum can be a godsend.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Quill said:

Have you changed out parts?  We have changed our Zoombo's brushes and put in a new battery and now he's almost as good as new. 
You can get the parts at a discount-price on Amazon. 

I saw some Roombas on clearance for $200 at Walmart just before Christmas, and now might be a good time to look for open-box sales.

13 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

Have you changed out parts?  We have changed our Zoombo's brushes and put in a new battery and now he's almost as good as new. 
You can get the parts at a discount-price on Amazon. 

I saw some Roombas on clearance for $200 at Walmart just before Christmas, and now might be a good time to look for open-box sales.

Yes, I have changed out parts in the past. I bought a new battery and of course new filters. The little side whisk doesn’t operate anymore. The dust bin doesn’t hook on soundly and sometimes Margaret sweeps the kitchen for an hour with her ass still back in the hallway. Other times, she sweeps over dirt but totally ignores it. She’s also only halfway reliable for going back to home base. Sometimes she’ll just wander around the kitchen like Grandma off her medication until her battery tanks. 

Poor old thing. 

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I had a geriatric Neato named Nellie which I just replaced with Rosie Roomba (not very original, I know).

Quoting myself rather than editing to say ds asked if that was stereotyping to give the Roomba a female name. I told him we can rename it Robbie Roomba or Ronnie Roomba or even Bob or Tom if it will make him feel better. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

sometimes Margaret sweeps the kitchen for an hour with her ass still back in the hallway. Other times, she sweeps over dirt but totally ignores it. She’s also only halfway reliable for going back to home base. Sometimes she’ll just wander around the kitchen like Grandma off her medication until her battery tanks. 

Poor old thing. 

This is cracking me up and really did make me lol because I can totally relate. Our Neato had been doing the same kind of dumb stuff. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Quoting myself rather than editing to say ds asked if that was stereotyping to give the Roomba a female name. I told him we can rename it Robbie Roomba or Ronnie Roomba or even Bob or Tom if it will make him feel better. 😄 

Maybe just go gender-neutral with something like Casey or C.J. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

You'll be glad to know that since my roomba was replacing the MAN who did the sweeping, his name is Roombie.  :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Sometimes she’ll just wander around the kitchen like Grandma off her medication until her battery tanks. 

It sounds she should be dedicated to science and replaced with a handsome new male model. I found one this morning, but I don't know if he sweeps. :biggrin:

(removed the gorgeous male doing some kind of exercise in a video because, well we're not supposed to be lusting after men, but ALL I WAS DOING was looking for videos on bicep curls, honest...)

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, school17777 said:

If a Roomba can vacuum stairs, then I want one

I got my mom a little Eureka hand vac (corded) for that. My stairs are hardwood, no carpet, so I just sweep them with a broom. Sometimes I wish for carpet on the and then I whack myself on the head and wonder why, lol.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2019 at 11:12 PM, school17777 said:

If a Roomba can vacuum stairs, then I want one

I always want a stairs Roomba. I remember once watching a documentary on robotic tools and there is such a thing as a robotic “crawler” that moves over all the exterier surfaces of an airplane, checking the security of bolts and joints. When I saw that, my thought was, “So the technology exists to make a robot stair vacuum...” 😄

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, PeterPan said:

Woo-woo!!! I was able to reform my ds' bedroom hygiene by telling him that the floor HAD to be picked up weekly to run Roombie... And yes, my mudroom *counters* might not be to clear but my floor usually looks great, lol.

Well that's exciting! As for your next step, I don't know if I'd want the robot mopper thing. I had a thread a year ago about what to get if I loved a Roomba. I can't find the thread (sigh), but the answer was the Bissell Crosswave https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2696476/bissell-crosswave-multi-surface-cleaner.jsp?prdPV=18  I got mine from Kohls on sale, plus coupons, then got Kohls bucks, so it was basically a crazy deal, like maybe $125. GREATEST THING EVER. 

Now granted, I have a lot of hardwood and a tile entry and a vinyl kitchen, but it's just so nice. I had a party and that baby can clean all my floors so fast, all the surfaces, and they look great. 

My next step is to reform and start mopping once a month, haha. I usually let it go 6+ months and then it takes several run-throughs to look really clean. (Hold it, did I just admit I mop only 1-2 times a year??) It's a bit of a hassle to take it out, but it does a great job.

I am TERRIBLE at mopping and hate it. I also go months without mopping (just sweeping and spot cleaning).  Eventually my socks start getting too dirty and I must do something.  I have wood floors in the living and dining and tile in the kitchen and entry. How much fluid does it use?  Is it really okay on wood floors?

I think I want this Bissell!  It's $299 now so I will have to stalk it for a sale.

7 hours ago, hjffkj said:

They have accepted our offer! So here is my question, is Roomba really good on both carpet and hardwood? I just told dh that withing the year of buying the new house I'm buying a Roomba. He laughed, which means go for it.

Mine is, and as I said, mine is an old model. Presumably new models are even better. My first floor is all hardwood or tile, except for an area rug in the family room. My second floor is all carpet except in the bathrooms. Roomba does fine for all of these surfaces, although it is true the large majority of the time, I use the Roomba in the hallway and kitchen, which is tile. Most times I Swiffer my hardwood rather than Roomba it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Quill said:

Mine is, and as I said, mine is an old model. Presumably new models are even better. My first floor is all hardwood or tile, except for an area rug in the family room. My second floor is all carpet except in the bathrooms. Roomba does fine for all of these surfaces, although it is true the large majority of the time, I use the Roomba in the hallway and kitchen, which is tile. Most times I Swiffer my hardwood rather than Roomba it. 

Good to know. Thank you

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've had our Roomba for a few months now and it can pretty much catch up with the dirt, and fur. Though I noticed it works best on our hardwood area. I also like how we get to schedule it. One problem I have with it is when we have to declutter first before we let it run, so it doesn't end up eating the cables. 

How loud are they? When do your run it? Can it do regular plush carpet? That's what I have in bedrooms but the living area is a combination of laminate + endless strips of runners because I have an old dog that slips on the laminate. So my house looks like a bunch of airport runways with strategic lines of carpeting to get him from place to place. It's a total pita to clean. 

I might want one but I think my dog will attack it if I'm not home so that means running it when I'm here. If I had headphones on would I still hate it? 

I think it is pretty loud (like our white noise makers), but a friend who heard it didn't think it was loud. I would say it is softer than our 20+ year old Hoover. Not saying much!

We run it whenever we like. I don't have it hooked up to the app, so everything is manual here.

Most of my floors are regular plush (not shag!) carpet. It goes between that & the laminate in the kitchen & entryway with no issue. It also goes over our spot rugs & the oilcloth we have down under the dining room table (because our dining room is carpeted, don'tchaknow?).

• Like 2