Menu

Rethinking our diet—fermented foods

bethben

I am trying to figure out simple ways we can help get some fermented foods into our diet.  Im trying different things and know it has to taste good otherwise my kids won’t eat it.  Fermented pickles are a “no” for example.  I am also getting rid of refined sugar around here, but that’s an easy fix to me.  I’m going to play around with kefir and real sour dough bread, but I’m wondering about raw cheese.  It seems like it does have some beneficial qualities and in our state, it is legal to sell (raw milk-you can’t unless you “buy” a cow share).  The question- is it safe?  The healthy proponents argue yes and anything dealing with the government says no.  What says the hive?

When I was better at doing fermented foods, I found fermented condiments were great- fermented mayo and ketchup.  You can find recipes online, I can't remember which website I got them from at the time.  

I also did milk kefir, which I only fermented for 24 hours per batch.  It was mild enough that I could use a stick blender and trhrow in some frozen strawberries and a tsp of maple syrup and have a really good yogurt drink.  

For the raw milk-  we drink it but the best thing is to know the safety of the place you get it from.  Check out the farm and ask for their testing results. The place I get ours from is wonderful especially as the farm down the road people just trust as it is “run” by some people of the community and has a lot of bacteria issues. 

I use raw milk, so clearly I view it as safe enough.

kefir and yoghurt in smoothies are the easiest way for my people. If I put enough maple syrup they will eat/drink anything 😂

most cheese is fermented right? Mine need feta in their salads. Instead of expanding list of fermented foods I find it’s easier to eat more frequently the ones we do like. I mean they won’t eat kimchi, fine, but smoothies x time a week they will take. 

I do throw a dollop of miso to my soups whether it belongs there or not. 

• Like 1

We eat raw cheese all the time and we live to tell about it. For milk I prefer goat milk from the farm where I get my eggs. We have also been living off sourdough bread. I have a loaf rising as I am typing. Good stuff. Rosie in Australia is an expert in all things fermented on this board. When something goes wrong, I come and scream "Rosie" and she has been able to calm me down.  🙂

For getting more into fermentation and many different recipes (I never knew how many different things you can dress up with Kefir), check out Donna Schwenk's website or borrow / get her book

https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/

There is a part to sign in for something but I never go there. I use as much as I can of her site for free but I also have her book. I got her Kefir grains a few years ago and they are going strong. 

3 hours ago, barnwife said:

Is the question " is raw cheese safe?". 

Fresh raw cheese is a little safer than raw milk.  Hard cheese aged 60 days is considered equal to pasteurized. 

I second this!

And the idea that you only need to find/discover/adopt the fermented food you like and enjoy and eat those regularly--no need to stress about having a laboratory of a zillion different fermentations (unless that is your hobby/passion).

5 hours ago, Liz CA said:

🤗🤗🤗 Isn't that what the essence of fermenting is? Messing around and chatting about it?  

That's exactly what I like about fermented foods!  (Also why I liked teaching elementary school science -- it had much of the same vibe.)

Alas, no one else here really likes eating what I come up with.  Dh likes Bubbies sauerkraut better than the home-fermented. 

As for raw cheese, when the kids were younger that's what I bought all the time -- especially brands like Organic Valley that are distributed fairly widely.  As a matter of fact, it was on sale at Whole Foods just last week. 

12 hours ago, Liz CA said:

We eat raw cheese all the time and we live to tell about it. For milk I prefer goat milk from the farm where I get my eggs. We have also been living off sourdough bread. I have a loaf rising as I am typing. Good stuff. Rosie in Australia is an expert in all things fermented on this board. When something goes wrong, I come and scream "Rosie" and she has been able to calm me down.  🙂

For getting more into fermentation and many different recipes (I never knew how many different things you can dress up with Kefir), check out Donna Schwenk's website or borrow / get her book

https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/

There is a part to sign in for something but I never go there. I use as much as I can of her site for free but I also have her book. I got her Kefir grains a few years ago and they are going strong. 

Thank you!  This is a wonderful site!  I know that if I go slow, my family adapts better to things.  I'm going to start with the milk kefir and sourdough bread.  Both of those are like little pets that you need to feed all the time.  I also got a sample pack of some prebiotic tea she recommended since that is really easy to implement.  I have two kids and myself with suspected gut issues that need correcting.   I did try some fermented lemon juice and I think I turned it slightly alcoholic...I drink it and it makes me feel a little woozy.  I will stick to milk kefir for now.

Edited by bethben
  • Like 1