Menu

Can we get our money back (insurance question)?

Kassia

DH's employer offers vision insurance and he only puts me on the policy every few years when I have to get my eyes checked (before my driver's license exam).  He filled out the forms to add me to the plan for next year and was told by the HR person that I was already on this year.  He found an email from last year that he had sent saying that I was not going to be on the plan for 2018 and forwarded that to the HR person.

Her response was, "LOL.  I don't know how that happened."  

So, we've been paying for vision coverage for me all year even though DH requested I be dropped from the policy last year during the enrollment period.  Should we pursue this with the HR person (it's a very small company)?  I don't know how much we paid total for me - my guess is around $150.  If I had known I would have gone this year and not planned on going next year.  Grrr.  

Just now, linders said:

Not sure you will be able to get a refund. If the company sent a notice confirming benefits after he signed up (my DH's plan does this) and he didn't notice the error, probably not, but he can always ask.

We didn't receive anything.  The only way he would know is to check his pay since my coverage was deducted.  But he never noticed.  

For me it would depend on a few things, like -

how much of a financial burden it placed on me/my family by having the unwanted insurance 

how much hassle it would be to get the refund

how much ill-will it might cause with HR 

$150 is a lot of money, but month by month it wasn't enough to notice.  If it were me, I would probably let it go, and be sure to check the premium deductions carefully in the future, and/or ask for confirmation from HR. But I don't think it would be wrong to ask.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SereneHome said:

I would try.  I don't like paying for things I didn't "order". 

That's what bugs me.  But what especially bothers me is the HR person's response with the LOL.  I wouldn't LOL if I accidentally cost someone else money.

1 hour ago, maize said:

The year isn't over, could you still go this year?

I'm not sure if I could get an appt. with the holidays.  And my grown sons are all coming to visit.  It's so rare that all of us are together - I hate to have to go for an appt. while they are here if I don't have to.  But that would be a way to get around it.  I will most likely need glasses to pass my vision test next year for my license so I'm not sure if I could get those in time either.  

31 minutes ago, Kassia said:

It's so rare that all of us are together - I hate to have to go for an appt. while they are here if I don't have to.  But that would be a way to get around it.  I will most likely need glasses to pass my vision test next year for my license so I'm not sure if I could get those in time either.  

If I walk in to LensCrafters when it opens, I can get everyone in my family checked and the prescription written before lunch. Our insurance covers vision test fully at LensCrafters but not the glasses. So we go to an optician shop to get our glasses and they charge insurance immediately once we pick our frame.

Adding kids and me cost $20 extra per paycheck. No choice of kids only without spouse, or rather no difference in cost.

6 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I don’t think it’s worth the effort. You really risk sour grapes with HR and the company. They can’t get a refund from the insurance company, so it’s coming out of their bottom line if they do a refund. Just be sure to stay on top of the paycheck deductions in the future. 

That's where we are not.  It's not worth causing trouble.  I just wish the HR person was more professional about it.

We live in a semi-rural area and there isn't a Costco or Lenscrafters nearby and I don't know if they are covered by our insurance.  I used to always go to Walmart and it was easy to get an appt. there but they are not covered anymore so I'd have to go to an actual office.  

I would but this week is so busy with Christmas coming and my three sons will be here soon with one SO.  I have so much prep to do for that - shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.  I just don't want to add to the stress with another appt.  I've been having other problems and have had multiple doctor appts. in the past few weeks and am waiting for results that might mean another appt. soon.  And I'm on a waiting list for carpal tunnel surgery and hoping I get in for that (but doubtful) before my actual appt. at the end of January.

ETA - DH said it doesn't matter anyway since he already enrolled me for next year.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

That's what bugs me.  But what especially bothers me is the HR person's response with the LOL.  I wouldn't LOL if I accidentally cost someone else money.

I'm not sure if I could get an appt. with the holidays.  And my grown sons are all coming to visit.  It's so rare that all of us are together - I hate to have to go for an appt. while they are here if I don't have to.  But that would be a way to get around it.  I will most likely need glasses to pass my vision test next year for my license so I'm not sure if I could get those in time either.  

You know what??  I would definitely try to get $$ back and forward that email to her manager.

• Like 1

I'd let it go then unless the amount of money is a serious problem for your family.

It is annoying (especially the LOL response) but on the spectrum of "things that can go wrong In life" it's pretty minor. Major sickness, accident, job loss, etc. are things that I don't have a choice not to stress over if they happen. I try to just let lesser issues go and be grateful they weren't something bigger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1