Menu

adult novel 'clean reads'

chocolate-chip chooky

16 hours ago, moonflower said:

I have basically the same kid, and it is hard.  she inhales books, too, so it's not like I can find one book a week or something like that.  

Agatha Christie, if she likes her, will last months and months.  I think we're about a year in and we still have a few books left.

Most of Le Guin is not very adventure-y but if she can stand scifi at all, some of the Hainish novels are more adventurey than the others.  Rocannon's World, etc.  They are of course clean, virtually all of Le Guin is clean.  

I need a new book for her every 2 - 3 days at the moment, depending on the book. Day of the Triffids took her a couple of extra days 🙂 

Thanks for the suggestions. She generally wouldn't head towards sci-fi, but then she did just read Day of the Triffids, so it's worth a try.

5 hours ago, Cnew02 said:

John Sanford is one of my favorites and it's all clean as far as language and sex. There's reference to it, but it's never explicit.  His Prey series and Virgil Flower series should occupy her for a little while. 

If she's into supernatural-ish mysteries, I was reading Dean Koontz at her age and it's 100% clean. 

These aren't high literature, but they are fun reads. 

Oh, Dean Koontz. I don't usually like supernatural novels, but I remember really liking the Odd Thomas series. I'll put that on hold at the library for my daughter. I know they have it. Thank you 🙂 

I haven't heard of John Sanford. Off to look him up...

A couple of authors you may not have heard of...

Joel Ohman's Meritropolis series is a dystopian, Hunger Games-like trilogy.

Diane and David Munson write crime thrillers - The Camelot Conspiracy is one of their books.   The authors are ex-FBI agents and write fiction based on real cases.  Some of their books do have some romance, but it's not the central plot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I read through a lot of Michael Crigthon and Agatha Cristie in that age group.  Crighton might be a bit borderline.  I've let my 11 year old read Jurassic Park and its sequel.

The Memory, Sorry, and Thorn fantasy series has some suggestion, but nothing explicit.  

Michael Crichton - that's a good idea. We own some of his books, so I'll dig some out and have a pre-read perhaps. Thank you 🙂 

On 12/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Goodness. Maybe I need an e-reader. I'm guessing you can change the font size for tired old eyes too 👍

And the kitten can't destroy the books! I had to buy a book just recently from the library that the new kitten chewed on 😕 That was $30 not budgeted for...

I resisted the Kindle at first, but never went back after reading the first book (When I could get a book on Kindle format cheaper than in paper, I tried it...) And now, yes, I LOVE I can make the font size bigger to make it easier to read!

(And I started out reading on my smartphone! I Can't imagine reading there anymore. Though I do read on my ipad some. In fact, we discovered some Kindle books that won't work on the Kindle but will work on the ipad -- Such as Bubbles and the Berry Bush, a picture book written by a local homeschooling mom that my 7 year old loves. https://smile.amazon.com/Bubbles-Berry-Bubble-Blowing-Dragon-ebook/dp/B06XC7K42P/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1545233874&sr=1-2)

HAs she read the Caedfael mysteries by Ellis Peters yet? Those are good, though sometimes hard to find in libraries.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Thanks heaps, everyone. I appreciate all the help.

I've been to the library and brought home a stack of your suggestions that were there, and I've put a whole lot of others on hold.  Unfortunately, heaps of your suggestions are only available as ebooks or not at all. I've put an ereader on my to-consider-when-there's-a-bit-of-spare-cash-one-day list.

Thank you all so much 🌻

44 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thanks heaps, everyone. I appreciate all the help.

I've been to the library and brought home a stack of your suggestions that were there, and I've put a whole lot of others on hold.  Unfortunately, heaps of your suggestions are only available as ebooks or not at all. I've put an ereader on my to-consider-when-there's-a-bit-of-spare-cash-one-day list.

Thank you all so much 🌻

as nice as a dedicated e-reader is, the kindle or overdrive app on a tablet or phone is nothing to sneeze at. I read on my phone all the time. I PREFER the kindle, but the phone is close, and books are books, lol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've put an ereader on my to-consider-when-there's-a-bit-of-spare-cash-one-day list.

I love an ereader for reading outside at our camp, but I actually do more reading with the Kindle app and library apps on my laptop. Mostly because it's usually right at hand, I guess.