Menu

adult novel 'clean reads'

chocolate-chip chooky

I'm forever chasing more novels for my 12 yr old daughter.

She craves the complexity of adult fiction, but I'm not ready to let her loose. I still want to ensure she's not reading anything explicit. Some language and violence is okay. For example, she loved Origin by Dan Brown.

I just don't have the time to pre-read everything and she's outgrown most of the tween and teen reads.

I've had a lot of help on the Gen Ed board, but thought I'd ask here too.

She particularly likes the thriller/suspense genre.

Thanks 🙂 

How about The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency? Mystery, even if not a thriller.

Has she read the Echo Falls mysteries? They're YA, not adult, but they're really good. Real murder, but because the protagonist is young, they're definitely clean.

Would she read cozy mysteries in general? They tend to be cleaner. If you do a search for "clean mysteries" then you'll turn up a number of potential lists. There's also a lot of Christian mysteries, which might or might not suit...

• Like 7

If you can find the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson, it may fit the bill. No profanity or se$ual inuendo, crime thriller with some clean romance on the side.

Danger in the Shadows, The Negotiator and The Guardian are the first three books in that series. The premise is several orphans banded together after they became adults and took on a family name so they became brothers and sisters. All of them (of course) have interesting jobs like Cops, Firefighter, Forensic Pathologist, US Marshal, etc. This set-up lends itself to some crime stories. There is some Christian content - not sure if that will be okay with you or not.

Unfortuantely, I have to say that later books by Dee Henderson have suffered in quality IMHO so I cannot recommend all her titles but your dd will be the judge of that if she wants to read more. 

Another "clean" author is Dani Pettrey. She has written the Alaska series and the Chesapeake Bay series. The Alaska series begins with "Shadowed," this is the book explaining how the series started with the parents of the main characters in the following books. The second book is "Submerged." The protagonists are now the children of the couple in the first book.

The Chesapeake Bay series starts with "Cold Shot."

Terry Blackstock's Cape Refuge series is also a crime / mystery series - nothing objectionable as far as I can remember.

Just remembered another one: Colleen Coble. I'd start with either the series set in Michigan, the Rock Harbor series: "Without a Trace," or with the Hawaiian series (Aloha Reef Series) "Distant Echo." Coble wrote also stand-alone novels like "Beneath Copper Falls" and "A Haven of Swans." Some of her characters reappear in these stand-alone novels so it may be best to start with the series so you don't inadvertently get info you don't want to know yet. This is also categorized as mystery / romance.

Lisa Scottoline has written several books with a law firm of female lawyers at the center of the story. The first one is titled: "Everywhere Mary went." Some of Scottline's books allude to sexual encounters but are not overly descriptive.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

How about The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency? Mystery, even if not a thriller.

Has she read the Echo Falls mysteries? They're YA, not adult, but they're really good. Real murder, but because the protagonist is young, they're definitely clean.

Would she read cozy mysteries in general? They tend to be cleaner. If you do a search for "clean mysteries" then you'll turn up a number of potential lists. There's also a lot of Christian mysteries, which might or might not suit...

Thanks, Farrar. I was hoping you'd chime in 🙂 

I'll have a look for these in our library and see what's available.

Some of her recent favourites include Harlan Coben's YA series and the Leviathan Series. She also inhaled Small Spaces by Sarah Epstein (an Australian psychological thriller).

I just started looking up The Echo Falls mysteries by Abraham. Unfortunately, our library doesn't have it. It's so hard to know what's worth spending money on when our library keeps coming up blank on so many titles that are suggested to me.

36 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

If you can find the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson, it may fit the bill. No profanity or se$ual inuendo, crime thriller with some clean romance on the side.

Danger in the Shadows, The Negotiator and The Guardian are the first three books in that series. The premise is several orphans banded together after they became adults and took on a family name so they became brothers and sisters. All of them (of course) have interesting jobs like Cops, Firefighter, Forensic Pathologist, US Marshal, etc. This set-up lends itself to some crime stories. There is some Christian content - not sure if that will be okay with you or not.

Unfortuantely, I have to say that later books by Dee Henderson have suffered in quality IMHO so I cannot recommend all her titles but your dd will be the judge of that if she wants to read more. 

Another "clean" author is Dani Pettrey. She has written the Alaska series and the Chesapeake Bay series. The Alaska series begins with "Shadowed," this is the book explaining how the series started with the parents of the main characters in the following books. The second book is "Submerged." The protagonists are now the children of the couple in the first book.

The Chesapeake Bay series starts with "Cold Shot."

Terry Blackstock's Cape Refuge series is also a crime / mystery series - nothing objectionable as far as I can remember.

Just remembered another one: Colleen Coble. I'd start with either the series set in Michigan, the Rock Harbor series: "Without a Trace," or with the Hawaiian series (Aloha Reef Series) "Distant Echo." Coble wrote also stand-alone novels like "Beneath Copper Falls" and "A Haven of Swans." Some of her characters reappear in these stand-alone novels so it may be best to start with the series so you don't inadvertently get info you don't want to know yet. This is also categorized as mystery / romance.

Lisa Scottoline has written several books with a law firm of female lawyers at the center of the story. The first one is titled: "Everywhere Mary went." Some of Scottline's books allude to sexual encounters but are not overly descriptive.

Thank you 🙂 

I just looked up Dee Henderson and our library only has those as ebooks. My daughter has an aversion to ebooks and only reads ye olde paper books. It would open up a lot of options to her if she got past that,  I have to say.

I'll search your other suggestions too. Thanks heaps.

10 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thank you 🙂 

I just looked up Dee Henderson and our library only has those as ebooks. My daughter has an aversion to ebooks and only reads ye olde paper books. It would open up a lot of options to her if she got past that,  I have to say.

I'll search your other suggestions too. Thanks heaps.

I knew you lived in Australia but I was thinking "Kindle" and Overdrive but I do understand wanting to read a  "real" book. If I can think of more, I'll add it. I would hope that some of the classics KathyBC suggested like Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, E.C. Bentley would be available in book format. 

• Like 1

A few more possible tween/teen/YA thriller titles your DD might not have gotten to yet:

series
Alex Rider series (Horowitz)
39 Clues series (Riordan and others)
Missing series (Haddix)
Lewis Barnavelt series (Bellairs)

individual titles
London Eye Mystery (Dowd)
Liar & Spy (Stead)
One of Us is Lying (McManus)
Fake ID (Giles) -- and others by him
works by Lois Duncan -- many have a supernatural element or flavor

clean adult thrillers
Mrs. Pollifax series (Gilman)
The Cat Who... series (Braun) -- mysteries
Mary Higgins Clark books (?) -- NO personal experience, but I see her works called "...clean, little to no cussing... no paranormal" 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

if you are okay with her reading clean romance, the Heartwarming imprint of Harlequin is all clean. No bad language, no sex. Not the worlds most amazing literature but fun. 

I have no problem with her reading clean romance, but at this stage she has no interest. Thriller, suspense, mystery - that's where she's at at the moment.

Here are some of things she doesn't want in a novel:

- it looks too young

- the plot is not complex enough

-  ebooks

- centred around romance

- centred around school dynamics, teen friendships etc

Romance or friendship stuff as a secondary plot may be okay, but she won't pick it up as the primary plot.

Unfortunately, she will definitely judge books by their covers, which is a bit limiting too. 😕

Just now, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I have no problem with her reading clean romance, but at this stage she has no interest. Thriller, suspense, mystery - that's where she's at at the moment.

Here are some of things she doesn't want in a novel:

- it looks too young

- the plot is not complex enough

-  ebooks

- centred around romance

- centred around school dynamics, teen friendships etc

Romance or friendship stuff as a secondary plot may be okay, but she won't pick it up as the primary plot.

Unfortunately, she will definitely judge books by their covers, which is a bit limiting too. 😕

LOL, she and I like the same stuff, except most of what I read isn't really teen appropriate. Not horribly graphic, nor focused on sex, but they do have explicit scenes unfortunately. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I knew you lived in Australia but I was thinking "Kindle" and Overdrive but I do understand wanting to read a  "real" book. If I can think of more, I'll add it. I would hope that some of the classics KathyBC suggested like Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, E.C. Bentley would be available in book format. 

I've noticed that more and more that I search for in our local library is now only available as ebooks or audiobooks.

I'll certainly be searching everything that has been suggested here 🙂 

Just now, Ktgrok said:

LOL, she and I like the same stuff, except most of what I read isn't really teen appropriate. Not horribly graphic, nor focused on sex, but they do have explicit scenes unfortunately. 

Me too 🙂 

Harlan Coben is one of my favourites authors. His YA novels were *perfect* for my daughter. Crime, action, suspense, a bit of quirky humour and quirky characters. I wish there was a neverending supply of them.

4 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

A few more possible tween/teen/YA thriller titles your DD might not have gotten to yet:

series
Alex Rider series (Horowitz)
39 Clues series (Riordan and others)
Missing series (Haddix)

individual titles
London Eye Mystery (Dowd)
Liar & Spy (Stead)
One of Us is Lying (McManus)
Fake ID (Giles) -- and others by him
works by Lois Duncan -- many have a supernatural element or flavor

clean adult thrillers
Mrs. Pollifax series (Gilman)
The Cat Who... series (Braun) -- mysteries
Mary Higgins Clark books (?) -- NO personal experience, but I see her works called "...clean, little to no cussing... no paranormal" 

Thanks, Lori 🙂 

I've been working my way through your suggestions in my thread on the Gen Ed board. Some of your suggestions she's already read, and many many many are just not available here as real books 😕

I think you have some new ones in this list, so I'm off to look them all up too - thank you!

4 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thanks, Lori 🙂 

I've been working my way through your suggestions in my thread on the Gen Ed board. Some of your suggestions she's already read, and many many many are just not available here as real books 😕

I think you have some new ones in this list, so I'm off to look them all up too - thank you!

I'm so sorry DD is so particular (not only genre, but also needing actual book, AND swayed by book cover look 😫 ). That makes it rough. Perhaps investigate, and then invest in shipping and have a box of books sent as a Christmas or birthday gift???

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I'm so sorry DD is so particular (not only genre, but also needing actual book, AND swayed by book cover look 😫 ). That makes it rough. Perhaps investigate, and then invest in shipping and have a box of books sent as a Christmas or birthday gift???

It's a bit limiting 🙄

There are a few books from the Gen Ed thread that are waiting as Chrissy pressies. I just need to keep her hands full for one more week!

14 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've noticed that more and more that I search for in our local library is now only available as ebooks or audiobooks.

I'll certainly be searching everything that has been suggested here 🙂 

Another author came to mind: Anne Perry. She writes mystery novels that are set in Victorian England. Reading her novels have taught me more about Victorian history and customs than any textbook. There is at least one that I would not recommend just yet, I think it was "Twisted Root." If I remember correctly it dealt with sexual crime. There are two main series, the Thomas Pitt series and the William Monk series. Pitt series starts with "The Cater Street Hangman," and the Monk series starts with "The Face of a Stranger."

• Like 2

Is she opposed to the IDEA of ebooks, or has she actually tried reading a few and then decided she didn't like it? I only ask because I was POSITIVE i'd hate ebooks. My husband kept trying to get me to use a kindle and I refused. Until I read a book or two using one, and fell in love. Now I refuse to read anything NOT in ebook format! I love being able to tap a word and get the definition instantly, and being able to flip pages one handed, and having a whole library that fits in my purse. If she hasn't actually tried reading ebooks yet I'd keep pushing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

What I'd really love is to find a way to search adult novels for content. My daughter would love novels like John Grisham, Sue Grafton etc, and it's possible that some may be okay (like Origin by Dan Brown - what a lucky find!) but I can't pre-read everything. She's too fast for me!

Sue Grafton's alphabet series should be okay. I read it eons ago but don't remember it was explicit in any way.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Is she opposed to the IDEA of ebooks, or has she actually tried reading a few and then decided she didn't like it? I only ask because I was POSITIVE i'd hate ebooks. My husband kept trying to get me to use a kindle and I refused. Until I read a book or two using one, and fell in love. Now I refuse to read anything NOT in ebook format! I love being able to tap a word and get the definition instantly, and being able to flip pages one handed, and having a whole library that fits in my purse. If she hasn't actually tried reading ebooks yet I'd keep pushing. 

Great points. I will keep pushing. Thank you 🙂 

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky

24 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Sue Grafton's alphabet series should be okay. I read it eons ago but don't remember it was explicit in any way.

I've got a few here, so I'll probably pre-read one at least to get a feel for them. My memory is that there may be sexual content, but maybe nothing too explicit. My line in the sand is gradually shifting as she gets older and right now, I'm not exactly sure where it is. 

I like Kinsey, so I'm happy to re-read some of them 🙂 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Any idea if you need an actual e-reader  or if an ipad will do?

As an aside, Katie, I did mention to my girls that there's a published author on the homeschool forum I frequent. They were mightily impressed! 

20 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

It did have some adult content.  There was sexual relationships going on, although it was not described graphically.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Any idea if you need an actual e-reader  or if an ipad will do?

As an aside, Katie, I did mention to my girls that there's a published author on the homeschool forum I frequent. They were mightily impressed! 

An iPad will work, just put the kindle app on it. But man, I love my kindle. It's lighter I think, and the screen is a lot easier on the eyes, etc. But for a young girl that may not matter as much as it does for me, lol! 

And I'm pretty sure there are a few of us authors on here! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

If she likes mysteries, I'd recommend:

The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency

Mrs. Pollifax Series

Magret Series

Also, Historical memoirs 

Thank you 🙂

There have been a couple of mentions of Number One Ladies' Detective Agency  - do you recommend any titles in particular? I'm a bit excited because my library actually has some 👍

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

An iPad will work, just put the kindle app on it. But man, I love my kindle. It's lighter I think, and the screen is a lot easier on the eyes, etc. But for a young girl that may not matter as much as it does for me, lol! 

And I'm pretty sure there are a few of us authors on here! 

One thing my daughter really doesn't like, is the thought of library books having been touched by lots of hands. When her OCD is up, she won't touch them at all, and then her options are limited to what we have here in our home collection of books. Ebooks on her ipad or a Kindle would solve this too!

1 minute ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

One thing my daughter really doesn't like, is the thought of library books having been touched by lots of hands. When her OCD is up, she won't touch them at all, and then her options are limited to what we have here in our home collection of books. Ebooks on her ipad or a Kindle would solve this too!

Excellent point, and honestly, I am NOT ocd at all but don't blame her. Ever since I heard someone throwing up in the library bathroom I've been a bit worried about the germs on the books!

Oh, and remind her she can highlight parts of the book she really likes, and amazon will save those so she can look at them later. I do that with favorite quotes, etc. I think you can link it to social media too if she has a facebook account and share quotes from books that way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Excellent point, and honestly, I am NOT ocd at all but don't blame her. Ever since I heard someone throwing up in the library bathroom I've been a bit worried about the germs on the books!

Oh, and remind her she can highlight parts of the book she really likes, and amazon will save those so she can look at them later. I do that with favorite quotes, etc. I think you can link it to social media too if she has a facebook account and share quotes from books that way. 

Are you okay with me telling her that the author I mentioned is sharing this idea? No worries if that's a bit weird, but you know, it's not mum saying it 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katilac said:

Check out the Clean Reads forum on GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5989-clean-reads

Thank you!

I've been googling different things like 'adult thriller clean read' but I wasn't really sure if 'clean read' was the term I was really after. And I hadn't come across a discussion board for it. Thank you 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Are you okay with me telling her that the author I mentioned is sharing this idea? No worries if that's a bit weird, but you know, it's not mum saying it 😉

Totally fine. And you can tell her I hated the idea of ebooks too, as I loved the look/feel of a "real" book. But when you are truly a voracious reader, when you devour books, ebooks are an amazing thing. And now I will never go back. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Danae said:

If she reads a lot an e-ink reader is very worth it. It's much easier on the eyes and she can read at bedtime without the "screen effect" interfering with getting to sleep.

I've never heard of an e-ink reader. I'll go and look it up.

Where would I be without you helpful folks and Dr Google?

36 minutes ago, J-rap said:

It did have some adult content.  There was sexual relationships going on, although it was not described graphically.

It's been a while I read them and I read them as an adult, so as chooky already said, and J-rap concurs, there seems to be some content. Can you get your dd to try a book on Overdrive or other platform and then go back and forth between paper book and digital? This is what I am doing most of the time.

Here is another one: Elizabeth Peters' "Amelia Peabody" series. It's romance but not explicit and there is always a murder mystery / other mystery all wrapped up in Egyptology set in pre-WWI days in Luxor and Cairo.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've never heard of an e-ink reader. I'll go and look it up.

Where would I be without you helpful folks and Dr Google?

E-ink refers to the kindle paperwhite and similar devices (not sure what other ones there are). The screen is very different from a tablet screen, it actually looks like paper. No lighting to interfere with sleep, and no glare in the sunlight. It's pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

No glare in the sunlight is SO amazing! It's much easier to read than even an actual book. 

Goodness. Maybe I need an e-reader. I'm guessing you can change the font size for tired old eyes too 👍

And the kitten can't destroy the books! I had to buy a book just recently from the library that the new kitten chewed on 😕 That was $30 not budgeted for...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

Sue Grafton's alphabet series ... don't remember it was explicit in any way.

Yikes! Yes it is! I made it through the first 4 before deciding too much intensity in the violence and graphicness in the s*x for me -- I'm a total "tame cozy mystery" fan. 😉

If historical settings for mysteries are okay, the Cadfael series by Ellis Peterson is quite good. They are slower-to-unfold mysteries -- not heavy on suspense or thriller.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Goodness. Maybe I need an e-reader. I'm guessing you can change the font size for tired old eyes too 👍

That may be a feature I use occasionally 😄

You absolutely need an ereader for yourself. I need reading glasses (why, yes, in addition to my multifocal contacts) but they always give me a headache after a while. If I didn't read on the screen, I would read much less, which would be sad. Bonus: no library late fees! 

I do prefer physical books for studying or taking extensive notes. I definitely don't have the hang of electronically flipping through a book to preview or find things. 

Pro tip: if you are eyeing certain ebooks on Amazon, put them on a wish list. You'll get an email or phone notification if there's a big price drop! I'm not sure what the criteria is, but I've bought a few $1.99 books this way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thank you 🙂

There have been a couple of mentions of Number One Ladies' Detective Agency  - do you recommend any titles in particular? I'm a bit excited because my library actually has some 👍

The narrative of each book adds to the lives of the reoccurring characters, so you do want to read them in order. Book #1 is called The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Book 1 is a bit rough in writing and in character and has the most, hmmm... *aggressive* of mysteries (still well within the cozy mystery genre) in the entire series, as the author was just getting his feet under him. The writing quickly smooths out in the following books.

I *love* these charming and humorous books, but they may not be exactly what your DD is looking for if she loves thriller/suspense. TN1LDA series is really about the people, places, and the way of life in Botswana. Rather than murders, the mysteries are more along the lines of finding missing persons, and righting wrongs -- and the mysteries (there are usually about 3 per book), are secondary to the character development. I would not hesitate to hand these delightful books to a 12yo -- just letting you know that the series is very different from the titles you've listed as favorites of DD. 😉

• Like 2

What about the Flavia De Luce books by Alan Bradley? Adult fiction, but the main character is a girl about your DD’s age. She’s a budding chemist who stumbles upon a dead body and solves the mystery.  The first novel is Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. There are nine books in all right now, with a tenth coming out next month. 

Edited by mmasc
Typo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

And the kitten can't destroy the books! I had to buy a book just recently from the library that the new kitten chewed on 😕 That was $30 not budgeted for...

That may or may not be how I've fooled myself into not needing reading glasses for so long 🙂

Seriously, you need one. No stigma of "large print" books, no late fees, just amazing. Oh, and instant gratification! As soon as I finish one book in a series I can get the next. I personally do pay for Kindle Unlimited and utilize it quite a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thank you 🙂

You might also try the Sunday Philosophy Club series by the same author. Also cozy mysteries but I find the characters and situations more accessible and interesting than his other books. 

• Like 1

I have basically the same kid, and it is hard.  she inhales books, too, so it's not like I can find one book a week or something like that.  

Agatha Christie, if she likes her, will last months and months.  I think we're about a year in and we still have a few books left.

Most of Le Guin is not very adventure-y but if she can stand scifi at all, some of the Hainish novels are more adventurey than the others.  Rocannon's World, etc.  They are of course clean, virtually all of Le Guin is clean.  

• Like 1

John Sanford is one of my favorites and it's all clean as far as language and sex. There's reference to it, but it's never explicit.  His Prey series and Virgil Flower series should occupy her for a little while. 

If she's into supernatural-ish mysteries, I was reading Dean Koontz at her age and it's 100% clean. 

These aren't high literature, but they are fun reads. 

Edited by Cnew02
  • Like 1