Menu

Recall: Adam Bros. recall red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce and cauliflower (Update: Wegmans recall added Dec 18)

Arcadia

From http://www.adambros.com/press-release-12132018.pdf

“Adam Bros. Farming, Inc. feels a strong commitment to its customers and has worked for years to provide a safe and healthy food supply. Out of an abundance of caution, Adam Bros. Farming, Inc. is initiating this voluntary recall in cooperation with the FDA. The recall involves produce harvested between November 27, 2018 and November 30, 2018, grown in particular fields. It does not involve all of Adam Bros. Farming, Inc.’s products.

As of 12/13/2018 Adam Bros. Farming, Inc. has notified its effected customers of all product that was recalled, asking that the product not be eaten, sold, or transferred. Furthermore, Adam Bros. Farming, Inc. asked that its customers notify the downline chain of custody to insure a full recall.

Cauliflower was distributed to wholesalers in AZ, CA, IL, LA, MD, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA. Tijuana, Mexico, and Canada ; red and green leaf lettuce was distributed to wholesalers in CA, CO, OR, TX, PA, WA, and Canada; red leaf lettuce only was distributed to a wholesaler in MN, and Tijuana, Mexico.

The recall was initiated after it was discovered that sediment from a reservoir near where the produce was grown tested positive for E. coli O157:H7. Filtered and treated water from the reservoir may have come in contact with the produce after it was harvested. None of the filtered, treated water has tested positive for E. coli, all E. coli tests returning negative. This bacteria may cause a diarrheal illness from which most healthy adults can recover completely within a week. Some people can develop a form of kidney failure called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS). HUS is most likely to occur in young children and the elderly. The condition can lead to serious kidney damage and even death.

Consumers who have purchased any of the referenced product are urged to return it to the place of purchase or destroy it. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-805-925- 0339.”

ETA:

If you want to see how the packaging looks like http://www.adambros.com/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is getting ridiculous. It’s starting to seem like feeding our families a diet of Hostess Twinkies is safer than giving them vegetables and salads. 

Thanks for posting this — I hadn’t heard about it until you started this thread.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

This is getting ridiculous. It’s starting to seem like feeding our families a diet of Hostess Twinkies is safer than giving them vegetables and salads.

At least with Twinkies, you get some benefits. Your insides are more preserved due to the ingredients and if you get arrested, you have a ready-made defense.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am wondering how the Cauliflower was sold.  For frozen foods or fresh? 

You can see the packaging photos in the link. The packaging has the company logo. Looks like they are sold as fresh and not frozen.

http://www.adambros.com/

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I made Napa cabbage kimchi and sautéed red cabbage this week for my kids German class Christmas party. Luckily it looks like they are not from the affected farm. (ETA: oops, cabbages are not affected anyway)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Related recall. Product photos and full details in link https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm628583.htm

“Spokane Produce Inc. of Spokane, WA initiates a voluntary recall of sandwiches containing green leaf lettuce and foodservice lettuce filets following notice of a produce industry ingredient recall by Adam Bros. Farming Inc. Sandwich products bearing the Northwest Cuisine Creations and Fresh&Local labels.

All sandwiches bear the “best buy” dating 12/14/18-12/21/18. The product was distributed to grocery markets in Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Oregon. In addition, Green Leaf Filets (no label) in five(5) and ten(10) pound containers are being recalled from foodservice accounts.”

We were in the Smokies this last weekend and on Saturday night, ate out at a restaurant that has a very nice salad bar.  There were signs about what type of lettuce they had to allay fears about romaine and I guess about the red leaf too.  Then on the way home, both my son and I were reading aloud various news stories, funnies, etc to my dh while traveling home and I found the latest food recalls.  There are so many- including Fiesta Corn from Del Monte which isn't even sold in my part of the country.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, whitehawk said:

*sigh* I got rid of the packaging on the cauliflower when I used part of it, but I believe that was the brand.

Into the compost it goes. 😕

What do you use your compost for?  After the last recall of Romaine, I was going to toss it into my compost, but I wondered if that was safe if I ever used any of that compost for gardening. I guess I could have looked it up. 🙂

Thanks for the heads up, Arcadia! 

I am far from the west coast, but I think I will stick with my CSA box greens, or those from farmers I know locally. 

Next year, I may make one of my garden boxes into a tunnel/coldframe so that I can grow greens into the early winter and earlier in the spring. Sunny,  SW exposure. We rarely get days on end of below freezing temps until January. 

2 hours ago, mom@shiloh said:

What do you use your compost for?  After the last recall of Romaine, I was going to toss it into my compost, but I wondered if that was safe if I ever used any of that compost for gardening. I guess I could have looked it up. 🙂

We send it to an industrial composting place, which is much more intense than a backyard pile. (They can take meat, bones, compostable utensils, etc.) Should be fine.

• Like 1

Wegmans cauliflower recall https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm628826.htm

”Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. has issued a voluntary recall of fresh Cauliflower Rice, Veggie Cauliflower Rice Blend and Stir-Fry Mix with Cauliflower, sold in the produce department between 12/7/18 and 12/18/18, because it may be contaminated with Escherichia coli O157:H7 bacteria (E. Coli O157:H7). E. coli O157:H7 causes a diarrheal illness often with bloody stools. Although most healthy adults can recover completely within a week, some people can develop a form of kidney failure called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS). HUS is most likely to occur in young children and the elderly. The condition can lead to serious kidney damage and even death.

The recalled products (with use-by dates of 12/11/18 through 12/22/18) are as follows:

Wegmans Cauliflower Rice, 1 lb. pkg. UPC #25313500000
Wegmans Cauliflower Rice, 8 oz. pkg. UPC #25307200000
Wegmans Stir Fry Blend (with cauliflower), 1 lb. pkg. UPC #25335800000
Wegmans Veggie (cauliflower) Rice Blend (sold by the pound), UPC #253162000000

The recalled products were distributed to 98 Wegmans stores in N.Y., N.J., Pa., Md., Va. and Mass.

No illnesses have been reported to date.

The recall was initiated by Produce Packaging, Inc. based in Cleveland, OH, which supplies these products to Wegmans and notified Wegmans that the product may have been contaminated.

Wegmans has placed automated phone calls to customers who purchased the product using their Shoppers Club card.

Customers who purchased the recalled products from Wegmans between December 7 and December 18 should return them to the service desk for a full refund.  Consumers with questions may contact Wegmans Consumer Affairs department toll free at 1-855-934-3663 Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Eastern time.”