Menu

I'm looking for recommendations for good electric blankets and foot warmers

AngieW in Texas

My 23yo has always had super cold feet and hands. She sleeps with 8-10 blankets every night because she just doesn't retain body heat. Her feet are still freezing. She wears two layers of wool socks year round - in Texas!

I'm looking for recommendations for foot warmers that she could use while sitting at her desk and while in bed. 

Down booties (meant for winter camping).  They are the best!  I have these from MEC

I also like microwavable  bean bags.  Very inexpensive an effective.  I sleep with one at my feet and one against my back.   They keep the bed warm for a long time.  I make my own with scrap cotton fabric filled with wheat kernels (about 2 pounds) from the bulk store.  Rice works too, but rice crumbles over time.  The wheat holds up well.  And smells nice.

• Like 1

We loved electric blankets up to the day I straightened dd's bed and saw black scorch marks all over the other side. I stood there shaking for a minute, then decided we weren't going to sleep covered in electrical wires regardless of how comfy it was. Everything has risks but I couldn't stomach this one after seeing the scorch marks that had been against my young child's skin. This particular blanket was one of several we had recently purchased, maybe a few weeks old. It was not cheap nor from a dubious source. It was expensive, a brand name, and from a department store.  

We do still use heating pads but do not intentionally sleep with them. 

You can buy disposable hand/foot warmers at places like Walmart, Cabela's, Academy, anywhere that sells to hunters. Do shop around for price and wait for a sale. 

Maybe she could make something like a neck warmer work? The kind filled with rice or something that you put in the microwave to heat. That would be less costly and more environmentally friendly in the long run. You can buy them or make with rudimentary sewing skills. She probably would want to make a couple if she likes them, because she could pick the size and shape. 

• Like 1

After moving to a colder climate and a colder house this year, I bought this for our bed. https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-2023952/sunbeam-slumber-rest-premium-electric-mattress-pad.jsp?prdPV=3&userPFM=mattress warmer&diestoreid=1016&selectShip=true

I only use it to heat up the bed for about an hour before I get into it, then turn it off. The heat then lasts me through the night. I don’t even have to wear socks to bed any more! I absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hornblower said:

I have this one https://cozywinters.com/shop/bed-foot-warmer.html   - am sitting here with my feet in it literally right now. I also use it at night. 

That shop has lots of things you might like for your dd. I've bought heated pet beds from that site as well. 

I appreciate this thread.  I've been using bed foot warmers for 10+ years and never had a scorching problem... yikes.  My favorite one died a few years ago and I couldn't find an exact replacement.    The new one isn't as good.  It doesn't get that warm and the connection is right on the pad.  I use mine lengthwise so that it will heat up my legs and hips.  I have to hang 1/2 of it over the edge of the bed because of the clunky connection hits my knees.   It's already wearing away and I've never really been happy.

Where is the connection for this one?  I'm going to buy myself a Christmas gift! 

I would suggest a different strategy.

a sheep-fleece mattress pad will retain heat from her body (so does the viscose foam).  on top - a heavy weight (by oz) DOWN (at least 600 fill power - it traps warm air.) comforter with a single blanket  on top to trap the air.

when I would run a fever - I used to have 11 blankets on me. . . now, I double my year round weight down comforter with a single blanket on top.   I'll wear a set of fleece and socks, and I will actually be warm instead of continuing to shiver.

when it's been really cold - I will use a heating pad to warm up the area where my feet go, but I don't sleep with it like that.

also - some fluffy fleece socks.  they will help keep her feet warm.

6 hours ago, mmasc said:

After moving to a colder climate and a colder house this year, I bought this for our bed. https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-2023952/sunbeam-slumber-rest-premium-electric-mattress-pad.jsp?prdPV=3&userPFM=mattress warmer&diestoreid=1016&selectShip=true

I only use it to heat up the bed for about an hour before I get into it, then turn it off. The heat then lasts me through the night. I don’t even have to wear socks to bed any more! I absolutely love it. 

I used to have an electric blanket but I got rid of it because the electric mattress pad does so much better at warming up the bed.  I do usually run it for about 15 minutes after I get in because even with a warm bed, it's takes me a while to thaw out enough to sleep.  I do try to turn it off before I go to sleep.  But sometimes I drift off too fast.  I did learn to position the controls right by my head so if I forget to turn it off it's easy to do later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I appreciate this thread.  I've been using bed foot warmers for 10+ years and never had a scorching problem... yikes.  My favorite one died a few years ago and I couldn't find an exact replacement.    The new one isn't as good.  It doesn't get that warm and the connection is right on the pad.  I use mine lengthwise so that it will heat up my legs and hips.  I have to hang 1/2 of it over the edge of the bed because of the clunky connection hits my knees.   It's already wearing away and I've never really been happy.

Where is the connection for this one?  I'm going to buy myself a Christmas gift! 

I'd ask them what it's like on the current model since they said they've redesigned it so just to make sure it's the same (but fwiw mine looks exacty like this picture and has the same controller) Mine is a couple years old but my plug in thingy is on one of the corners - on this picture from the website if you imagine sitting and putting your feet in the pocket without crossing and then spreading each of your feet to outer edges, the plug on mine is under the right foot, near the ball of the foot. The control cord & the plug in cord are super long which is convenient in bed but I get tangled in it when I bring it out for under my desk lol 

Electric Foot of the Bed Warmer - Stops Cold Feet!

• Like 1