Menu

What do you do for night-time glare while driving?

J-rap

This is slowly getting worse for me.  For my last pair of glasses, I requested the best anti-glare coating they had, and it was AWFUL.  It actually made it worse.  It made it look like each car that passed me had two headlights made of tall, illuminated poles.  (hard to describe!)  

Randomly, I recently had to wear a very, very old pair of eyeglasses, from my high school days.  These were from the 1970's!  The lenses are glass.  I had very minimal night glare with these.  No anti-glare coating either.  They had a light lens color which I guess was popular during that period.  (Mine were a light brown.)

When I asked my eye doctor about them, she said they don't even make lenses out of glass anymore.  And colored lens aren't "in" anymore, but I'd get them if that's what makes the difference.

Have you found something that works for you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The anti-glare coating on my glasses makes it MUCH easier for me to see at night. Maybe there are different types of issues that cause difficulty with night vision?

I suppose there are different issues involved...  the anti-glare coating made is much worse for me!  So maybe my eyes have a unique problem.  I'm glad it works for you, though!  It can make such a difference in night-driving comfort!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

Well, I had cataract surgery, but that might be a bit drastic for you! The glare, stars, and halos were horrible. Unfortunately, it got worse--not supposed to happen. I gave up driving at night except for out in the country. 

So the cataract surgery helped with the glare?  Well I don't have cataracts, but still, that's good to know!

• Like 1

I wear hunting glasses (yellow or amber) and look at the white line.  The color helps to cut the bright white from the newer headlights.

I read of studies where the newer headlights are actually causing damage to people's eyes.  One government (I wish I could remember which) was looking into banning them because of the temporary blindness and long term damage to people and animals.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Its the newer headlights.  I keep my eyes on the white line until they pass me. No rush hour night driving in the rain for me.

Interesting...  I found myself doing the same thing the other night.  I kept my eyes on the white line while cars passed.  That worked fine, but it would be nice to figure something else out. Yeah, driving during rush hour in the rain is definitely the worst for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I wear hunting glasses (yellow or amber) and look at the white line.  The color helps to cut the bright white from the newer headlights.

I read of studies where the newer headlights are actually causing damage to people's eyes.  One government (I wish I could remember which) was looking into banning them because of the temporary blindness and long term damage to people and animals.

I wonder if that's why my old glasses helped so much...  They have a light brown/amber tint to them.  I might have to resort to that in all of my glasses!

Hadn't heard about the newer headlights being part of the reason for that problem.  Makes sense to me then!

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

I got bifocals.  Seriously it made all the difference. I had given up night driving probably 10 years before because the glare was just so bad.  My vision had declined to the point that I needed bifocals.  I had put it off the last couple of rounds because of how expensive they were and I was still borderline if I actually needed them.  Once I passed that point where it wasn't optional I got them.  The first night out as I was riding with DH I was amazed and how good I could see.  No more rings.   Anyways I now drive at night, I can see fine.  I wish I had done it sooner but the doctors office kept saying I didn't really need them.  DH got his first pair about a month after me and while his vision was never as bad as mine, he was surprised to find his night vision improved with them too.  We both got the progressive (no-line) bifocals.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I got bifocals.  Seriously it made all the difference. I had given up night driving probably 10 years before because the glare was just so bad.  My vision had declined to the point that I needed bifocals.  I had put it off the last couple of rounds because of how expensive they were and I was still borderline if I actually needed them.  Once I passed that point where it wasn't optional I got them.  The first night out as I was riding with DH I was amazed and how good I could see.  No more rings.   Anyways I now drive at night, I can see fine.  I wish I had done it sooner but the doctors office kept saying I didn't really need them.  DH got his first pair about a month after me and while his vision was never as bad as mine, he was surprised to find his night vision improved with them too.  We both got the progressive (no-line) bifocals.

Wow, that's really interesting!  That sounds like me.  I've been borderline needing bifocals for years, and just recently have felt it's probably time.  I wonder if that would make a difference for me?  I guess this is what I should try next!

• Like 1

"This is slowly getting worse for me."   Do you have Cataracts?   If you have not been examined for that  issue, I suggest that you go to an Ophthalmologist.  This is how I know: At the end of June I went to an Optometrist and she told me that I have Cataracts.  For various reasons, I did not get to an Ophthalmologist until last Saturday (4 days ago).  I told my wife and DD that I was with him less than 5 minutes, when he said "surgery".  

Mine is in my Left eye. My Right eye is OK.  I had the blood tests this morning, will get the EKG, and then go back there for some kind of pre-surgical eye examination and then the Ophthalmologist will look everything over and if I am OK, get on the list for surgery.  

I cannot even begin to tell you, how shocked I was Saturday morning, with the vision from my Right eye and then from my Left eye, when he was checking me out.  

I am looking forward to having excellent vision from my Left eye, after I have the Cataract surgery. I suspect that will be in 2 or 3 months, but am not sure when it will be.  

Possibly a Cataract is causing the issue you are describing?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lanny said:

"This is slowly getting worse for me."   Do you have Cataracts?   If you have not been examined for that  issue, I suggest that you go to an Ophthalmologist.  This is how I know: At the end of June I went to an Optometrist and she told me that I have Cataracts.  For various reasons, I did not get to an Ophthalmologist until last Saturday (4 days ago).  I told my wife and DD that I was with him less than 5 minutes, when he said "surgery".  

Mine is in my Left eye. My Right eye is OK.  I had the blood tests this morning, will get the EKG, and then go back there for some kind of pre-surgical eye examination and then the Ophthalmologist will look everything over and if I am OK, get on the list for surgery.  

I cannot even begin to tell you, how shocked I was Saturday morning, with the vision from my Right eye and then from my Left eye, when he was checking me out.  

I am looking forward to having excellent vision from my Left eye, after I have the Cataract surgery. I suspect that will be in 2 or 3 months, but am not sure when it will be.  

Possibly a Cataract is causing the issue you are describing?

Interesting!  I don't think I have cataracts...  I do have annual eye exams.  But I think I'm due for another one so I should set up an appointment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Interesting!  I don't think I have cataracts...  I do have annual eye exams.  But I think I'm due for another one so I should set up an appointment.

I suspect there are many different things that might cause the symptom you are complaining about. You should make an appointment with an Ophthalmologist and he or she can Dialate (spelling?) your eyes and properly inspect them for you.  Cataracts, Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, etc.

• Like 1