Menu

Students currently studying abroad?

swimmermom3

Who currently has a student studying abroad this semester/term?

How is it going for your student?

Sailor Dude is currently in Santiago, Chile. He left here mid-July and will be home mid-December.

The boy still colors outside the lines and making me somewhat crazy, but he is living his dream.

This is my lazy-girl way of reconnecting with those of you that were so instrumental in helping shape the Dude's academic path.? ( I miss our old emoticons!)

• Like 12

None of mine are abroad now, but I thought I'd say hi!!  :biggrin:

One dd20 spent a summer in Barcelona - a year and a half ago now!  Seems like yesterday!  She came back speaking Catalan in addition to Spanish, and is now minoring in it.

Other dd20 is currently on coop - she'll be back at school spring semester, but is hoping to do an international coop in Germany after that.  I was just helping her translate her resume into German yesterday. :smile:

How's Sailor Dude liking Chile?  I've been reading a lot of South American novels lately and have been kind of bummed I've never traveled farther south than Mexico.

You should stick around!  No need to leave just 'cause you're no longer homeschooling!  My youngest is attending CC full time now and will transfer to university in the fall, but I've still found niches here where it's not just about curriculum or college...  Lots of people with kids grown over in the Book-a-Week thread (been reading more to keep my brain active).  I also lurk in the Politics 'club', it helps keep me sane.

• Like 3

Hi, Lisa! Only one in our family currently studying abroad is ds who is in CA! (Ha! May as well be a different country!) Dd just met with their abroad office. She is planning this summer and then next spring abroad. She can't wait.

Has SD decided on his post-UG path? Dd has changed majors umpteen times but she is now majoring in exactly what she wanted to do before she went to college but was too afraid to bc she thought she needed to major in something directly linked to getting a job. Now she is pursuing what she loves. No surprises here.

• Like 2

My dd is studying in the Netherlands. She is home now for fall break after completing her first quad. She is doing well and really likes it. She is meeting people from all over the world. She also enjoys the independence of the bike culture and living on her own but in a student building. 

• Like 3

I love that so many students are doing study abroad semesters these days!  Chile would be a super interesting place to be, I think.

I don't have any kids currently studying abroad for their undergraduate, although my dd who did it as an undergraduate (in French-speaking Senegal) is now doing her graduate schooling in France.  She just started this semester.  She'll be home for Christmas and I can't wait to hear more about everything!

OP, if you're ever looking for an interesting book that gets into some of the past politics of Chile, I found this book fascinating:

https://www.amazon.com/Missing-Execution-Charles-Thomas-Hauser/dp/0671664328

• Like 4

dd studied in France this summer (Montpellier), she had a great time and said that wine is indeed cheaper than water there. 

She hit up lots of museums and historical sites, and some tourist-y stuff like the beach and pirate-themed restaurants. Other than a weekend in Parish, she stayed in MP because there was so much to do, and she wanted to immerse herself in one place. 

The hardest part was no air conditioning (it was a very hot summer). She said that France doesn't seem to believe in air conditioning, water, or public restrooms ?

She definitely plans to go back. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, katilac said:

She said that France doesn't seem to believe in air conditioning, water, or public restrooms 

When I was there (France) 19ish years ago, the restrooms were pay-before-you-go. The portapotties on the streets were pay toilets, too. (One ex-pat warned us not to try to save coins by putting someone else in it when we were leaving because it did some sort of full hose down in between usings.) I have a funny story about trying to exchange our paper money for the coins the portapotties took. DH went around a street market asking for "petit franc." (His way of asking if they'd make change.)

I admit I was glad France was equal opportunity about pay toilets. In Spain, only the women had to pay, it seemed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 7:26 PM, Kareni said:

How wonderful to hear That Sailor Dude is living his dream, Lisa!  My daughter definitely enjoyed her study abroad time in New Zealand.

Best wishes to you and yours ~

Regards,
Kareni

Kareni, I definitely need to catch up with you, in person, and find out what you and your dd are doing now!

• Like 1

Hopefully next summer, somewhere

On 10/26/2018 at 9:50 PM, RootAnn said:

When I was there (France) 19ish years ago, the restrooms were pay-before-you-go. The portapotties on the streets were pay toilets, too. (One ex-pat warned us not to try to save coins by putting someone else in it when we were leaving because it did some sort of full hose down in between usings.) 

still exactly the same at least in Paris though!

My ds is abroad in Massachusetts. ? 

He is doing well and is not homesick.  He calls every day and plays video games with his brother on Saturdays, so he is just not as far away as he would have been in a previous generation.  He is finding that homeschooling has been a serious plus.  He can manage his time better than most of his peers, and he knows how to study and learn independently.  He has made some really great friends and is finally surrounded by peers. Overall, a really great win, and a serious relief for this mama who was not sure if he could actually handle it.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 5