Menu

LDS General Conference Fall 2018

maize

35 minutes ago, moonflower said:

I just gotta say that for some reason I, a distinctly non-religious person, really enjoy reading this thread on the years when you guys post one.  There are some things about religion that I think are super valuable, and this thread almost always makes me wistful about it.

Aw, I'm glad you enjoy the threads moonflower. Feel free to join in anytime.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Our stake is broadcasting at the stake center only and serving cookies afterwards but I didn’t feel like changing out of my yoga pants or leaving the couch. I just don’t have the energy to “people” today.

I'm sitting on the couch watching from my own house.  It's all good ?

• Like 1

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

I do it a few times a year. It is interesting. The youth were asked to do it for only a week. 

I noticed that our fast was longer.

Interestingly, I've been thinking about doing one myself because, um, political things have been too much recently. So I'll be doing it.

• Like 2

"To Bring the World His Truth" is one of my favorite songs. The choir is doing a nice job.

One of my dreams is to some day see member choirs from other parts of the world at General Conference. Either fly them over here or have them broadcast from wherever they are. Let them sing in their native languages.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Butter said:

I noticed that our fast was longer.

Interestingly, I've been thinking about doing one myself because, um, political things have been too much recently. So I'll be doing it.

I do plan to do it. Maybe if will find I have more time ?

as far as online stuff goes I mostly just hang out here.

• Like 1

I'm already reading the Book of Mormon currently.  I've been doing one chapter a day and am up to 2 Nephi 5.  I figured up that based on the number of days left in the year and the number of chapters I have left, I need to increase my reading to an average of 2 1/4 chapters a day.  Sad to say that'll be easy given the time freed up by not going on Facebook or Twitter.  I spend *far* too much time on those and I know it.

I started reading the Illustrated Book of Mormon to my younger two boys a couple weeks ago.  It's 8 volumes.  We're a bit more than halfway through the first volume.  We decided we'll read a little more each night and try to finish that by the end of the year, too.

• Like 3

I love Conference!!  

Our RS started an 8 week B of M read last Sunday - they gave us a cute chart that tracks out the reading at 11 pages a day, and will finish before Christmas...  I didn't start yet, but I guess I will get it going tomorrow.

I hadn't thought of WTM as social media.  But I guess you are right. Dang it!!  But I also really appreciated the "and other media" addition to the fast.  I have spent way too much time watching netflix to help me sleep, as my dh is deployed and I'm not sleeping well, then I keep watching it as I don't have that much to do... I think I will focus on reading (etc)  rather than movies over the next 10 days. That change will be good for me.

So excited for 2 hour church!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Butter—is the bishop’s son in the MTC ward choir? On a closeup it looked like him. Or he has a doppelgänger out there...

So I was just telling Jamie and Ani that you recognized him and they're like, "He's not the bishop's kid anymore..." I totally forgot lol  The bishop was released a couple weeks ago, right at the 5 year point since we became a ward.  Now we have Bishop Fisher!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maize said:

I love the characterization of Eve's actions leading to the "fall" as wise and courageous.

well, if she hadn't, we'd still be waiting for them to eat it.

2 hours ago, maize said:

Oh no! A ten day social media fast...that would have to include The Hive wouldn't it?

That's a pretty tough sacrifice...

he did say to make it prayerful as to what counts.

2 hours ago, maize said:

"To Bring the World His Truth" is one of my favorite songs. The choir is doing a nice job.

One of my dreams is to some day see member choirs from other parts of the world at General Conference. Either fly them over here or have them broadcast from wherever they are. Let them sing in their native languages.

as long as they don't do a voice over in english so you get two languages at the same time.  they tried doing that with some conference talks/prayers, it gave me a headache and I had to turn off the sound.  subtittles are fine.

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

as long as they don't do a voice over in english so you get two languages at the same time.  they tried doing that with some conference talks/prayers, it gave me a headache and I had to turn off the sound.  subtittles are fine.

They don't do voiceovers of songs sung in English into the other languages that conference is translated into.

Edited by maize

12 hours ago, maize said:

"Small actions of unkindness can have devastating consequences."

conversely - small actions of kindness can have lasting positive effects that we never know about.

11 hours ago, Butter said:

I'm already reading the Book of Mormon currently.  I've been doing one chapter a day and am up to 2 Nephi 5.  I figured up that based on the number of days left in the year and the number of chapters I have left, I need to increase my reading to an average of 2 1/4 chapters a day.  Sad to say that'll be easy given the time freed up by not going on Facebook or Twitter.  I spend *far* too much time on those and I know it.

I started reading the Illustrated Book of Mormon to my younger two boys a couple weeks ago.  It's 8 volumes.  We're a bit more than halfway through the first volume.  We decided we'll read a little more each night and try to finish that by the end of the year, too.

I feel like I'm always reading the BoM.  just started it again with the family.

great to read with the younger kids.  when 1dd was a young preschooler, I was trying to get myself into a scripture study/reading program, so I read out loud - while it was more for me, she got it too.   she hadn't even turned three when one day we were doing that and she went and got her BoM reader (the one that more for very new readers) and would look at the pictures.  I think it's one of the more successful things I've done as a parent in how that kid turned out (she's a grow up now)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amiesmom said:

If you haven't seen it already, they updated the app with the new Come Follow Me curriculum for home and Sunday School and primary. It looks really good, I'm excited to start using it. 

The home and individuals one looks absolutely amazing.

• Like 2

“Jump in and swim towards those in need without worrying if you should do the backstroke or the (???).”

”Because you were hurt once, all of us have been hurting for years...”

”Surely each of us could list....wounds that corrode the soul...Christ rushes to our aid with healing in his wings. Please don’t give precious space anymore (to old hurts).”

I can’t wait to see the transcript of this talk because there were so many good things in it (and I am a horrible note taker in getting down words exactly).

• Like 2

Elder Bowen’s talk right now....His talk and a number of others lately have all been referencing the specific phrase “gathering scattered Israel”. Obviously, it’s a core doctrinal point, but the specificity of that phrase along with “the Lord hastening his work” and references to the second coming seem to point to a fundamental shift... (Obviously, it’s not a doomsday message, and highlights the reality that someday we will all meet God and should be prepared spiritually to do so...but it’s a noticeable shift.) 

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Elder Bowen’s talk right now....His talk and a number of others lately have all been referencing the specific phrase “gathering scattered Israel”. Obviously, it’s a core doctrinal point, but the specificity of that phrase along with “the Lord hastening his work” and references to the second coming seem to point to a fundamental shift... (Obviously, it’s not a doomsday message, and highlights the reality that someday we will all meet God and should be prepared spiritually to do so...but it’s a noticeable shift.) 

Yes!  I jokingly set one of the Conference Candy words for this session as anything related to the Second Coming... and they've gotten quite a bit of candy because of it.  They've gotten more from that than the other word I picked (scriptures).  It really does seem to be more common.  We had Stake Conference two weeks ago and Elder Maynes came (he's a Seventy) and he started the adult session by saying how the prophet is keeping up a pace to usher in the second coming.  I don't remember hearing references to gathering Israel, hastening the work, etc. quite so often.

• Like 3

“Our challenges can become our greatest teachers.” “All of us will be wounded in the battle of life...but we are meant to survive spiritually”

Lots of scriptural references—but I love the Adam and Eve/Garden of Eden one about how the bitter and the sweet and the one about rain falling on the just and unjust.

”Come ye disconsolate...to the mercy seat...earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal”.

How can painful wounds be for our good? (Reference to Savior’s healing power and how is grace is sufficient...)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

“Our challenges can become our greatest teachers.” “All of us will be wounded in the battle of life...but we are meant to survive spiritually”

Lots of scriptural references—but I love the Adam and Eve/Garden of Eden one about how the bitter and the sweet and the one about rain falling on the just and unjust.

”Come ye disconsolate...to the mercy seat...earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal”.

How can painful wounds be for our good? (Reference to Savior’s healing power and how is grace is sufficient...)

I'm loving this talk so much. I rarely ever listen whe it’s actually on because it's so difficult but my dh took some of the kids out today so I am. I feel very blessed to hear this now.

Edited by felicity
  • Like 4

I'm really liking this song the Tabernacle Choir is singing. I've never heard it but it is beautiful. 

I wish they posted the transcripts immediately. I'm horrible with quotes but there have been some great ones.

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 2

President Nelson: “course correction for name of the church—not a name change, not rebranding, not inconsequential”

“When we use nicknames for the church like “Mormon church”, “LDS” or “latterday Saints” we are removing the name of Christ. He is offended by the nicknames—it’s a glaring omission of the Lord’s name.”

“When we take the sacrament we promise to take upon us His name....When we remove his name from our church we are removing him as the central focus of our lives”

• Like 5

The other theme I’m hearing a lot: “Keep on the covenant path.” “Covenant” is on one of our keyword candy bowls and I’m sure my kids are going into diabetic comas after this. ?

I’m also participating in the social media fast. And also the BOM reading. It’s going to be rough, I think. I fall asleep each time I sit down to read a large amount. My family has been participating in a slow and deep reading and I’m enjoying that.  I guess I’ll have to do both. 

We decided to do a paper machè project this morning while we watched. Major win!!

75CB22B3-FF32-438F-9218-AEB6B657EB27.jpeg

• Like 3

Also, the letter shared at sabbath.lds.org says that the sharing time outline will be discontinued and I’m bummed about that. YW will no longer meet together, and neither will the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthood. 

And, changes WRT ward mission leaders as well as temple and family history work. Those jobs will be under direction of the EQ presidency.  

I still feel like we need some slightly shortened way to refer to ourselves. "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" while entirely accurate is awfully unwieldy. It is really too bad that Christian isn't specific enough in many cases, as that seems to meet the requirement of keeping Jesus Christ in our references to the Church and its members 

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Elder Holland’s talk is hitting it out of the ballpark!

I really love him.  

50 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I started hearing hints of that - the train is gathering speed (among others)  - in the 90's.  but the urgency has certainly increased.

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

more than that though, the depth, understanding, and capacity it develops . . .  . . I wondered what was with me when I realized I would do some of my crappiest experiences again if I had to do so, and I wouldn't give them up if I had to give up what I learned.

24 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We really loved that song also—hope it will make it into the hymnal (and more of that style) and that they kick out some of the creepy carousel sounding hymns... 

what is a carousel sounding hymn?  

I can think of some I'd love to see out (the militant 'christian army" late 19th century hymns) and some I'd love to see in (faith in every footstep - written for the sesquicentennial of the mormon migration)

20 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

I'm appreciating Pres. Nelson's explanation of the new emphasis on using the name of the church. I haven't really understood before now. 

He's being extremely proactive in this.  It was something suggested before (10  yrs?  15 yrs?) - but President Nelson is making changes to how the church uses the terms that will be more likely to allow it to stick.

15 minutes ago, blondeviolin said:

The other theme I’m hearing a lot: “Keep on the covenant path.” “Covenant” is on one of our keyword candy bowls and I’m sure my kids are going into diabetic comas after this. ?

I’m also participating in the social media fast. And also the BOM reading. It’s going to be rough, I think. I fall asleep each time I sit down to read a large amount. My family has been participating in a slow and deep reading and I’m enjoying that.  I guess I’ll have to do both. 

We decided to do a paper machè project this morning while we watched. Major win!!

75CB22B3-FF32-438F-9218-AEB6B657EB27.jpeg

thanks for posting the whole things.

I'm going to do the social media fast.  and increase how much I read from the Book of Mormon every day.

currently -- my temple is closed for a new hvac . . . . it opens the day after thanksgiving.  we were going to try to go to another one (three - four hours away), but that requires overnight and our schedules just don't permit it .  My favorite time is weekday morning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

currently -- my temple is closed for a new hvac . . . . it opens the day after thanksgiving.  we were going to try to go to another one (three - four hours away), but that requires overnight and our schedules just don't permit it .  My favorite time is weekday morning.

Yep. Our temple finishes up its yearly cleaning closing this week. I am thinking I may have to start attending the 5:30am Wed morning session to increase my attendance. Which means getting up at 4:00 and dropping my morning walk to fit it in.  But, “sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.”

Edited by blondeviolin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

more than that though, the depth, understanding, and capacity it develops . . .  . . I wondered what was with me when I realized I would do some of my crappiest experiences again if I had to do so, and I wouldn't give them up if I had to give up what I learned.

Honestly, if I could give up my current trial of my dh leaving the church and everything that's gone with it, I would; in large part because of the effect on our kids. Even with the knowledge I've gained from it.

But...since I can't change everything that's happened in the last 15 years, I accept it and move on, trying to be grateful for my increased testimony and knowledge. Most of the time I succeed. ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, maize said:

I still feel like we need some slightly shortened way to refer to ourselves. "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" while entirely accurate is awfully unwieldy. It is really too bad that Christian isn't specific enough in many cases, as that seems to meet the requirement of keeping Jesus Christ in our references to the Church and its members 

This is my only complaint. I feel the same way about “ministering.” The concept is great - loving how the Savior does. BUT, “who is your ministering brother? Your ministering sister?” Awkward. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maize said:

Agreed. Maybe Latter-day Christians? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I can think of some I'd love to see out (the militant 'christian army" late 19th century hymns) and some I'd love to see in (faith in every footstep - written for the sesquicentennial of the mormon migration)

Oh no, I love hymns that sound like marches. But then I also went and joined the actual military so...

"...one in hope and doctrine, one in charity. Onward Christian soldiers..."

3 minutes ago, felicity said:

Honestly, if I could give up my current trial of my dh leaving the church and everything that's gone with it, I would; in large part because of the effect on our kids. Even with the knowledge I've gained from it.

But...since I can't change everything that's happened in the last 15 years, I accept it and move on, trying to be grateful for my increased testimony and knowledge. Most of the time I succeed. ?

I was shocked I got to that point.  (and I'm not even old. lol.)  I'm not going to go into detail of mine - because crappy experiences are not a competition.  (and as was  made clear - everyone gets them.  my observation is: some are early, some are late, some are short and excruciatingly intense, some drag on for years, some are public, some are private, some are socially acceptable and people will give sympathy, some are seen as consequences for the person's own actions and people can be very judgmental . . .. . and many more variations.)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.   I don't mean to minimize painful experiences, nevertheless the too-oft quoted quip is true - Jesus Christ never said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it. 

I think of the brother who was in the willie/martin handcart company, as an old man standing up in a sunday school class where those companies were being criticized for leaving so late in the season.  He censured them for speaking of things they didn't understand, and told them to be quiet.  he shared what he lost and suffered.  he testified of the miracles, and how the members of those companies came to know God in their extremity.   

in the end - what matters is coming to know God. . . . .

I have spoken with other friends who've also gone through  (those good to have HAD) difficult experiences - the commonality is, they too, came to know God in their extremity.  there were things I hoped (not even the size of a mustard seed) when I joined the church, that developed to faith . . now, I KNOW.  I won't give that knowledge back to never have experienced what got me here.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maize said:

Oh no, I love hymns that sound like marches. But then I also went and joined the actual military so...

"...one in hope and doctrine, one in charity. Onward Christian soldiers..."

there's a whole slew of them.

But there are some I love.   be still my soul is set to finlandia by Sibelius, so it always makes me smile when it comes on the classical music station.

but then, my favorite christmas hymn/song is o come o come emmanual.  which is pretty old.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I was shocked I got to that point.  (and I'm not even old. lol.)  I'm not going to go into detail of mine - because crappy experiences are not a competition.  (and as was  made clear - everyone gets them.  my observation is: some are early, some are late, some are short and excruciatingly intense, some drag on for years, some are public, some are private, some are socially acceptable and people will give sympathy, some are seen as consequences for the person's own actions and people can be very judgmental . . .. . and many more variations.)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.   I don't mean to minimize painful experiences, nevertheless the too-oft quoted quip is true - Jesus Christ never said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it. 

I think of the brother who was in the willie/martin handcart company, as an old man standing up in a sunday school class where those companies were being criticized for leaving so late in the season.  He censured them for speaking of things they didn't understand, and told them to be quiet.  he shared what he lost and suffered.  he testified of the miracles, and how the members of those companies came to know God in their extremity.   

in the end - what matters is coming to know God. . . . .

I have spoken with other friends who've also gone through  (those good to have HAD) difficult experiences - the commonality is, they too, came to know God in their extremity.  there were things I hoped (not even the size of a mustard seed) when I joined the church, that developed to faith . . now, I KNOW.  I won't give that knowledge back to never have experienced what got me here.  

My joke when I taught Sunday School (and I did for years and years) was that if I could've learned the same lessons sitting on the couch, eating bon bons, I'd definitely choose that. But since I couldn't, I'll take the trials. Spoken light heartedly and without any competition, of course. But I do appreciate the talk and all of the comfort given, to bring everything back to Conference. I can't wait to hear the last session, no matter when I can listen. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, blondeviolin said:

Yep. Our temple finishes up its yearly cleaning closing this week. I am thinking I may have to start attending the 5:30am Wed morning session to increase my attendance. Which means getting up at 4:00 and dropping my morning walk to fit it in.  But, “sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.”

there is a spirit that comes home with you from the temple, and blesses your family.

I had one who was having some serious challenges.  the spirit told me to attend the temple regularly.  um  . . but, but, dudeling . . . "if this child needed to go to a dr appointment every single week to save their life, you would make it happen." . .  . ok.

and yes - regular temple attendance brings forth the blessings of heaven.

28 minutes ago, blondeviolin said:

This is my only complaint. I feel the same way about “ministering.” The concept is great - loving how the Savior does. BUT, “who is your ministering brother? Your ministering sister?” Awkward. 

yeah.

awkward was telling my brand new rs pres that I needed a new "ministering sister" becasue I was having debilitating health problems and I would never ever call mine for so much as a lift to a dr appointment if dh couldn't take me. (let alone anything else)   . . . . my ministering sister . . . was her own sister-in-law. 

awkward . . .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

there's a whole slew of them.

But there are some I love.   be still my soul is set to finlandia by Sibelius, so it always makes me smile when it comes on the classical music station.

but then, my favorite christmas hymn/song is o come o come emmanual.  which is pretty old.

I love both of those.

6 minutes ago, felicity said:

My joke when I taught Sunday School (and I did for years and years) was that if I could've learned the same lessons sitting on the couch, eating bon bons, I'd definitely choose that. But since I couldn't, I'll take the trials. Spoken light heartedly and without any competition, of course. But I do appreciate the talk and all of the comfort given, to bring everything back to Conference. I can't wait to hear the last session, no matter when I can listen. 

but sometimes it's NICE to sit on the beach!!!!   eating bon bons sounds every better.   ?

there were days I'd ask Heavenly Father if I couldn't just have a break?  please?    . . . .. . grrrr. fine.

eta: I recall one time saying . . Ok, we've got ___ now, things can get better right?  RIGHT??? . . . and the next shoe drops.  sigh.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2