Menu

LDS General Conference Fall 2018

maize

"As members of the Church we don't have to look back far in our history to reflect on times when we were refugees, violently driven from homes and farms over and over again."

I'm watching the between session programming. I have really appreciated the church's emphasis on welcoming and aiding refugees in recent years.

• Like 2

Just now, maize said:

"As members of the Church we don't have to look back far in our history to reflect on times when we were refugees, violently driven from homes and farms over and over again."

I'm watching the between session programming. I have really appreciated the church's emphasis on welcoming and aiding refugees in recent years.

Elder Uchtdorf was a refugee when his family were forced to leave Czechoslovakia when he was six.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

currently -- my temple is closed for a new hvac . . . . it opens the day after thanksgiving.  we were going to try to go to another one (renovations hours away), but that requires overnight and our schedules just don't permit it .  My favorite time is weekday morning.

Our temple is also currently closed for extra renovations.  It'll open the second week of November I think.  He did say something about if you don't live near a temple to study more about the temple.  I was thinking since I definitely can't go to the temple for another month, I might do that.  I figure even those of us that regularly go could do to learn more.

42 minutes ago, blondeviolin said:

This is my only complaint. I feel the same way about “ministering.” The concept is great - loving how the Savior does. BUT, “who is your ministering brother? Your ministering sister?” Awkward. 

I found it really awkward at first, but now it doesn't seem much different than home teacher or visiting teacher.  I've had to explain what home teacher or visiting teacher means to many people.  I wonder if ministering brother or sister would actually make more sense to some evangelical types.

41 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

Agreed. Maybe Latter-day Christians? 

That still leaves out Jesus Christ's name and including His name seems to be the whole point.  Guess we just have to get used to the whole mouthful of our name.

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

awkward was telling my brand new rs pres that I needed a new "ministering sister" becasue I was having debilitating health problems and I would never ever call mine for so much as a lift to a dr appointment if dh couldn't take me. (let alone anything else)   . . . . my ministering sister . . . was her own sister-in-law. 

awkward . . .

Oh, man.  That would definitely be awkward!

• Like 1

It’s been years since I’ve lived near a temple.  I think our assigned temple is in the UK.  Were other suggestions given for people who don’t live near a temple or can’t afford to go often, or who have other non-negotiable things that keep them from going? 

4 minutes ago, Butter said:

That still leaves out Jesus Christ's name and including His name seems to be the whole point.  Guess we just have to get used to the whole mouthful of our name.

Christian does include Christ's name though. It's even the term used to translate the Nephite term--it's what Mormon called himself ?

3 minutes ago, Amira said:

It’s been years since I’ve lived near a temple.  I think our assigned temple is in the UK.  Were other suggestions given for people who don’t live near a temple or can’t afford to go often, or who have other non-negotiable things that keep them from going? 

Studying about the temple.

I also think that Family History would be closely related.

• Like 2

Actually, I felt like several of these challenges were Utah- or US-based.  Dropping social media for me would be very isolating (although not as bad as our last country).  I also interact differently online, especially in settings that I can’t access in real life, including ones that are more available in the US.  

Edited by Amira
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amira said:

He said to study about the temple and learn all you can about it.

1 minute ago, maize said:

Christian does include Christ's name though. It's even the term used to translate the Nephite term--it's what Mormon called himself ?

It does, but it doesn't seem to anymore.  And Latter-day Christians would seriously give traditional Christians even more ammo against us I think.  President Nelson said to say we're members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so I'm going with it, being a long mouthful and all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amira said:

Actually, I felt like a several of these challenges were Utah- or US-based.  Dropping social media for me would be very isolating (although not as bad as our last country).  I also interact differently online, especially in settings that I can’t access in real life, including ones that are more available in the US.  

A social media fast is very US-based.  I'm sure there are places where they don't even know what social media is or have never used it.  It's not dropping it forever, though.  Just 10 days and I feel like it's for *us.*  He talked about writing down your impressions and thoughts and feelings as you go along and how you are changed from being off social media.  Social media can be good, but more often it is bad if just because we are seeing the curated version of our friends lives and thinking we are just not as cool as they are.  I have a friend who said she won't be doing the 10-day fast because she did the 7-day along with the youth back in June.  She found that there is a lot of good on social media and she unfriended and unfollowed and recentered herself through that fast so that now it's an uplifting thing for her rather than something that pulls her down.  I really think she found the exact reason for it.  Particularly because you are in a rather unique situation, provided you already have a good balance for yourself where social media is concerned, a social media fast could be negative for you due to the isolation rather than positive due to the recentering and balancing my friend found.  As for me, I'll be doing it because I need it and I know I need it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Amira said:

Actually, I felt like several of these challenges were Utah- or US-based.  Dropping social media for me would be very isolating (although not as bad as our last country).  I also interact differently online, especially in settings that I can’t access in real life, including ones that are more available in the US.  

There's some truth to that, I would feel comfortable adapting in whatever way seems best to you. He did say to pray about what exactly to give up or not.

My primary use of Facebook, for example, is to interact with my parents and siblings in a private family group. That's a positive thing and not a time waster; my family are scattered across states and even continents.

These forums, though, while a blessing--do also take more of my time than necessary and trading that time for other priorities for ten days could be positive.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Sister Aburtos’s video clip in between sessions (I was watching on BYU tv via Roku) was amazing—growing up in the political instability in Nicaragua, the difficulties in her first marriage, her conversion, etc.).... It’s worth tracking down!

She came to visit our area with sister Joy D. Jones this summer and shared her story of her call. She is an amazing lady. 

And my girls were excited to see Sister Jones talk since she visited our primary and they met her. ?

• Like 2

Very excited about the new temples! Argentina, Nigeria, Mexico, Cape Verde, Brazil, Cambodia, Guam...hope I got those right I was listening while driving and am going by memory. Was there one in the Philippines? Washington County Utah I remember. Oh, Puerto Rico! I know I'm missing a couple.

New Zealand. 

Just one more? It was twelve I think?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maize said:

Very excited about the new temples! Argentina, Nigeria, Mexico, Cape Verde, Brazil, Cambodia, Guam...hope I got those right I was listening while driving and am going by memory. Was there one in the Philippines? Washington County Utah I remember. Oh, Puerto Rico! I know I'm missing a couple.

New Zealand. 

Yuba City, CA 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Amira said:

studying about the temple, family history, indexing.

one thing that has always been suggested for those who are far away from the temple is be worthy to have a temple recommend, and always carry it with you.

4 hours ago, Amira said:

4 hours ago, Butter said:

A social media fast is very US-based.

there are parts of asia that could make teens in the US look like social media novices.

pretty sure he did say something about with the guidance of the spirit. 

1 hour ago, maize said:

New Zealand. 

Davao Philippines.   fil was there during wwii. sil is here, and said she'd like to go to that one.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Yuba City, CA 

Which is weird because Yuba City is about 40 miles from Sacramento, where there is an existing temple.  And the roads are dangerous.  That stretch of highway 99 is often regarded as the most dangerous in the state, if not the country!  I wonder if it will be one of the small temples.  Sacramento seems to be one of the medium size ones.  I can't wait for Oakland to re-open.  I will never complain about how difficult it is to find the time/ get there again.  Just kidding.  I won't complain for the first 6 months, I promise.  :)

Edited by Amber in SJ
I remembered I had more to say
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

Which is weird because Yuba City is about 40 miles from Sacramento, where there is an existing temple.  And the roads are dangerous.  That stretch of highway 99 is often regarded as the most dangerous in the state, if not the country!  I wonder if it will be one of the small temples.  Sacramento seems to be one of the medium size ones.  I can't wait for Oakland to re-open.  I will never complain about how difficult it is to find the time/ get there again.  Just kidding.  I won't complain for the first 6 months, I promise.  :)

I would have expected Redding over Yuba City, just because it’s further from a temple.

• Like 1