Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- October Edition

Soror

Hello ladies!

All are welcome! 

This thread is for anything related to getting healthier in mind, body, and spirit.

Hmm, any ideas for a new title that is reflective of encompassing all aspects of health, not just exercise??? 

Here's hoping for a great month for everyone.

As I've mentioned before I had a stressful summer and come to think of it a stressful spring too! My energy to focus on health had been seriously curtailed trying to get settled into a new normal but as of the end of September, it seems that I'm starting to get back in my groove and have more time to devote towards healthy living. I did put on a few pounds- started to work on taking them off, got distracted, rinse and repeat. I've been hovering at the top of the range I'd like to be at so my focus this month is to be mindful of portion sizes and nutrient density to head back to the lower end of that range. Anybody that has been around knows that fall is a rough time for me due to allergies, I've gained weight every fall since being diagnosed with thyroid disease, it will be a monumental victory to make it through this fall without gaining (not just a couple pound fluctuation but 10#+). By December I feel better and have more energy so I'm hoping to keep my health a focus the next 2 months and break this cycle. Dh did switch out our air filters and that has made a difference and my thyroid numbers have been optimal and that's a huge help. Already I feel so much better this fall, it is a world of difference and I am so thankful. 

This month's goals: Strength training 2-3 x a week; 5+ servings daily fruit & veggies

• Like 3

We are on break this week, yipee! I've got so many things I'd like to do I doubt I get half of it done!!!

My allergies are flaring up now, dust again, I was moving furniture and ds had the bright idea to blow the dust right towards my face. Sigh. 

No exercise planned today other than a walk. 

I'm going to be doing some meal planning and recipe hunting. Combining being busy and trying to save grocery money and our food has not been as healthy. Not SAD or horrible but not what I'd call great. My fruit and veggie intake has been on the low end when before I'd get 5 servings on a low day, I'll have to make a conscious effort to get this up again.

• Like 2

Last month I experimented with only 3 days of aqua fitness instead of the usual 4 or 5 I normally do. I was so exhausted! I did get over the exhausted part but I also put on a couple of pounds so as of last week, I'm back to the usual 4 - 5. Guess what? I put on another pound. Arrrrrrgggggghhhh!

I'm a vegan and I'm normally a very healthy eater so I think I'm going to cut back on my fruit intake just to see if the sugar from that is causing weight gain. I don't know where else to look. Peanut butter could be a culprit but I really don't eat it very often. It's only a back up in case I feel low on protein for the day. Hmmmm, I may have to start a food diary to track down this weight gain. My underwear is getting tight and we can't have that. ?

So that's me: adding more exercise and cutting back on sugar hoping to lose a few pounds.

• Like 2

I've been really busy with starting back at grad school, but have been able to get in some exercise as I go - mainly walking and biking. I suddenly started having some serious allergy asthma attacks though, and I'm trying to bounce back from this. I don't know if is food or airborne or a combination. It's sure taken the wind out of my sails (and lungs, I guess). Hopefully this will pass soon.

• Like 3

( Sorry about the allergy asthma attacks wintermom :

stephanie- I'm all about food diaries, It helps you stay honest with yourself, it is my fall back plan. Mathematically 1 -2 fewer sessions of water aerobics a week should not lead to 2-3 lbs of weight gain. That should have been maybe 1200-2400 calories burned over the month. Are you getting close to your period maybe it is hormonal? Maybe the working out helped to suppress your appetite, so it was a combo of eating less and burning fewer calories? Best wishes in figuring it out!

Let's see Monday was uber, duper busy! No official exercise, I only made 4 servings of fruit and veggies. 

Tuesday- 7 servings fruit and veggies; 30 min lifting

Ds' practice ran late so I had to hustle to get my workout in. I did bench press (3 sets- didn't add weight but added reps), 1 set step-ups, 2 sets walking lunges, 2 sets lat pull downs, 1 rope climb

Dd1 is sick, it looks like strep so hopefully, I can get her in today and the rest of us don't catch it. Ds wasn't feeling great this weekend, felt better Sun afternoon and then not great yesterday, he's got a home meet Thurs. I was really hoping for him to feel on top of the world by then!

• Like 2

I'm feeling better allergy-wise, thank goodness.  I played some singles tennis tonight, and it felt so good to get out and run around! I also biked to and from the courts. It's getting dark out really early these days. Blah. I don't like this part of fall, but the rest is pretty awesome.

• Like 2

Allergies are no fun!

C25k with the kids on Monday and today. I did fast finish run on Monday and an easy run today. Tomorrow will be my last solo run before the marathon. My last pre-marathon run will be on Friday with the kids. This week is flying by!

@stephanier.1765 - a food diary sounds like a great idea! I find they help me be honest with myself. Sometimes even writing things down without needing to quantify anything like calories or macros is helpful.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm feeling better allergy-wise, thank goodness.  I played some singles tennis tonight, and it felt so good to get out and run around! I also biked to and from the courts. It's getting dark out really early these days. Blah. I don't like this part of fall, but the rest is pretty awesome.

Getting dark here too but hooray for tennis and better allergies!

10 hours ago, mamaraby said:

Allergies are no fun!

C25k with the kids on Monday and today. I did fast finish run on Monday and an easy run today. Tomorrow will be my last solo run before the marathon. My last pre-marathon run will be on Friday with the kids. This week is flying by!

@stephanier.1765 - a food diary sounds like a great idea! I find they help me be honest with myself. Sometimes even writing things down without needing to quantify anything like calories or macros is helpful.

Your marathon is coming so soon!!! I wish you the best of luck!

Yesterday I got in 6-7 servings of fruit and veggies, woot! Getting in the groove. No exercise but lots of busyness and a little nap! 

Today ds has his meet during TKD so no gym for me, I plan to do bodyweight and kb stuff at home. I'll be gone from Fri evening to Sun morning camping, we'll be getting in some biking and hiking and I hope to do some bodyweight work at least with the girls Sat am, we'll see how that goes. My lifting friend is coming and a lot of times we'll do a bit of something together.

• Like 2

@mamaraby Enjoy your last run before the BIG EVENT! Hope your race goes really well. Don't do what I did and try something different on the day. Stay true to your race plan and don't be tempted by external factors. You can do it!!! 

Got in a nice hike in the woods with a group of homeschool veterans yesterday afternoon. It was really fun to walk and talk. Today I'll go for another walk with a homeschool friend if the rain holds off.  I'll try to get in some tennis this weekend, too. It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. Super early this year, and I'm not ready mentally or with food prep. All I have to make is sweet potatoes to bring to the big family meal. I haven't bought those yet, or the marshmallows to melt on them (must have lots of marshmallows or no one will touch them!).

• Like 1

I started the month on a mega deadline day, and I've been on a slump recently as far as exercise.  I did try running a bit on the treadmill on the 3rd, but my shins started feeling prickly, which scared me.  I will have to dial it back a bit. 

Yesterday was my birthday, so I mainly ate cake and slept a lot, but I did get a massage and a chiropractic adjustment, so that might have started me off on a positive note for the next year.  ?

I keep forgetting to track my movements, using either my fitbit or my iphone.  Need to get back to it.

• Like 3

Oh, and there is a TKD belt test this month that I want to prep for.  I haven't been there in forever, but this form is supposedly really easy.  I need to practice at home and show up for at least a couple classes this month.

• Like 4

@wintermom - Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving! It does seem incredibly early so I don’t blame you. Hope your celebration is a good one!

Final runs in and done. I’m still hemming and hawing about shoes and clothes and pace and... It’s a list. Ds has come down with a cold that started with a sore throat. Now I have a sore throat. Naturally this has not helped my nerves.

@soror - Have fun camping!

• Like 2

I have had a good week with exercise! It is time for me to change my routine as I am getting too bored with it. I am eyeing a few new ideas but just need to commit to the awkward time it takes to learn new stuff. I guess, mentally I need to be ready for it; my body is, now for my mind to catch up. 

I got a lot of tests back - I do not have an auto-immune disorder. Just too many food allergies so my body has been under attack for so long, so possilby that explains why I am always sick with a cold and get every virus, plus migraines. It has been interesting journey. I am learning to care for myself better. I am learning that I need to be more vocal at the doctor's office. It is just easy to say, "fine" rather than to sound whiny and complaining... 

• Like 3

I had started off well this month, but then got a stomach bug.  It took me out for 2 days, but this morning I made it back to the gym.  My workouts have been good; I really need to focus on better eating habits.  It will take a while to get my running up to a point where it helps with weight, so I just need to be better at the eating thing.  I'm eating quite a bit of junk food, and too many carbs.  School makes it harder, but I know i can do it. 

I did lifting at the gym today, followed by a good stretch and 15 mins in the sauna.  I love that thing. I need to add in some things to strengthen my rotator cuff muscles. My right shoulder has been a problem and it just dawned on me today that I should be proactive in treating it. 

Hoping to get a run in tomorrow.   

• Like 3

@lmrich Glad you don't have an auto-immune disorder! I'm with you on the allergy issues, and know how tough this can be when they seem out of control. Hope you can get back some control really soon.

I went to the ER to try and figure out what was going on with my body after a series of weird reactions. Happily my heart, lungs, O2 levels, blood pressure and blood work is all good. I want to see an allergist to see if there is anything I can do to help reduce the reactions. 

• Like 2

@wintermom It is amazing how our bodies can react! I am so sorry you had to go to the ER for your reactions. I had both the skin test and some blood tests to test for allergens. I am contemplating a juice cleanse or something just to give my body a break, of course, I need to make sure that those are allergen-free, too!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lmrich said:

@wintermom It is amazing how our bodies can react! I am so sorry you had to go to the ER for your reactions. I had both the skin test and some blood tests to test for allergens. I am contemplating a juice cleanse or something just to give my body a break, of course, I need to make sure that those are allergen-free, too!

Good luck! 

• Like 2

I had a lovely Sunday run.  I've been trying to work on school work all day. I got a little done.  Doctor Who was super distracting.  It was on in the middle of the day, and now I don't want to focus. 

I did just order tights for cooler running.  I had coupons for Athleta, and I snagged a pair on clearance, so I got 2 pairs of tights. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did it! Marathon completed. Dh was undertrained so the wheels came off around mile 16. Pacing for me was spot on up to that point and I think I would have met my time goal had dh been trained up. Still a win in my book even with the slow second half. Now I’m going to sit around some and not do anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had my gallbladder out 9 years ago. At the time, I did not fit any of the normal markers for having my gallbladder out except being female. Thinking about it now, I wonder if having it out has caused all the bile that was found in my stomach. Interesting... 

Anyways the gallbladder even with a complication was an easy surgery, and I felt remarkably better the very next day. Gallbladder pain is no joke. I passed out from the pain. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

@lmrich  I had another episode with what I'd previously thought was food allergy induced. Turns out it could be gall stones or a gall bladder thing. Bodies are very strange to figure out.  How you figure out yours soon. I'm still working on mine.

Really, I know a lot of females in their 30s and 40s have gall bladder issues.

11 hours ago, mamaraby said:

I did it! Marathon completed. Dh was undertrained so the wheels came off around mile 16. Pacing for me was spot on up to that point and I think I would have met my time goal had dh been trained up. Still a win in my book even with the slow second half. Now I’m going to sit around some and not do anything. 

Woohoo! So proud of you, congratulations!!!! Hope you are getting some rest.

14 hours ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

I had a lovely Sunday run.  I've been trying to work on school work all day. I got a little done.  Doctor Who was super distracting.  It was on in the middle of the day, and now I don't want to focus. 

I did just order tights for cooler running.  I had coupons for Athleta, and I snagged a pair on clearance, so I got 2 pairs of tights. ?

Ya for the good deal. I was just looking on Amazon for Dr. Who but looks like it is purchase only, I hate that they took it from Netflix. I need to do some work on school too.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:22 PM, lmrich said:

I have had a good week with exercise! It is time for me to change my routine as I am getting too bored with it. I am eyeing a few new ideas but just need to commit to the awkward time it takes to learn new stuff. I guess, mentally I need to be ready for it; my body is, now for my mind to catch up. 

I got a lot of tests back - I do not have an auto-immune disorder. Just too many food allergies so my body has been under attack for so long, so possilby that explains why I am always sick with a cold and get every virus, plus migraines. It has been interesting journey. I am learning to care for myself better. I am learning that I need to be more vocal at the doctor's office. It is just easy to say, "fine" rather than to sound whiny and complaining... 

Hugs, I understand that, it's sad it takes so much to figure things out.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:50 PM, Kim in Appalachia said:

I had started off well this month, but then got a stomach bug.  It took me out for 2 days, but this morning I made it back to the gym.  My workouts have been good; I really need to focus on better eating habits.  It will take a while to get my running up to a point where it helps with weight, so I just need to be better at the eating thing.  I'm eating quite a bit of junk food, and too many carbs.  School makes it harder, but I know i can do it. 

I did lifting at the gym today, followed by a good stretch and 15 mins in the sauna.  I love that thing. I need to add in some things to strengthen my rotator cuff muscles. My right shoulder has been a problem and it just dawned on me today that I should be proactive in treating it. 

Hoping to get a run in tomorrow.   

One day at a time, at least we're working on it. My gym is supposed to be putting in a sauna, I don't know that I've ever used one. 

Well, I've been busy, lots of biking and walking but that's it. I ate lots of junk food Sat but back on track yesterday and my weight is in range. I'm not sure what I'm doing today, probably some cleaning and some lazyness.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, lmrich said:

I had my gallbladder out 9 years ago. At the time, I did not fit any of the normal markers for having my gallbladder out except being female. Thinking about it now, I wonder if having it out has caused all the bile that was found in my stomach. Interesting... 

Anyways the gallbladder even with a complication was an easy surgery, and I felt remarkably better the very next day. Gallbladder pain is no joke. I passed out from the pain. 

Glad this was discovered and dealt with. My thing could also be pancreas related. I got hit really hard in the upper abdomen with a tennis ball a couple weeks ago. It's took a while to become overtly symptomatic. I forgot about the trauma, to be honest, but it could be one explanation. I'll be seeing my dr this week and we'll check it out more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mamaraby said:

Congratulations!!  I feel for your dh though.  I'm sure he was disappointed.  But good job!  

• Like 1

gym today.  I'm almost done stage 6 for NRFL4W, so just 1 more stage and I'm done. I've liked the program, but I think I want a little more control over what I'm doing.  My shoulder issues have shown me that I can't just follow something canned.  I want a program, but I also want to tweak it.   I ordered a book from Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1450466036/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's Delavier's Strength training for women.  There was a $5 coupon on it  for some reason.  I hope it will work out for me.  I could also redo NRFL and add stuff.  I'll have to see.

• Like 2

@wintermom - I hope you can get some answers at the doctor!

@lmrich - It’s tough to speak up! You have to, though because you’re worth it and no one else can do it.

@Kim in Appalachia - I love a good plan! And a coupon. Dh does feel badly about how it went down. I feel badly (and not) about how it went down because there’s a part of me that thought that he wasn’t going to be able to keep up. My last long run in August was a tough one and he was really struggling at the end. Honestly, I should have paid more attention to that run because that run was a pretty good harbinger of things to come. I don’t think he appreciated just how much fitness he lost by not running as often as he should have because of work. And he missed the 20 miler because he always chooses to take the kids out to visit his parents in August which in my mind is a dumb time to travel if you’re training for a fall marathon. Life is so complicated, ya know?

I had my pitty party at mile 18 as I watched all of my A, B, and C goals slip away. Complete with tears which was probably not helpful since dh was already on the struggle bus. I chose not to leave him behind even though he asked me to. I chose not to chase my goal and I have all sorts of conflicting feelings about that. Man, though, mile 16 right before that aid station where it became clear how things would go down...I was flying. It was amazing. Even miles 20-23 were just steallar runner’s high territory. Fantastic. Amazing. I crushed that training cycle and should not have doubted myslef in the slightest. Like, #BAMR to borrow a term from Another Mother Runner.

We should have based our pacing plans on dh, not me. If we had started the first half about 30 seconds or more slower per mile, I think we could have finished stronger and possibly spent less time running than we did. It’s just that I’ve always been the slower runner and we always base the strategy on me. Those last two miles were the worst, though. The slowest, I’m not sure this will ever end miles. I was strong, but man, no matter how well trained you are, almost six hours is a long time to be running. I eeked out a D goal when we got to the finish line and saw gun time at 5:59:40. I was *not* going to finish in 6 hours (gun time) so I ditched dh an sprinted so I could cross before 6. It was probably silly, but there was just no way I was going to be a six hour runner. Nope.

What I hate is that if anyone just looks at my splits from the race, then I look like just another runner who was undertrained and went out too fast. I’m in that group of people that some faster marathoners complain about. We’re dragging down average finish times and all that. But you don’t see the context in those splits. Sure, one of use was undertrained and went out too fast. The second of us chose the other person over the time goal. And really, if you run back there, there’s just no way some of those people who finished around us chose that as their result.

I won’t do that next marathon. Next marathon I run for me. 5:30 - I’m coming for you. Anyone not trained up will be left behind because there has to be a marathon result that reflects me as a runner and not someone else. So I’m a little sad, but mostly just f-ing pleased with myself because I did that. I chose to change my life in 2014. June 2015 I decided to change it more by starting running and I decided I’d run a marathon before 2019 even though I had a few people who thought I should wait and see how the running went. But I also learned not to listen to the people who try to slow me down by trying to get me to be “realistic” about my goals. Dh believed from the start that I could reach my goal even when I had my doubts before the race. And again, he probably feels worse about the race than I do because we both know I could have done it.

It’s so cliché but I found myself by running and that’s pretty fantastic. It’s like a non-scale victory, but in this case it’s a non-time based marathon PR. Next up is a four week reverse taper. I’ve got a McMillan plan to follow for that. This week that mostly means I’m running with the kids for their C25k plan. Those runs are always super easy for me as evidenced by my HR and how I feel post run so it’s a good way to recover by not doing anything taxing or challenging. I’m also thinking I’ll shoot for a more agressive goal for my 20k in May so I’m pondering what that might look like.

• Like 3

Mamaraby- I'm so proud of you! Thank you for sharing your story and your thoughts! You have figured out what works for your body and that is a wonderful and powerful thing. You keep on, keeping on!

Nothing much to report here. Food is back to normal after a bit too much junk food indulgence w/ friends while camping. I don't regret eating any of it, it was a good time among friends and it was just a day and night. I do regret eating a bit too much but oh, well, that is ok every now and again.

This is the last week of ds' CC, so I'm not sure how long I'll get to work out tonight and Thurs I'm not sure if I'll get to go at all, we'll see. I told dh it will be bittersweet, ds has done well with it but it will be nice to have one less thing on the schedule.

My weight is staying within range, towards the upper end, but in range, so I'm very pleased about that! 

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Met with trainer this morning.  Adding rowing machine to my workouts.  I'm going to try a senior fit class on Thurs.

Trainer said he thinks we will make faster progress if we meet twice a week rather than once a week.  I am concerned about finances but I'm also concerned about getting injured (I'm the one with the achilles tendononsis and bursitis, and plantar fascia and PTTD from doing too much too fast).  He might have a point that twice a week for a month would be more cost effective than once a week for 2 or 3 months.  BUT, I do NOT want another injury.  I did a YEAR of PT not that long ago.  I know if I get injured, I will slow my progress to a snail pace. 

I'm motivated.  I do the "homework" both at the gym and at home.  And I'd rather be slow and steady than push too much. By the way, my goals are pain relief, weight loss, improve activities of daily living.  I'm not trying to buff up (is such a thing even possible at my age?).  I just want better wellness...

Thoughts???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HollyDay said:

Met with trainer this morning.  Adding rowing machine to my workouts.  I'm going to try a senior fit class on Thurs.

Trainer said he thinks we will make faster progress if we meet twice a week rather than once a week.  I am concerned about finances but I'm also concerned about getting injured (I'm the one with the achilles tendononsis and bursitis, and plantar fascia and PTTD from doing too much too fast).  He might have a point that twice a week for a month would be more cost effective than once a week for 2 or 3 months.  BUT, I do NOT want another injury.  I did a YEAR of PT not that long ago.  I know if I get injured, I will slow my progress to a snail pace. 

I'm motivated.  I do the "homework" both at the gym and at home.  And I'd rather be slow and steady than push too much. By the way, my goals are pain relief, weight loss, improve activities of daily living.  I'm not trying to buff up (is such a thing even possible at my age?).  I just want better wellness...

Thoughts???

Well, of course he wants you in more often, he wants more money. I'd say as long as your motivated and keep working on your own I'd do how many times you wanted. Re: getting buff- that's up to you - strength is a good thing to work on for bone health and aging, even if you don't want to push it. We lose muscles and strength so much as we age we have to be proactive just to keep where we're at. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FairProspects said:

Well, I have ligament damage from doing too much on my knee, so I've been ordered to sit this month out from all exercise. If things don't improve by the end of the month, it is on to the ortho and PT. Getting older sucks. I was finally in really good shape too.

Yes, getting older does suck! We have a theme here, it seems we're all learning or have learned we have to be more mindful of what we do to avoid injuries. Sigh! At least we're still moving, I hope you don't lose too much in this month. I bet you will start back a little rough but you won't lose all your gains in that time. Fingers crossed that you improve by the end of the month so you can move right along.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HollyDay said:

Thoughts???

It depends on WHY he wants to meet with you 2x's a week.  Is it to correct form? Does he need to see what you are doing to know if you can progress?  

There can be a lot of benefit to seeing a trainer more often.  

That being said, I would probably be hesitant.  If it's not for something like form I would probably tell the person you budgeted so many lessons and that is all you can do. Also remake the point that you want to go slow and not get hurt. 

But only you know this trainer.  There are some trainers that I have met that I would take their word for it and go for it.  There are others that I could tell it was not in my best interest, just theirs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FairProspects said:

Well, I have ligament damage from doing too much on my knee, so I've been ordered to sit this month out from all exercise. If things don't improve by the end of the month, it is on to the ortho and PT. Getting older sucks. I was finally in really good shape too.

yup. It does.

So sorry.  Which ligament?  Did you get an MRI? I would want PT as soon as I could in order to do what was needed to strengthen the muscles to prevent further damage.  But I I'm not a PT, only another ageing woman who keeps getting hurt while trying to stay in shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

It depends on WHY he wants to meet with you 2x's a week.  Is it to correct form? Does he need to see what you are doing to know if you can progress?  

There can be a lot of benefit to seeing a trainer more often.  

That being said, I would probably be hesitant.  If it's not for something like form I would probably tell the person you budgeted so many lessons and that is all you can do. Also remake the point that you want to go slow and not get hurt. 

But only you know this trainer.  There are some trainers that I have met that I would take their word for it and go for it.  There are others that I could tell it was not in my best interest, just theirs. 

This is a new trainer for me.  We have only worked together 3 times.  His speciality is rehab rather than "regular" training. My previous trainer was more of a "regular" trainer.  He said something interesting to me today that I'm mulling over.  He said that I can do more than I think I can.  That yes, I have some concerns and we need to be cautious, but I am capable of more than I think I am.  I told him I wasn't always to timid.  I have a pilot's license and a scuba certification.  I've done quite a bit in my life, but the injury to my spine that put me in PT for over a year rattled me quite a bit. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mamaraby said:

@HollyDay - I don’t think there’s anything wrong with going slower if that’s what you’re comfortable with and particularly if you’ve found increased frequency ups your risk for injury. Did you talk with the trainer about your concerns re: injury?

Yes, we talked and he is well aware of my concerns.  We talked quite a long time before I even agreed to work with him.  He seems very capable and I do feel safe working with him.  But, it is my body and I am ultimately responsible for keeping it going.  I just find myself afraid.  Afraid I'll re-injury my back or foot or ankle.  Afraid I'll injure something new.  Afraid I'll trigger a pain flare.  Fear is sometimes good...it keeps us out of trouble (sometimes).  But, fear can also be limiting.  Something for me to think about more......

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HollyDay said:

This is a new trainer for me.  We have only worked together 3 times.  His speciality is rehab rather than "regular" training. My previous trainer was more of a "regular" trainer.  He said something interesting to me today that I'm mulling over.  He said that I can do more than I think I can.  That yes, I have some concerns and we need to be cautious, but I am capable of more than I think I am.  I told him I wasn't always to timid.  I have a pilot's license and a scuba certification.  I've done quite a bit in my life, but the injury to my spine that put me in PT for over a year rattled me quite a bit. 

Sounds like you know yourself well, and are wise not to rush things. You are on the right track with building up slowly and steadily, and I think that will do more to increase your confidence in your body than anything. You know that your mind is strong, but your body is fragile right now. You have your whole life ahead of you to take things at the pace that works for you. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

@mamaraby  Thanks for the blow-by-blow of your marathon. There is WAY too much time for the brain to go nuts during a marathon. ? So glad you felt strong and are keen to do another race. That's wonderful!!  I hope your dh finds a distance that works well for him. Perhaps he'd enjoy the half distance better? There's no shame at all in that. And you could probably find a race that's both half and full you could run together. My first marathon was exactly that. It was a double circle (out and back x2). Imagine running the half with him, then you keep going and he's there to cheer you on. Could be a win-win for you both.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

@wintermom - Well, this was actually his second marathon. He did *much* better in his first marathon (last fall) than he did this one. The moral here, of course being, respect the distance. 26.2 miles is no joke. We’ll re-run this marathon since dh feels he has unfinshed business with the course.

@HollyDay - my cynical side is with @soror. The trainer obviously would prefer more frequent visits from a business standpoint. I understand the fear bit, too. I’d want to preserve fitness and prevent injury. What if you chose to stick with what you’ve budgeted and what you feel confident can keep injuries at bay while tabling the increased frequency discussion for the future?

• Like 1

I've done well running this summer and have been concerned that now it's fall and getting colder and darker, which makes running during the day harder for me. But my friend (who has always hated running) asked me this week if I wanted to run with her in the mornings. I hate running in the dark by myself, but I can do it with a friend. So we've already gone once this week and are going again today or tomorrow. I'm really excited to have a close-by running friend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mamaraby said:

Well, this was actually his second marathon. He did *much* better in his first marathon (last fall) than he did this one. The moral here, of course being, respect the distance. 26.2 miles is no joke. We’ll re-run this marathon since dh feels he has unfinshed business with the course.

Most definitely, the 26 miles is a beast. And mentally the second marathon can be so different than the first, as so much of running the first is the huge mental hurdle of wondering whether it's even possible. I can completely understand someone approaching the second with a little more relaxed attitude. 

But in all honesty, even with the "best" preparation, a person can have an unexpected race. there are so many factors that come into play over the course of 26 miles. This is why I've dropped this distance. I hated working so hard, over such a long time, for so little control on race day. It just wasn't worth it anymore.

• Like 2

Got in a couple nice bike rides today. I discovered a new series of gorgeous, paved pathways near my house. The weird thing about them is that they loop around some drainage ponds and a creek, but don't actually go anywhere useful. There is a big subdivision nearby isolated from good pathways, and these new ones could have joined up to the subdivision but didn't. Not planned out very well, considering the high cost these must have been and the great potential to have been really useful for non-vehicle transport which the city keeps saying it wants to promote. ?

• Like 3

I had a nice run this morning, followed by 20 minutes of yoga to stretch out.  

I scored a new long sleeve running top today for $2.70.  I had Kohl's cash, plus a coupon.  It's a lovely blue Under Armour. It will go nicely with my new tights.  We have a cold front coming through next week.  A little over a week ago it was in the 90's.  Next week we will see highs in the 50's!  Crazy.  I will need warm stuff to run. I am used to running in temps in the 70's or higher. 

Yesterday I had a good gym workout.  I did a full body weight routine.  I want to focus on rehabbing my shoulder as well as keeping up my lower body stuff.  I like that new book I got. It has a lot of information and good ideas for routines.  I think it was a good purchase. 

• Like 4

@Kim in Appalachia Nice score on the long-sleeve top, though I'm not thrilled that it's getting cold enough so these are soon a necessity! ?

I had my first indoor season doubles tennis match yesterday and it went really well. It was so strange playing indoors again, so it took a little while to relax and figure things out. Our team ended up winning all four of our matches!  I also went for a beautiful bike ride and hike this afternoon. I love the fall colours and temps. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

@wintermom - I like long distance. I’ve got my eye on a 50k. ? And a 30k. A trail half. I’m contemplating trying the lottery for the Chicago Marathon next year. Chances would be slim, but it’s a bucket list item for me.

@Kim in Appalachia - Score! The day before my marathon, I got a short sleeve running shirt at Target for $4.80 and I thought I had found a deal, lol.

C25k with the kids today. It was 37 F when we went. I wanted cooler running weather, just not so sure that’s what I meant. I miss the big pockets on my running shorts for my phone and I’m feeling too cheap to buy new capris.

• Like 3

Gah. Too stinking busy. 

I did make it to lift Tuesday but Thursday we went to ds' meet. 

Saturday we had Challenge Course with the boys so lots of walking and some climbing. At the end, I was the last one in the perch (30ft+ up) and tied my own repel and belay lines without anyone to check them, that was scary!

Now, ds is done with CC, so I get a full hour of lifting Tues and Thurs again. 

I think the schedule will be slowing down, thank goodness, feeling a little bit stressed out here to say the least. Way too many late nights, especially with getting up early every single day. 

It is downright cool here, we camped the weekend before and it was 90F, Challenge Course this Sat. was overcast, misty and 40F. 1 week and 50 degrees difference, felt like more than that with the sun in hiding. We've had little walks most days but need to do more, just need more time and energy.

Weight is inching back down. Trying to keep focused so I'll be back at the lower end of my range by the end of the month (which is flying by). I opened the thread and was thinking, Is it still October???, but we still have a couple of weeks left. With my new schedule, my eating schedule had to change but looks like I've got it lined back out. I was eating way too much breakfast since I was eating it so much later than usual and I was so hungry but I'm doing ok now.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3