Menu

Crossposted with College Board--VA closing colleges due to Florence

Chris in VA

VUU (Virginia Union) is closed as of today.

William and Mary canceled classes after 12:30 today, and will close residence halls at 5pm Weds. 

Old Dominion is in the mandatory evac zone, so they  will be closed Tues. 

Christopher Newport closed Weds (11am for residence halls). 

Norfolk canceled classes after 12:30 today and will close today at 5. 

Still waiting to see if my dd's college is going to cancel any classes. Rumor is Friday will be shut down. They have generators if they lose power, but they will close one of the dining halls. They are in a flood plain.

• Thanks 1

From the very beginning, I thought this was out of control media hype. My son received notice on Tuesday night that VCU would shut down Thursday through the weekend. Fantastic, he's had two lovely days off.

Hollins University shut down Thursday/Friday (apparently they are in a lower flood plain?), yet Roanoke hasn't had any rain to speak of since Monday night.

Radford University announced on Wednesday that the college would close Thursday at noon.

I'm close. We've had very, very little rain. Yesterday was blue skies and gorgeous, fluffy clouds.

I get being cautious. But this is ridiculous, imo. The grocery stores were cleaned out on Monday--no water, bread, milk. By Wednesday night, they were restocked--which is kind of nice, because now the stores are kind of empty!

Roanoke College has cancelled Monday classes.  We actually did have a bunch of rain Wednesday night.  Only an inch or two, but in an hour or so.  A bunch of people experienced flooding from that, and several had to be rescued.  The concern for Roanoke is not the amount of predicted rain, but the fact that the ground is already super saturated.  

ETA:  People were panicking earlier in the week and clearing out the stores of bread and milk and water because at the time they were predicting a possibility of over 40 inches of rain, which would have been catastrophic.  Even then, the weather reports listed that as a worst case scenario, but it was a worst case scenario with some rationale behind it.  Our local weather guy is not prone to panic or hyperbole, and he was urging people to take the warnings very seriously.  As it has gotten closer, the predictions have been refined to now expecting 3-6 inches, which will still cause flooding, given the condition of the ground, but will not be catastrophic.  There is a possibility of some areas getting 8-12 inches of rain, which would be very bad, but is probably unlikely.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

ALL NC state universities are closed except UNC Asheville and Western Carolina U.  And Florence is going through there Sun......grrr.....

UNC-A and Western may change their minds on that, although from what I'm looking at it seems they'll stay on the left side of Florence's remnants and aren't supposed to get nearly as much rain as the right side. App has now cancelled classes for Monday and Tuesday. The amount of rain they're supposed to get could mean catastrophic flooding in the high country.

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

UNC-A and Western may change their minds on that, although from what I'm looking at it seems they'll stay on the left side of Florence's remnants and aren't supposed to get nearly as much rain as the right side. App has now cancelled classes for Monday and Tuesday. The amount of rain they're supposed to get could mean catastrophic flooding in the high country.

Well, they may, but it won't be in time for me to go get my son......grrrr.....

55 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Well, they may, but it won't be in time for me to go get my son......grrrr.....

But . . why would you? He (and you) are likely much safer for him to shelter where he's at, and for you to avoid being on the roads. App was cancelled Thursday, Friday and now Monday and Tuesday. DS19 is there in an off campus apartment. He has his car. We could have told him to come home. But that wouldn't have made any sense since we're may get it just as bad here.

53 minutes ago, DawnM said:

They aren't even getting anything until Sun or Mon.  Weird.

But originally Florence was predicted to go much more northwest, and they would have gotten something much sooner. TPTB have to make decisions in advance, not with the benefit of hindsight!

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

But . . why would you? He (and you) are likely much safer for him to shelter where he's at, and for you to avoid being on the roads. App was cancelled Thursday, Friday and now Monday and Tuesday. DS19 is there in an off campus apartment. He has his car. We could have told him to come home. But that wouldn't have made any sense since we're may get it just as bad here.

But originally Florence was predicted to go much more northwest, and they would have gotten something much sooner. TPTB have to make decisions in advance, not with the benefit of hindsight!

Just because I would like him home.  

Yes, I understand that, but the path was always through Asheville and they didn't cancel.  Liberty students ended up with 2 free days to enjoy and probably more days for the hurricane coming up.  They could have chosen to "wait and see" like our local school district did.  

31 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yes, I understand that, but the path was always through Asheville and they didn't cancel.  Liberty students ended up with 2 free days to enjoy and probably more days for the hurricane coming up.  They could have chosen to "wait and see" like our local school district did.  

My mom felt that way in Hugo. I drove home from Greensboro to Charlotte in the beginnings of the storm. At first she was upset that I drove, but the next morning she was so relieved to have me under her roof. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Not to be argumentative, but -- No, it wasn't. Earlier in the week the predicted path had it coming up between the Triad and Triangle then up into southwestern Virginia around Roanoke. The worst of the weather would have been nowhere near Asheville at that point. Even when it started changing (which was Wednesday or Thursday I think?) it still wasn't very close. That's exactly why they took students from UNC-W who had nowhere to go to Asheville. At that point it was expected to be the safest part of the state.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 10:24 AM, Pawz4me said:

Not to be argumentative, but -- No, it wasn't. Earlier in the week the predicted path had it coming up between the Triad and Triangle then up into southwestern Virginia around Roanoke. The worst of the weather would have been nowhere near Asheville at that point. Even when it started changing (which was Wednesday or Thursday I think?) it still wasn't very close. That's exactly why they took students from UNC-W who had nowhere to go to Asheville. At that point it was expected to be the safest part of the state.

And yet, you are.  Ok, then.  The radar I saw had a very dark portion going through Asheville.  Whatever. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, Terabith said:

Roanoke College has cancelled Monday classes.  We actually did have a bunch of rain Wednesday night.  Only an inch or two, but in an hour or so.  A bunch of people experienced flooding from that, and several had to be rescued.  The concern for Roanoke is not the amount of predicted rain, but the fact that the ground is already super saturated. 

That flooding was Tuesday night, and that Kroger parking lot is notorious for flooding.

I don't recall Hollins ever cancelling like this, but someone said it flooded badly back in ~1985 flood, hence the precaution. We "risked" it by going to Fredericksburg yesterday to meet family. There were a few bursts while driving, but it was fine. It didn't start raining until mid morning here. (I'm near Ballast Point.) I think this is the first of the Florence effect, but the showers while driving yesterday may have been too.

On the plus side, I'm sure there are LOTS of people eating French toast this weekend to use up all of the milk, bread, and eggs they bought!

• Like 1