Menu

Question About Melaleuca Company (Do I dare ask?)

mykidsrmyjoy

I know there are some pretty strong opinions here about MLM companies, but I'm going to risk asking if there is anyone who uses Melaleuca products. My sister in law recently started selling their products and gave me a catalog. Frankly, I'm interested in some of their items. Thoughts, opinions, reviews? 

Edited by mykidsrmyjoy

dh uses me as a guinea pig from his business group.  so, he's brought home the stuff for me to check out.  I found it to be typical of mlm - overprice for average quality at best.

- i took their b-vitamin complex, it made me ill.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I have bought something so long ago that I should not even comment here because the composition of their prods probably has changed a few times since then. Their laundry detergent was rather good if I remember correctly. They also sold tea tree oil but you can get that elsewhere too. 

I got some products a few years ago to help a friend who was getting started, and they did wonders for my kid with excema.  We love their Renew line, especially the hand wash.  In the winter, we had always needed to buy expensive hand lotion to deal with chapped hands, but we haven't for the past 2 winters.  I use some of their other products, but the Renew is my favorite.  

They have some decent products, but so do a lot of other regular companies.  I believe that if you buy into their company, you're required to purchase a minimum every month.  I have a close friend that does Meleluca, but because I only want a few things very occasionally allows me to use her account to buy them.  Their detergent is very good.  I know that people rave about their Renew line, but my kids dislike the fragrance.  It also uses petroleum which I thought goes against their idea of "natural" products.  Their sales people usually insist that their products are "natural" but what does that mean anyway?  I guess petroleum is natural if you think about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Ooh!  And their dish soap keeps my sponges from smelling.  They never get stinky because it is antimicrobial and antibacterial.  I didn’t even notice until I ran out last month and had to buy some Dawn.  I’m like “why does my hand smell musty??” after squeezing out a fairly new sponge.  The laundry detergent is still fantastic too, that’s another thing I won’t go without.  But I’m not a huge fan of the dishwasher tabs.

Is this a new name for Amway? Because it seems to sell a lot of the same stuff.

I think some of the products are good, but we didn't want to be billed monthly for a minimum of products even if we didn't want to order that month.

We also didn't like the high pressure from our relative selling the stuff. It was the typical MLM spiel: "I'm growing my business, and you can buy all the products you're already purchasing from Costco/Walmart, etc, but from my business now. If you partner with me, you can have that extra money to give to mom, or take that dream vacation..." 

If I were interested in some of their products, I'd do what solascriptura does, and buy from a friend who has an account, and not commit to a monthly minimum or give them my credit card info for automatic billing. 

3 hours ago, solascriptura said:

They have some decent products, but so do a lot of other regular companies.  I believe that if you buy into their company, you're required to purchase a minimum every month.  I have a close friend that does Meleluca, but because I only want a few things very occasionally allows me to use her account to buy them.  Their detergent is very good.  I know that people rave about their Renew line, but my kids dislike the fragrance.  It also uses petroleum which I thought goes against their idea of "natural" products.  Their sales people usually insist that their products are "natural" but what does that mean anyway?  I guess petroleum is natural if you think about it.

I say through a spiel one time and asked the lady how the company defines "natural." She responded with a non sequitur answer about how great natural products are. I don't buy anywhere near that much cleaning/personal care/supplements in a six months as they assured me I must spend every month. They also wanted my credit card info for just in case I decided to sign up later. Nope. 

• Like 1

I recently rejoined. I had a personal account for a while (about five years ago) and it was easy to cancel, but recently signed back up because I like their vitamins and Renew lotion. I can get different brands of dish soap or laundry detergent, but will probably buy from Melaleuca if I'm making an order anyway. I used their prenatal vitamins with my last child and they didn't make me gag or feel sick. He was born very healthy, too. I've been having some thyroid problems for a couple years and didn't want to do anything drastic and tried to fix it with diet, but without success. I started taking Melaleuca vitamins again and had some blood tests done about 5-6 weeks later and my thyroid is suddenly okay. ???? I don't know if it was the vitamins, but it is the only thing I can think of that I was doing differently, so I signed back up to start getting them regularly. We shall see if this continues well. Also, winter always brings on dry skin, and I like their lotion. I've given it to friends who suffer from chapped hands with good results.

17 hours ago, mykidsrmyjoy said:

I know there are some pretty strong opinions here about MLM companies, but I'm going to risk asking if there is anyone who uses Melaleuca products. My sister in law recently started selling their products and gave me a catalog. Frankly, I'm interested in some of their items. Thoughts, opinions, reviews? 

Since my friend has an account and she's given me a lot of products to try, I'll tell you what I've liked.  I can't speak to it being natural though.  Again like I mentioned before, I'm skeptical of the term and upon reading the labels there were still a lot of words I couldn't figure out.

Laundry detergent (it's super concentrated so you will need to buy the pump separately), dishwasher detergent, shampoos are nice ( but I'm not picky), I like their liquid hand soap.  I just tried their Tub and Tile a few hours ago and I had the redo some mildew areas with bleach.  So the Tub and Tile won't work with mildew.  I like their glass cleaner.  I believe most of their cleaners are concentrates so you'll need to get the empty refillable bottles.  

I was a customer for years and liked the products a lot.

On those months where I didn't need quite enough to make up my minimum, I would order extra tubes of Melagel.  It's like amped up neosporin with tea tree oil in it and works amazing for wound care.  Then I would donate the extra Melagel tubes to organizations that do mission work.  A whole lot of my donated tubes have made their way to Haiti and reservations in the Dakotas. 

I stopped ordering simply because I was trying to reduce expenses,  but I really liked the cleaning products. 

7 hours ago, Tiberia said:

I think some of the products are good, but we didn't want to be billed monthly for a minimum of products even if we didn't want to order that month.

We also didn't like the high pressure from our relative selling the stuff. It was the typical MLM spiel: "I'm growing my business, and you can buy all the products you're already purchasing from Costco/Walmart, etc, but from my business now. If you partner with me, you can have that extra money to give to mom, or take that dream vacation..." 

If I were interested in some of their products, I'd do what solascriptura does, and buy from a friend who has an account, and not commit to a monthly minimum or give them my credit card info for automatic billing. 

I also did not like that I had to order a monthly minimum $ amount each and every month. The lowest level was not that low and, after about 3 months, it was no longer easy to find things I truly needed & I ended up buying stuff I didn't really need to buy. And the rep who got me started also made the "all the products you are currently purchasing from Costco, Walmart, etc." What she didn't mention was that I'd be paying 2x+ more than what I pay at those other places. 

Yes, I did like their cleaning products, but I make my own cleaning products now for pennies, using truly "all natural" ingredients from my home cabinets + a few essential oil drops. They work so well the cleaning lady we had to use for a while got a copy of the book I use. You don't need to *purchase* the vast majority of cleaning products. 

I do think they are better than some of the other MLMs out there, in terms of their product quality & how they treat their people, but it's still an MLM-business model, with all the strings that go with that.