Menu

WHat are my choices for history

We more or less followed TWTM model.

The primary thing we did differently was that we didn't use the WTM-recommended texts for spines. Instead, we went with the National Geographic Visual History of the World supplemented with whatever else caught our fancy that year.

My daughter read the appropriate sections of the National Geographic book, read through the supplemental books, read selections from The Mammoth Books of How It Happened for primary sources, watched documentaries from Netflix and the library and www.learner.org, did research on any subject that interested her, wrote papers and did projects.

It was plenty. In fact, she took Western Civilization I and II in college last year and said that they covered almost nothing she hadn't already studied. They did go into things in more depth, but she was amply prepared.

Guest Sandy C.

My daughter studied two years of American History (first year, colonial through Civil War; second year, Reconstruction through current) through a local co-op. The teacher used a little known text for the spine and they read a lot of good books in addition. The ones I remember most were the Albert Marin books on WWI, Stalin, Hitler and the Pacific front of WWII.

For Western Civ (two years), we used Spielvogel's text and it was wonderful. I supplemented it with reading and videos. I still have a spreadsheet listing those resources. Let me know if you'd like to see it and I'll send it to you.

My dd is now a freshman in college taking an honors Western Civ class this semester and doing well in it. As the above commenter said, she was well prepared for the topics covered.

SWB's History of the Ancient World is a great book. Very interesting and full of good information.

William J Bennett's America: Last Best Hope Vol 1 and are great for American History.

We've also used some BJU Press textbooks. They are interesting for "textbooks" and cover all the necessary information.

I really hope SWB will complete her history series before my youngest gets to high school.

Pam L

Hi Marsha,

We use Tapestry of Grace - a four-year history rotation with literature, composition, church history, worldview, government, and art appreciation integrated into the study of history. Very thorough, even if you don't do all the elective parts. At the Rhetoric (high school) level, the literature study is really excellent. At the high school level, this program takes a pretty hefty amount of time to do well, and you as the parent need to be involved in discussing things with your child, but it is time well spent, in my opinion.

Blessings,

April

We're using TRISMS as well.

Every time I think I'm going to switch, I realize that there really isn't anything else out there that is as structured, but at the same time as flexible.

I like that we can do the minimum in the areas that bore him (and still know that the bases are covered), or really go down a wandering path, and that there are lots of suggestions for that.

I think TRISMS does an admirable job of NOT being a "Christian" curriculum, but the reality is that, in the Western world, history was written by the winners (who happened to be the Catholic Church). However, there is more than just the Western world to study. Even when doing the ancients (Rome, Greece). ;)

I also like that I choose my own math and science. But that's not what you're asking.

asta

We used the first two years of Omnibus, integrating Lit and History. It's fine for high school. I supplemented with Spielvogel's Western Civ, which is indicated in the Omnibus text, but I would recommend going ahead and reading the chapters in their entirety, instead of the snippets that Omnibus has as supplemental reading.

I used Sonlight 300 for 20th century--It's ok, but I would use a spine with it. I did not like Spielvogel for the 20th cent because it was too light--much stronger in the earlier historical periods.

We kinda fudged the middle period--Year 3, WTM-style. I'd go back and do it in order if I could do it again. I thought my son might really enjoy a 20th cent year, so we did that Jr. year, and he is doing Gov. this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm jumping in on this thread... how do you grade a history class for high school credits? Do you give tests? If so, do you make your own? I'm not thrilled with the idea of BJU history for next year, but it does offer tests. Do any of the others? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Connie

Could you compare Notgrass with Sonlight? We've used Sonlight and SOTW in the past. I looked at Notgrass and it looks wonderful, especially if I can combine it with Lit and not have a separate Lit program. (Although we loved Lightning Lit this year!).

Connie

Books:

1. non-fiction = "spine" text of Spielvogel's Human Odyssey (world history, ancients to 1999)

2. non-fiction = bits from other non-fiction books to fill in/give balance

3. historical fiction = 6-8 books from various lists: Well Trained Mind; Sonlight; Ambleside Online; etc.)

4. classics = read aloud/discuss together 6 works from the history time period, ala WTM

(examples: during ancients, we did Gilgamesh, Iliad, Odyssey, Oedipus, etc.; during 20th century, we're doing All Quiet on the Western Front, Diary of Anne Frank, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Cry the Beloved Country)

Other work (stuff that is more easily "graded"):

1. write out answers to section review questions at section ends of Spielvogel

2. optional: use review questions at chapter ends of Spielvogel for testing

3. about every 3-6 weeks, write out brief sentences of 20 items to timeline

4. about once a quarter, write a longer paper on a topic from the time period studied

5. do some sort of shorter or longer writing for each classic (above)

Best of luck finding what works for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

I'm jumping in on this thread... how do you grade a history class for high school credits? Do you give tests? If so, do you make your own? I'm not thrilled with the idea of BJU history for next year, but it does offer tests. Do any of the others? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Connie

Hi Connie.

Human Odyssey has a TM w/ answers to the many pre-read & review questions in the student text. Ds will also do essays so I can check for retention. Omnibus also has a thorough teacher CD.

Next year for Ancients in 9th, this is my tentative plan:

SWB's HOAW

Spielvogel's HO selected chapters on ancients

Omnibus 1 selected primary readings

Drew's Iliad study guide

Teaching Company ancient history lectures (Vandiver)

Netflix documentaries & movies

I am planning to use SWB's adult history series. I asked her about this some time ago and she replied that she uses it with her own teen ds.

I'm curious about this, too. I thought The History of the Ancient World was part of the "adult series" -- and the rest of it hasn't been written yet?

After reading her ds' schedule for when he was 14 (he's 17 now, I believe), I kinda liked the idea of using SWB's plan for history; but it doesn't look like the whole series will be out for my ds. Changing part way isn't exactly what I want to do either.

Oh, I THOUGHT she had finished the 2nd (about ready for printing) and is working on the 3rd. But sometimes I come up with weird conclusions in my head :)

Oh, I THOUGHT she had finished the 2nd (about ready for printing) and is working on the 3rd. But sometimes I come up with weird conclusions in my head :)

Yes -- that's my understanding, too, that the second one is almost ready for the printers. But doesn't it take at least a year for the book to actually be published and available for sale?

For me, this is no big deal. I just got the first book a couple of weeks ago and I probably won't be finished with it before the next one comes out. As far as using them for high school? Well, I *do* joke that my son is on the five year plan, but I really hope he isn't still doing high school when the fourth book is finished! :lol: