Menu

Mother of the Groom dress help!

PrincessMommy

I may have finally found the dress I want to wear at my son's wedding. It's a beautiful pretty plum color.  However, it has spaghetti straps.  I need to wear something that covers my shoulders, at least for the ceremony.  I also wouldn't mind if I could wear it for the whole evening as I'm not real comfortable with my chubby bare arms.   This is the 7-8th dress I've tried since February.  and I have two more being delivered this week.  Don't judge..it's been very frustrating.  I've gone up a dress size with each child's wedding (this is #3)... and finding a pretty dress that doesn't look *old* is hard. 

The problem is that it didn't come with a cover and trying to find a plum colored shrug/cover/whatever is next to impossible.  The only few I could find are a little too casual.   So, do I go with black?   grey, white?? Another color??  Purple doesn't work - at least not on the computer screen.    The wedding is "semi formal" at 3pm.  Oh, did I mention it's THIS Saturday.  I want something that isn't too heavy - kind of sheer since it will be warm and humid.

Help!  

• Like 1

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

What about a beautiful scarf that has the right color as part of it? I've used scarves as shrugs and gotten many compliments and think you could pull that off very well. It will look nice for photographs, for sitting through the ceremony, talking with people, but not as well for eating or dancing, should you wonder. 

Edited by Dynamite5
  • Like 2

I had a similar conundrum when my son married two years ago and I bought a satin "shrug" off Etsy.  Worked perfectly.  This is the one I ordered --> https://www.etsy.com/listing/231903608/dark-blue-satin-bolero-fully-lined-uk-4?

Ugh, just saw the note that the wedding is this weekend.  As for color, I'd do a neutral -- gray, dark khaki, maybe black, maybe white (what color are your shoes?). 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

I would say black or silver. Black is probably easier to find something at the last minute.

Hard to say what would look nice without seeing the shape of the dress. How about something like this:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/r-m-richards-scalloped-sequin-lace-bolero?ID=915099&pla_country=US&cm_mmc=MSN_Bing_Womens_RTW_PLA-_-RTW+Womens_Womens+Sweaters+-+BS_R+%26+M+Richards-_-11620706825-_-pg2236410_t_kclickid_f6a1f223-bd5c-4350-b09b-d48f43e69ff3&trackingid=424x2236410

Edited by CaliforniaDreamin

Why be stressed about shipping not cooperating?

Go to a little boutique store in your town and treat yourself to a little pretty thing...just for you, mama!  You would get to have a change of scenery, a pretty shopping bag to carry your scarf home, and you would be done with this tomorrow!  

Congratulations and have fun this weekend!

• Like 2

OK, Debbi, THIS Sat?

Do you have time to run to a fabric store and buy a yard or more, depending on length, or whatever of preferred fabric? Just roll in the edge to stitch or have someone else stitch it down?  That way you can buy your fabric: color, pattern, weight, etc.  Wear it as a shawl

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dynamite5 said:

Sorry---I read that the dress was a beautiful plum color, not a print.  My bad!

No, I think it is a plum color.  And, I LOVE prints, and the idea of finding a scarf that contains the color of the dress is a great one.  However, my concern is that everyone has on solid color dresses, but the MOG is the only one that has on a print, it will avert the eye in photos.  It might depend on the bouquets, etc.  I’m just saying that in a sea of all solids, a print will sort of be a “distraction” in the photos. JMO, though!  Whatever the OP chooses, I would sure run it past the bride first.  OP could remove the scarf/wrap for photos, but it sounds like she prefers to hav her arms covered. ?

• Like 1

I feel for you since I went through it twice this year. Maybe you will find something right as you are giving up, that's how it was for me both times. One outfit I bought was right at the knee, the other was to the ankles. I didn't have to worry about needing a shrug though. Seriously, I was worried about the style, color, or what level of formal. It was all fine.