Menu

Food to go with musicals?

PeterPan

Dd wants to do a marathon of musicals before she goes back to college, and I thought it would be fun to pair foods with them. Any suggestions? :biggrin: 

Here's her list:

Happiest Millionaire

My Fair Lady

Fiddler On the Roof

Singing in the Rain

On the Town

Mary Poppins

Gigi

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 

Aladdin

Little Mermaid

Wizard of Oz

Sound of Music

Phantom of the Opera

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Dumbo

Frozen

Tangled

Pete’s Dragon

Enchanted

The King and I

Beauty and the Beast

Summer Magic

Cinderella (original animated) ** She put this but I think she means the Rogers & Hammerstein version

So for instance, for Happiest Millionaire, obviously we would eat chocolate cake, since the main character is on a chocolate cake diet, hehe. For Phantom of the Opera, maybe something french? What would be easy french? Not all desserts either. I actually need some meats or sides or meals for this to turn into. Something typical Jewish or Ukranian for Fiddler maybe... My Fair Lady is British, right? Maybe fish? Ooo, would curry work for that? So it could stem from the country or food that is in the movie or almost anything...

Go! :smile:

PS. I can't believe she didn't put Flower Drum Song on there. That would be an excuse to eat Chinese, hehe. Anything else seriously vital she missed? LOL Ok, now I'm realizing South Pacific, Oklahoma... Food for South Pacific, that could get interesting...

Edited by PeterPan

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Dd wants to do a marathon of musicals before she goes back to college, and I thought it would be fun to pair foods with them. Any suggestions? :biggrin: 

Here's her list:

Happiest Millionaire

My Fair Lady - fish and chips??

Fiddler On the Roof - Ukrainian Plov?

Singing in the Rain - hmm... old hollywood theme? Maybe steak....

On the Town

Mary Poppins

Gigi - French onion soup, souffle if you are up for a challenge

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - make a picnic basket...

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 

Aladdin - make appetizers, hummus, baba ganoosh, make your own flat bread, search easy recipes, some kebabs and rice?

Little Mermaid - um, seafood of course!

Wizard of Oz - fantasy food maybe? 

Sound of Music - Goulash and strudel

Phantom of the Opera - French.... hmm.... maybe baguettes, cheeses

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -oregon in the 1850s, so maybe country type food, or maybe salmon? 

Dumbo - circus themed food? Hot dogs, popcorn

Frozen - Germany.... so many possibilities.......I vote for black forest cake....

Tangled Norway.....smorbrod....google it, open face sandwiches

Pete’s Dragon.

Enchanted

The King and I

Beauty and the Beast

Summer Magic

Cinderella (original animated) ** She put this but I think she means the Rogers & Hammerstein version

So for instance, for Happiest Millionaire, obviously we would eat chocolate cake, since the main character is on a chocolate cake diet, hehe. For Phantom of the Opera, maybe something french? What would be easy french? Not all desserts either. I actually need some meats or sides or meals for this to turn into. Something typical Jewish or Ukranian for Fiddler maybe... My Fair Lady is British, right? Maybe fish? Ooo, would curry work for that? So it could stem from the country or food that is in the movie or almost anything...

Go! :smile:

PS. I can't believe she didn't put Flower Drum Song on there. That would be an excuse to eat Chinese, hehe. Anything else seriously vital she missed? LOL Ok, now I'm realizing South Pacific, Oklahoma... Food for South Pacific, that could get interesting...

I love these sort of challenges, so I put some ideas in color above!

I'll post more later if I think of any.

• Like 1

I went to a beauty and the beast dinner theatre. One of the deserts was “grey stuff.” It was a cookies and cream mouse. 

For Gigi you need goose. ?

Willy Wonka - veggie soup with cabbage. 

Little Mermaid - fish sticks ????

wizard of oz - emerald city meal - just color everything green

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, mellifera33 said:

How about flounder while watching The Little Mermaid? ? Tomato soup, roast beef, and blueberry pie for Willy Wonka? Frozen TV dinners for Frozen? Wiener Schnitzel for Sound of Music? Snacky circus food for Dumbo? 

Wanted to bring over this reply too from the other board, because it was too fun!! :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan

12 minutes ago, Um_2_4 said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - make a picnic basket...

I liked all your ideas, but this is perfect! There's actually going to be a (shhh) guy friend of hers with us, so picnics, candles for B&B, it could all be fun! 

11 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Enchanted: they eat a hot dog ;) in the movie.  Plus there is a pizza parlor scene, as well as the poisoned caramel apple. 

I have seen it and never noticed that, so that's awesome!!

10 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Beauty & the Beast - gray stuff, of course!

Good point! Love it.

9 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I went to a beauty and the beast dinner theatre. One of the deserts was “grey stuff.” It was a cookies and cream mouse. 

For Gigi you need goose. ?

Willy Wonka - veggie soup with cabbage. 

Little Mermaid - fish sticks ????

wizard of oz - emerald city meal - just color everything green

Ok, now you're getting radical with the green food for wizard of oz, brilliant! Yup, I actually have pheasant in the freezer we could use with Gigi. Remember the scene where they eat those stupid autolon (however you spell them, little birds).

This is way fun. Y'all are great! I think for Singin in the Rain maybe breakfast foods, because they have that good morning scene. But maybe they never get around to eating it? I've forgotten, lol.

On the Town is set in NYC. They do everything they can in 24 hours. But what would really be NY???

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I liked all your ideas, but this is perfect! There's actually going to be a (shhh) guy friend of hers with us, so picnics, candles for B&B, it could all be fun! 

I have seen it and never noticed that, so that's awesome!!

Good point! Love it.

Ok, now you're getting radical with the green food for wizard of oz, brilliant! Yup, I actually have pheasant in the freezer we could use with Gigi. Remember the scene where they eat those stupid autolon (however you spell them, little birds).

This is way fun. Y'all are great! I think for Singin in the Rain maybe breakfast foods, because they have that good morning scene. But maybe they never get around to eating it? I've forgotten, lol.

On the Town is set in NYC. They do everything they can in 24 hours. But what would really be NY???

The green meal is a stolen idea. It was done for a wizard of oz cast party my kids attended. 

You could serve Cornish game hens and just say it’s those difficult little birds. You’ll also NEED champagne for Gigi; even if it’s just fizzy juice. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

The green meal is a stolen idea. It was done for a wizard of oz cast party my kids attended. 

You could serve Cornish game hens and just say it’s those difficult little birds. You’ll also NEED champagne for Gigi; even if it’s just fizzy juice. 

So true!!! LOL 

47 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Little Mermaid: something seaweed related or something to eat with a dinglehopper because "fish are friends not food" (different movie bit still true!)

I know, I've been chuckling over the horror of that for an hour now, whether it's ok to eat Flounder. LOL And yes, now that I've seen Nemo the musical at Disney World, it's one of my favs! Maybe we should put that on the list. I wanted to surprise her and add some things she hasn't seen, just to keep it fresh. 

28 minutes ago, Junie said:

Wizard of Oz -- corn on the cob (Scarecrow is found in a cornfield)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -- um, is chocolate a meal?

Frozen -- sandwiches, so you can finish each other's

Dumbo -- peanuts or circus peanuts

Oh that is too funny about finishing the sandwiches!! Yes, chocolate should be a meal. We could do fondue or something, lol. I'm going through the list of movies and then writing out the ideas. Then we can reorganize them as snacks, meals, desserts. 

19 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - you have to have Whistle Pops! 

Pete's Dragon - fish and chips

The King And I - Thai food

My Fair Lady - watercress sandwiches, tea, and petit fours.

Ooo tea, I love this!! On the Thai food, is that something we'd do as carryout? I think we might have that in town. I've never eaten it.  

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo tea, I love this!! On the Thai food, is that something we'd do as carryout? I think we might have that in town. I've never eaten it.  

Absolutely!  We don't have a place here so we make our own.  It's pretty easy once you get the flavors down (chilis, lemongrass, coconut milk are used often) and there are simple recipes online.

• Like 1