Menu

What brand of kitchen appliances have proven reliable in your home?

What brand of kitchen appliances have proven reliable in your home?  

1. 1. What brand of kitchen appliances have proven reliable in your home?

• Whirlpool
    • GE
    • Kenmore
    • Frigidaire
    • LG
    • KitchenAid
    • Maytag
    • Bosch
    • Another affordable brand not listed
    • A high end brand that's worth every penny

I have to replace my refrigerator and stove. I guess I will do all the other appliances in phases. They are Kenmore and came with the house from the builder. The refrigerator has never worked properly and now the stove is malfunctioning.

Since we know Kenmore doesn't actually manufacture them, we asked the Sears person who made them and we were told Whirlpool. When they broke, we found out they were actually Frigidaire.

What brands have held up with few problems for you?

Feel free to post your experiences with the brands listed.

If you chose a brand not listed, please post it so I can look it up.

I allowed for more than one vote because some people like one brand for certain appliances and another for others.

Please try to limit your choices to two brands so I can make sense of it all. (This means you Beansprouts!:001_smile:)

Edited by Blessedfamily

My Miele washer and dryer overall have been great.

I didn't vote for more than one - because apparently i'm not awake, but my GE fridge had the ice maker replaced under warranty at 6 months old - and NOTHING since then. It's 14 years+ old.

My Maytag Gemini Range is a piece of garbage - my brothers of the same model started a house fire. Mine isn't that bad, but the burner keeps breaking. I'll be having the 4th service call on it soon. It's either HOT or OFF. They have replaced the top, the burner element, the switch and something else.... they keep dying.

:banghead: (and the service has been bad too)

My cheap dishwasher needed a new pump - but DH put it on for $25. It worked for 7 people worth of dishes for 3 years, and 5 of us the rest. It cleans great, it's loud and it's small. LOL, but it cleans great! I can check the brand when i get up.

Appliances are NOT made like they used to be.... even my 10 year old Miele's can't be replaced as is because they changed them :(

I

If you chose a brand not listed, please post it so I can look it up.

I have an Amana refrigerator. I really like the bottom freezer w/fridge on top. This is my second one -- moved and had to leave the first behind.

All my other appliances are Bosch. They work really well, but do have rather annoying beepers!

HTH

~Moira

I am not going to answer your poll..:crying: Now, if you had asked which ones don't work...GE and Kenmore are on my list. I'm doing dishes by hand as a protest right now. The Kenmore Elite dw is only three years old and already shot. (I'd love to actually shoot it, but I don't own a firearm.)

My mom's Maytag has run for years and years. She almost replaced it to match, but her appliance guy recommend a new panel because the new ones aren't as good.:w00t: If I have to get another new one, I'm leaning toward the Maytag and gulp...an extended warranty.

I am not going to answer your poll..:crying: Now, if you had asked which ones don't work...GE and Kenmore are on my list. I'm doing dishes by hand as a protest right now. The Kenmore Elite dw is only three years old and already shot. (I'd love to actually shoot it, but I don't own a firearm.)

If I ever buy another Kenmore, no matter how many bells and whistles it has, I'm going to write down the serial number, go online and find out who built it before I buy.

I had always heard good things also and we were excited when the builder said he used Kenmore.

Well, the refrigerator malfunctioned at 10 months. We tried to use the one year warranty but Sears informed us that it's one year from when the builder purchased the applaince, not from when you closed on your house.

I just checked the serial numbers to be sure. Frig and stove are made by Frigidaire. Dishwasher is made by Whirlpool.

We have had good luck with Whirlpool Gold series in two houses: 2 dishwashers/2 stoves/1 fridge/1 micro hood

Whirlpool Duet Washer/dryer.

We have had goodluck with an LG micro hood but the fan is soooo loud, I will replace it next year whether it needs it or not.

I have had some warranty work done in the first few months but they were easy to work with, the repairmen were great and everything was covered 100%.

Amana fridge (bottom freezer--LOOOVE it!)

GE flat top range. It's fine. It's a range. It works.

Roper dishwasher (which is made by Whirlpool). Works better than Ex's Bosch.

Whirlpool Duet Washer and dryer. Have had them 6 years and they work great.

I'd avoid Maytag like the plaque. We had horrid luck with our Neptune system and I've had several appliance salesmen say their quality is going downhill.

I have an Amana fridge and stove. Love them both. The stove is about 15 years old now and never had a problem. The fridge is about eight years old and running strong.

I have a four-year-old Frigidaire dishwasher and it is the most horrible appliance I have ever purchased. I have to wash the dishes before I load them, and there's tons of water on everything.

Kitchen Aid dishwasher: little to no repair work and still running good after 19 years.

Amana upright freezer: running with no repair after 35 years. We do have to defrost it as it's so old, and I am sure it will need replaced soooonnn. But it's lasted and lasted.

Kenmore refrigerator: The first we had for over 17 years and it was fine until it wasn't fine. The next only lasted two years. When it went, it went fast and hard: unable to repair. We replaced it with:

Whirlpool Refrigerator: We've only had it for 7 years, but no problems so far. I'm not wild about it, but it was all that was available in this small town when the other frig gave out. (see my issues with Whirlpool below)

Maytag Washer and Dryer: Still running good after 25 years. No repairs needed on the washer. The dryer has had repair two times: the temperature gauge went out; and the barrel stopped turning.

We have had several brands of stoves since most of them came with the parsonages we've been in. I haven't liked any of them. I'd like to choose my own.

We had a JCPenney brand microwave oven that worked with no incidents for over 24 years. We just replaced it 2 years ago with a Panasonic and it is wonderful. No issues so far.

I worked in an appliance store before I got married and had kids, and I will tell you that the most repair calls came in for Frigidaire, GE and Whirlpool. I won't buy Frigidaire or GE. I plan to get rid of the Whirlpool frig and get a Kitchen Aid as soon as finances allow.

Good luck in your search!

PS Kitchen Aid is great for small kitchen appliances: food processor, hand-mixer, stand mixer, slow cooker. I love all of my Kitchen Aid stuff.

Edited by Katia
DEfrost the freezer, not frost it. Sheesh!

Kitchen Aid dishwasher: little to no repair work and still running good after 19 years.

Amana upright freezer: running with no repair after 35 years. We do have to frost it as it's so old, and I am sure it will need replaced soooonnn. But it's lasted and lasted.

Kenmore refrigerator: The first we had for over 17 years and it was fine until it wasn't fine. The next only lasted two years. When it went, it went fast and hard: unable to repair. We replaced it with:

Whirlpool Refrigerator: We've only had it for 7 years, but no problems so far. I'm not wild about it, but it was all that was available in this small town when the other frig gave out. (see my issues with Whirlpool below)

Maytag Washer and Dryer: Still running good after 25 years. No repairs needed on the washer. The dryer has had repair two times: the temperature gauge went out; and the barrel stopped turning.f

We have had several brands of stoves since most of them came with the parsonages we've been in. I haven't liked any of them. I'd like to choose my own.

We had a JCPenney brand microwave oven that worked with no incidents for over 24 years. We just replaced it 2 years ago with a Panasonic and it is wonderful. No issues so far.

I worked in an appliance store before I got married and had kids, and I will tell you that the most repair calls came in for Frigidaire, GE and Whirlpool. I won't buy Frigidaire or GE. I plan to get rid of the Whirlpool frig and get a Kitchen Aid as soon as finances allow.

Good luck in your search!

PS Kitchen Aid is great for small kitchen appliances: food processor, hand-mixer, stand mixer, slow cooker. I love all of my Kitchen Aid stuff.

Thanks so much for sharing. Thank you all!

Our first fridge was a Fridgidaire; it ran well for ::counting fingers:: 18 years or so. We have an Amana now, which is about 10 years old, it's been a good buy, also.

We buy Whirlpool dishwashers--one in California, the same model here in Texas. Both have done good jobs and been trouble free.

I have a catch 22. Everyone who describes a reliable appliance does so because they've had it so many years w/out major ploblems. But I'm wondering if that's because all manufacturers used to make things better "back in the day". Of course, there's no other way to tell reliability than to own something for a long time and see how it goes.

Still, the Amana owners seem very happy. So do the Kitchenaid people. Food for thought.

I have a catch 22. Everyone who describes a reliable appliance does so because they've had it so many years w/out major ploblems. But I'm wondering if that's because all manufacturers used to make things better "back in the day". Of course, there's no other way to tell reliability than to own something for a long time and see how it goes.

Still, the Amana owners seem very happy. So do the Kitchenaid people. Food for thought.

I used to sell appliances a mere 6 years ago at Best Buy. This is very much true - i had a whole list of new things they used in washing machines vs back in the day. It was depressing, nothing is made to last.

I thought right now that really there weren't very many people making appliances? Everyone bought everyone out.

GE won't be an issue because i think they aren't making them after the end of the year anyway.

Hey, the laundry forum, there is a general Appliance Forum, they might have some more info for you too!! (or at least more to read and confuse you).

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

I used to sell appliances a mere 6 years ago at Best Buy. This is very much true - i had a whole list of new things they used in washing machines vs back in the day. It was depressing, nothing is made to last.

I thought right now that really there weren't very many people making appliances? Everyone bought everyone out.

GE won't be an issue because i think they aren't making them after the end of the year anyway.

Hey, the laundry forum, there is a general Appliance Forum, they might have some more info for you too!! (or at least more to read and confuse you).

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

Thanks!

Our Jennair stove and GE dishwasher have lasted 22 years so far. No repairs needed.

Our Maytag frig (was $1200) has been with us 8 yrs and has need two repairs for a total of $450 extra. I will not buy Maytag again. The repairman said Maytags were the worst. He recommended Whirlpool products.

Our GE washer has been fine. Our GE dryer needed to be replaced after 7 years. It was cheaper to buy an entirely new dryer than repair the broken one. The inside metal drum rim wore its plastic structure foundation down. This is common for all dryer brands the repairman said.

The stove is 7 years old. Is that a reasonable amount of time before needing repairs?

I will not try to fix the refrigerator. It has too many issues cosmetic and mechanical and when I looked it up, I found dozens of people with the exact same issues. It was unreal.

The refrigerator part is so cold I have to keep it down on 1 or it will freeze everything. If a burglar ever came in, I could knock him out with a half-gallon of milk, no problem. It's always frozen solid.

The percentages have been consistent. Whirlpool and Kitchenaid always nearly even. Kenmore has jumped up, but that, of course, may in reality be more votes for Whirlpool or whoever manufactured them. (I feel like I'm calling a horse race.)

Of course those are popular brands anyway and would have a larger percentage of owners. Anyway,very helpful and interesting. Thanks!

When I was going to buy a Maytag Neptune the salesman said someone else makes Maytag washers now and that has made a difference in reliability.

Whirlpool makes not only appliances with their name, but KitchenAide (which tend to be higher end), Maytag (which they purchased a few years ago) and Amana. Oh yes, Jenn-Air is now owned by Whirlpool as well.

My niece's husband is an engineer at Whirlpool. I must say that the company is very good to their engineers. (Sort of amusing to be in a social situation with them. You'll get an introduction along the lines of "Hello, I'm Dave. I'm in Laundry. And this is Mary Sue--Refrigeration.")

Jane

Whirlpool makes not only appliances with their name, but KitchenAide (which tend to be higher end), Maytag (which they purchased a few years ago) and Amana. Oh yes, Jenn-Air is now owned by Whirlpool as well.

My niece's husband is an engineer at Whirlpool. I must say that the company is very good to their engineers. (Sort of amusing to be in a social situation with them. You'll get an introduction along the lines of "Hello, I'm Dave. I'm in Laundry. And this is Mary Sue--Refrigeration.")

Jane

It's getting hard to keep track of who owns whom. I wondered if kitchenaid was higher end. I haven't actually started shopping yet, but I'll see who carries that brand.

I'm quite enamoured of my LG appliances. And their customer service is good.

Other than the LGs, everything else we have is Whirlpool. The dishwasher is 5 years old (so, new enough to have been made during the new "disposable" appliance era) and was a rolling kind that we converted to under-the-counter when we remodeled last year. I've never, ever had a problem with it.

The micro / cooktop / oven are only 1.5 years old, but there have been no issues at all with any of them. Ditto the LG armoire fridge.