Menu

I don't think ds got the job

Night Elf

He had a very short interview. The key question that worries me was about his speed in working. They phrase it how many cases can you stock in an hour. Ds's last job wanted him to do 55 per hour and he just couldn't keep up that speed. So when this job asked the question, he said he does 40-45 per hour. That may not be fast enough for them. They told him they had other candidates to interview and they'd call only if he got the job. Since they wanted to interview him the same day they first called, I'm thinking they wanted to hire someone immediately and that didn't happen. I'm a pessimist I know, but I'm thinking he's going to have to apply somewhere else. I'm terribly disappointed. It's location would have worked so well.

I hope you're wrong, but you may well be right. They may well have a cutoff for stocking per hour speed. 

I hate that they can't be bothered to make a quick phone call or email, or at least say, you'll know within the week. 

Stocking is good for not having to deal with customers, but bad because it requires speed. I'm trying to think of behind-the-scenes jobs that don't require speed, but I'm blanking. Maybe a warehouse assistant responsible for signing in deliveries, some stocking, and general cleanup? They are going to want you to build up speed, too, but it's not quite as obvious as "x per hour." 

28 minutes ago, katilac said:

I hope you're wrong, but you may well be right. They may well have a cutoff for stocking per hour speed. 

I hate that they can't be bothered to make a quick phone call or email, or at least say, you'll know within the week. 

Stocking is good for not having to deal with customers, but bad because it requires speed. I'm trying to think of behind-the-scenes jobs that don't require speed, but I'm blanking. Maybe a warehouse assistant responsible for signing in deliveries, some stocking, and general cleanup? They are going to want you to build up speed, too, but it's not quite as obvious as "x per hour." 

He's thinking of applying to Costco as a stocker. We don't know their requirements though. It seems such a big place that all their stockers may drive machines to lift pallets. He can't do that.

Don’t lose hope and try not to over-think this — he may still get the job. 

I think it’s smart to apply for other jobs, whether or not it seems like he will get this one. There’s no reason for him to only apply for one position at a time.

Costco is supposed to be a good place to work, so your son might as well apply. Is there any reason why he couldn’t learn to drive the machines? I doubt it’s necessary for all of their employees to use the equipment, though.

• Like 3

I know waiting to hear is difficult.  I would try not to get overly concerned about the answer to the stocking speed question.  The other applicants may have little experience and not have any clue as to what would be a reasonable answer to that question.  Although his answer was about 20% of what his previous employer was wanting, it may be a reasonable answer in that they are looking to make sure someone doesn't say "500" because they have no clue of what will be involved.

• Like 2

DS applied for 20 jobs when summer started.  He got an interview at *2*.  The first wanted to interview him right away, and when he called the next day to thank the manager for his time he was told that they would make a decision by that Friday.  Well, they didn't call, so he chalked it up to not getting it, but the sign never left the window.  5 WEEKS LATER he received a call offering him the job.  By that point he already had the second interview, which again, was super quick after he applied online/went in to meet the manager to tell her he was interested and had applied, he had gotten the job, and been working for 3 weeks.

Don't let him give up hope.  Some places just are slow, some haven't quite navigated the online application process they're trying to put in place (ds found they weren't even looking at the entered applications unless they had a person tell them), somewhere else might be a better fit.  DS really wanted the first job and ended up glad he didn't get it because the other had better hours & pay.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t worry just yet. He has experience with the job and that counts for a lot. I wouldn’t have had any idea how many cases I could stock in an hour so maybe the other candidates won’t answer it well either. And without experience even if they do provide the ‘right’ number there’s no way to know if they can actually stock that many. 

I wish they’d let people know either way, or at least tell them to call in a week to ask if the job was filled. That way you know to move on. 

• Like 1

I also would not worry yet, though there is no reason for him not to be applying at other places too.

It sounds as if you have no way of knowing if his answer of 40-45 cases per hour is good or bad for this job. Don't base your thoughts about this job on his experience at his other job.  They  may have a different standard, or there may be other factors involved.  Don't guess about job requirements if they are not listed. 

I also wish companies would advise when a candidate does not get the job. That used to be standard, many years ago. I've put in many, many applications and have not heard back. So have my kids. It's lousy, but that's the way it works now.  

So, I would not get discouraged, certainly counsel him not to get discouraged, but also keep moving ahead and putting in applications.  I wish Costco was closer to me; I would apply there!

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I told him he should go ahead and apply other places. He wants to wait a week. So I'm going to tell him he should call the grocery store next Monday and ask if the position has been filled yet. 

He wants to apply to GameStop again. Last time he didn't get called and eventually his online application just disappeared. It didn't stay up long. I guess it expires fast. So he'll do that next week. If he doesn't hear from them, and I have serious doubts he will, he'll apply to Costco. So at least he has a plan.

• Like 1

My son is in the hunt, too--My advice is to have your son go ahead and apply NOW. If he doesn't get the grocery job, he will already be in process for the other one. If he does, and he gets two offers, he can just choose. 

We (well, HE) has wasted SO much time, waiting to be called for interviews and waiting on hearing results. 

Edited by Chris in VA

1 minute ago, Chris in VA said:

My son is in the hunt, too--My advice is to have your son go ahead and apply NOW. If he doesn't get the grocery job, he will already be in process for the other one. If he does, and he gets two offers, he can just choose. 

We (well, HE) has wasted SO much time, waiting to be called for interviews and waiting on hearing results. 

My step son did that too....apply to one job and then wait a week.  I finally said, 'getting a job IS your job.  You apply to several places each week until you find something.'  Once he did that he was hired and working within 2 weeks. 

• Like 2