Menu

Lowering blood pressure

Andani

My father lowered his extremely high blood pressure by cutting his salt intake, quitting beer, and riding an exercise bike for 45min a day. He went from literally off the charts high (he went in to the dermatologists to get something checked and after they took his vitals they told him they wouldn't touch him until he saw his regular doc ASAP) to the upper range of normal within a couple months. No meds because he refuses them.

• Like 1

My dh had high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic.  He started running and within a few months was off all the meds.  He runs at least one hlaf marathon a year but mainly runs year round 3 -4 times a week for around 3 - 4 miles at a time.  

• Like 1

Some more:

Drink 9 grams of beet root powder mixed into water daily. Beets are high in nitrates which convert to nitric oxide (NO) which leads to lowered blood pressure. Improvements are often seen in a few weeks.. Humming and breathing through your nostrils produce NO, too.

Most in the US are not eating enough potassium-rich foods. Very few meet the daily requirement. Same with magnesium but you can use a lotion/gel on your skin as well. Both might help.

• Like 1

I tried every single natural method for several years. In the end, I had to go on meds and am so grateful for them. No side effects whatsoever. For me, blood pressure is one of those things that I can't fool around with. Too much effort and wishful thinking for too long. I still try to be as healthy as possible, but I had to face up to reality. 

• Like 3

I have had a definite correlation between low rbc due to iron deficiency anemia and high blood pressure. The lower my hemoglobin the higher my blood pressure. When my rbc is normal my blood pressure is low. I haven't found a medical reason for it yet but that has been my experience.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2018 at 9:58 AM, Selkie said:

Hibiscus tea is also good for lowering blood pressure. I haven't tried it myself, but know several people who swear by it.

I’ve purchased this in bulk from amazon for Dh. I have a friend who can’t drink it much because her blood pressure hovers at too low and it makes her a bit woozy. 

On 7/28/2018 at 4:10 AM, Negin said:

I tried every single natural method for several years. In the end, I had to go on meds and am so grateful for them. No side effects whatsoever. For me, blood pressure is one of those things that I can't fool around with. Too much effort and wishful thinking for too long. I still try to be as healthy as possible, but I had to face up to reality. 

Same here. Different things worked for me in my 30s and early 40s to normalize rising blood pressure but the closer I got to 50 the higher it crept. My cardiologist said estrogen is protective against hypertension and heart disease and hormone depletion in peri menopause allows the gene expression of you have inherited it. Of course everyone should try to maintain a healthy weight, exercise, moderate intake of sugar (the jury is actually still out on salt), eat real foods, exercise, reduce stress when possible, and generally enjoy life. Supplements and teas are good too if they make you feel better. But  It’s possible to everything you are supposed to do and still develop so-called lifestyle diseases. It’s aggravating lol. Don’t be discouraged if you eventually have to start medication. I used to be so angry and feel betrayed by my body. Now I’m glad it exists and I’ll get to live to see grandbabies one day.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, Barb_ said:

Same here. Different things worked for me in my 30s and early 40s to normalize rising blood pressure but the closer I got to 50 the higher it crept. My cardiologist said estrogen is protective against hypertension and heart disease and hormone depletion in peri menopause allows the gene expression of you have inherited it. Of course everyone should try to maintain a healthy weight, exercise, moderate intake of sugar (the jury is actually still out on salt), eat real foods, exercise, reduce stress when possible, and generally enjoy life. Supplements and teas are good too if they make you feel better. But  It’s possible to everything you are supposed to do and still develop so-called lifestyle diseases. It’s aggravating lol. Don’t be discouraged if you eventually have to start medication. I used to be so angry and feel betrayed by my body. Now I’m glad it exists and I’ll get to live to see grandbabies one day.

Barb, you said it perfectly, far better than I could. It's so true about not feeling discouraged if one eventually needs to go on meds. I used to think that I'm a failure if I need to go on them. I am so thankful for them now! It reminds me of how some new mothers get depressed when they realize that they need to have a c-section. I know a few who have been depressed about it for quite a long time. My attitude is: Relax. The whole point is to have a healthy child and mom. Who cares how the baby was delivered? You tried, you did your best, now let it go. I see blood pressure and all health problems the same way. Try your best and don't get down on yourself if you need meds or whatever. 

• Like 1