Menu

Insurance Roofing Repair?

goldberry

We are getting a new roof as a result of hail damage.  When we get estimates, do we show them the insurance paperwork or no?  Part of me thinks that's kind of stupid, because you are just giving them the price you will pay up front.  Shouldn't they bid like a regular retailer would?  But others have suggested that's what you do, just give them the paperwork and tell them that's what you want. We've never done this before!

We did give the guy our insurance information, but I'm not sure if that's best practice or not.  That salesman got fired before our roof got installed, and I ended up having to threaten to complain to the BBB before the owner intervened and put us on the schedule.  This was a company with a perfect rating with them. I'm mostly chiming in to bump the thread for you.

• Like 1

I think I'd get estimates and then work from there -- If the estimates are equal to or under what the insurance will pay then you're good to go. If an estimate is more then you can perhaps do some negotiating. A new roof is a huge deal. Unless I was really strapped I wouldn't just look for the least expensive bid. Really compare what they say they're going to do, what materials will be used, etc. We had ours replaced a year or so ago, got three bids and ended up going with the most expensive one. That company seemed much more thorough and interested in really doing things right than the two less expensive bids. They detailed some extra things they'd do around our dormers and chimney to help prevent leaks, were much more forthcoming about the shingles that would be used, giving us written info on them and the warranty before we made our decision, etc.

• Like 3

The first roofing company we had look at our roof knew the estimate and he charged us a higher price than the second, who didn't see any estimate first. Not sure if it would have been any different if we had not told the first company that insurance was paying for half the roof, but we are glad we didn't tell the second one until AFTER they gave us the quote. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

The first roofing company we had look at our roof knew the estimate and he charged us a higher price than the second, who didn't see any estimate first. Not sure if it would have been any different if we had not told the first company that insurance was paying for half the roof, but we are glad we didn't tell the second one until AFTER they gave us the quote. 

Similar experience.  We’ve unfortunately had two big insurance issues and have learned that contractors sometimes see dollar signs when they find out insurance is involved.  Going forward, I’d suggest getting estimates prior to giving them the insurance info.  

(Waving to SanDiegoMom in VA, from VA)

• Like 1

Goodness, no, don't tell them or show them that it's an insurance claim.  These are two separate processes.  In our case, the insurance check was made directly to us.  The check is based on the % damage to your roof/age/materials of your existing roof.  The insurance company will want to verify the repairs.....but who you choose to make the repairs is up to you.

Get estimates up front and make sure they are apples to apples comparisons (same quality of roof shingles, same quality and placement of any special underlayment, same repair/replace of vents, if needed. Get at least three bids (and plan on calling six people to get three to show up).  Ask how far out they are scheduling. Some of the companies were booked out over a year.

We ended up with a great roof at a great price, and had our work done in two months. It took a lot of diligent calling, but a lot of our neighbors were *still* waiting a year out to get re-roofed *AND* they couldn't sell their house until the repairs had been completed.  No mortgages were being underwritten without proof of a new roof.  (A massive storm with 4" hail came through and everybody in my neighborhood got hit.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Get at least three bids (and plan on calling six people to get three to show up).

That might require even more calls in my area!  Especially if we get into elk season... 

We have had some severe hail storms in our area and in the city closest to us recently.  I'm expecting things to be backed up.  Fortunately we're not on too tight of a schedule.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:14 AM, goldberry said:

We are getting a new roof as a result of hail damage.  When we get estimates, do we show them the insurance paperwork or no?  Part of me thinks that's kind of stupid, because you are just giving them the price you will pay up front.  Shouldn't they bid like a regular retailer would?  But others have suggested that's what you do, just give them the paperwork and tell them that's what you want. We've never done this before!

Our roofing guy bid that he'd do the roof for what the insurance guys were willing to pay and worked directly with the insurance. So we were only out extra money for the upgrade to the roof plus our deductible.

If the roofing contractor had big less than the insurance was willing to pay we were not going to get "Money in our pocket" -- the insurance still wants to see the paperwork that the roof was done and how much for before they release the check. And you'll still owe your full deductible. By them working with insurance it simplified things some.

ETA: Our roof got redone within two weeks of the hailstorm. I take it this is unusual?

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

ETA: Our roof got redone within two weeks of the hailstorm. I take it this is unusual?

Wow yes!  We're still having hailstorms, so DH figures it's better to wait anyway.

Aside, our insurance cut us a check directly.  It's already in the bank (put in a separate accounts so it doesn't get accidentally spent!)